• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If you want to target shoot to 100yds you wont be able to see your hits with anything less than 9X. (Maybe 6X if you have goods eyes and lighting)

Hunting, ringing steel, and target shooting are different needs. Target shooting and not being able to see your hits gets frustrating, you have to wait until you can walk down to see how you are doing. You can go with less power than 9X on a scope but then I would recommend a spotting scope.

In my opinion, if you want something cost effective and fun at the range a 3x9 Scope would be ideal, for example:
    https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-3-9x40-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=978
    They can be had all day for $149.00
    You would be able to use it indoors at 25 yards, out to 100yds and see your hits, and out to 300yds or whatever if you want to try that.

With that said, I also like the suggestions here of a 2x7.

With good glass 6x is plenty at 100 yards, even with crap eyes. And a Crossfire II is NOT good glass.

When one sees the bullet holes and the developing tight group, there could be a tendency to peek on the last shot.
    Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Just sayin' ;)

:): Yeah, gets the ol heart to beating hard, breathing gets crazy, finger develops a mind of its own, and your 1/4 MOA group blows up to 1 MOA. Been there, done that more than I care to think about.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you want to target shoot to 100yds you wont be able to see your hits with anything less than 9X. (Maybe 6X if you have goods eyes and lighting)

Hunting, ringing steel, and target shooting are different needs. Target shooting and not being able to see your hits gets frustrating, you have to wait until you can walk down to see how you are doing. You can go with less power than 9X on a scope but then I would recommend a spotting scope.

In my opinion, if you want something cost effective and fun at the range a 3x9 Scope would be ideal, for example:
    https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-3-9x40-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=978
    They can be had all day for $149.00
    You would be able to use it indoors at 25 yards, out to 100yds and see your hits, and out to 300yds or whatever if you want to try that.

With that said, I also like the suggestions here of a 2x7.

Maybe if your lenses are made of plastic, lol.

With my TA31, being just 4x, I can easily see 223 holes at 100 yards in normal paper targets. I need to wear glasses, of course, but that's what quality glass does for you.

Plinker556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2020
    Central Indiana
    The OP was looking for specific feedback and suggestions and didn't specify a price range, I was just making a suggestion based on my experience.
    With my Strike Eagle 1x6 I have a hard time seeing .223 holes at 100 yds.

TolusD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Dream World
    I had basically the same requirements and started off with a Vortex Crossfire 2. It was really good but then I found one of these right before they disappeared:

https://www.impactguns.com/optics-s...lluminated-bdc-matte-black-019962523465-52346

It's an amazing optic and customized for an AR running 5.56 NATO ball. If you can find one it should be cheap. I paid $70 for mine on closeout because RITON discontinued it for some reason. I have it on a RITON QD mount and it really does return to zero if you take it off and go to irons. When I build my next AR I'll be hard pressed to find something I like this much.

Top Bottom