• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone know if someone makes / sells a standard size deadbolt that does not have a key? I have a single barrel deadbolt in my sunroom door, yet I can't imagine why I would ever unlock that door from the outside. I'm worried give the privacy offered by the sunroom that a burglar would have plenty of time to work.

The best I could find was Masterlock's Night Watch feature that prevents the key from unlocking it. (which sounds like a bad idea if you have devious teenage boys...or maybe not...)

I suppose superglue could accomplish the same thing.

The next step in my security beef up would be changing the strike plate to a 6" or 8" model.

Any other security suggestions, I can't go too far since it's a glass door right off the dining room.

Oh, how hard is that glass? Could I throw a 20# propane tank through it without much effort?

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    If some one wants in I doubt they are worried about locks.. The glass door is an easy entry point...yeah that glass would easily be defeated with a propane tank...

Suggest a Super bright light out side the door. Glass break sensors and motion detectors with a stand alone security system.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Most likely entry, in my opinion, is to break the glass, reach in, and unlock the door. They aren't going to pick the lock.

I have a similar issue, and haven't solved it all that well. I have a mostly glass back door with a deadbolt and locking handle. It also has a locking storm door, but it is glass as well.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Most likely entry, in my opinion, is to break the glass, reach in, and unlock the door. They aren't going to pick the lock.

I have a similar issue, and haven't solved it all that well. I have a mostly glass back door with a deadbolt and locking handle. It also has a locking storm door, but it is glass as well.

I'd suggest I replace that lock with a double barrel, but if you can break the glass to reach in, you could break ALL the glass and walk in.

My home wasn't built for safety...

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Lowes does sell a deadbolt that mounts on the inside of the door. Not the prettiest thing. Double cylinder is usually not recommended because of fire code. A regular good quality keyed deadbolt should keep most honest buglers out. They usually just kick the door in cause they can close the door behind them. & all looks good from outside, where as broken glass can be seen from a distance & prompts investigation by neighbors or the police patrolling .

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Locks stop thieves who aren't committed to stealing. If they really want in, they'll get in.
    I recommend an alarm system with a loud siren that calls for the police.
    I alarmed my house for about $350 and $15 per month with no contract.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I have double cylinder locks on all the doors of my house. I am much more concerned about burglary than fire. Never had any faith in alarm systems. Alarm systems are only as good as your police departments response time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have double cylinder locks on all the doors of my house. I am much more concerned about burglary than fire. Never had any faith in alarm systems. Alarm systems are only as good as your police departments response time.

FYI most insurance companies will discount your homeowners if you have a monitored alarm with fire capabilities. Fun fact: If a fire alarm is tripped you CANNOT call in a false alarm and stop the trucks from rolling even if you know its false because you caused it. They have to arrive and see for themselves. (there were instances in large buildings where a legit alarm triggered in one end, but somebody in the other didnt see it or smell it and assumed it was a false alarm) Imagine bailing out of your burning house and not having to worry that you couldnt get to your cell phone to call it in. The fire dept knows whats going down by the time you wake up enough to get out of bed. Precious minutes that could be the difference between life and death.

I work for a company that installs alarms. By all means, get one. Even if its not monitored, or not from my company. Just get one. While it may not get the cops there quickly, typically criminals dont like noise and attention when they are trying to work, and they wont stick around when the sirens wail. They will be gone before the dispatcher can even send it out to the cops.

And not getting them because you dont trust them sounds like a pansy a** gun grabber's excuse as to why they dont like guns. Dont RELY on an alarm, but dont discount the capabilities of a quality, properly installed and maintained system. And the right monitored fire alarm sensor WONT cause a false alarm like the cheap smoke detectors do. If you get a temperature rise sensor you cant trigger a false alarm by cooking. (unless you manage to drop the sensor in your pasta water. :):

/soapbox

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe today I should figure out our alarm system.

I disconnected one night because the alarm went off when I was making blackened catfish and I couldn't figure out had to turn it off. There's a speaker in the front and all my neighbors prairie dogged to see what's the matter.

Top Bottom