• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hilary is the most noteworthy in this election but its a widespread issue.
    Why leverage your political clout for a lucrative private sector job when you could get 300k for an afternoon of talking?

Washington's Highest (and Lowest) Speaking Fees - ABC News

From the article

Ben Bernanke - $200K to $400K

Bernanke makes between $200,000 and $400,000 per speaking engagement, according to the New York Times. The former chairman of the Federal Reserve’s international audience reportedly includes “a Middle Eastern bank, private equity firms and trade associations.”

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't know about anyone else, but I would have questions about his loyalties just as harsh as those I have for Hillary at this point. Neither one receives that kind of money because people like the sound of their voices. I fail to see any message Hillary could have worth that kind of jack, and Bernanke is either revealing information on how to game the system, which is inherently dishonest, or owing favors in the event that he returns to a position of influence which, given his age and integration into the system, is at least very possible.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I dunno, how much does Beyoncé get for a gig? Bernanke has certainly done more for this country (right or wrong) and speaks far better and has more to say.

I'd choose the latter.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    For the price of a decent burger and some onion rings, I'll drop more truth and wisdom on you than any of those schmucks.

I give it away for free on INGO all the time.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I dunno, how much does Beyoncé get for a gig? Bernanke has certainly done more for this country (right or wrong) and speaks far better and has more to say.

I'd choose the latter.

If bernanke could fill a stadium of fans I'd say he deserved every penny he gets from ticket sales. If it's cash from one of the banks sitting on trillions of dollars the Fed printed during the crisis... Not so deserving.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If bernanke could fill a stadium of fans I'd say he deserved every penny he gets from ticket sales. If it's cash from one of the banks sitting on trillions of dollars the Fed printed during the crisis... Not so deserving.

This. Paying astronomical speaking fees as a vehicle for claiming that he (and others) earned the money rather than it being a payment for past, present, or anticipated future services is a very thin veneer on a very rotten truth.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Oh c'mon people. It's not a bribe. It's a speaking fee.

That's one thing I wanted to see Bernie just rail Hilary on. Her defense 'name one thing I've done to help the banking industry' Bernie had nothing. He could have pointed out that no bankers went to jail after the financial crisis, that her supporting the status quo is in and of itself a major help to the big banks.
    It's just so blatantly transparent yet she stands there and deflects like it's nothing. That is one of the few silver linings about Trump being the nominee, I'd like to think he'll be fairly strong in his 'criticisms' of Hilary.
    Or he won't in which case we know what he was doing all along.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have not researched a lot but some of my reading suggests that dear ol' Bill & Hillary did ALL (or a vast majority) of their speaking on behalf of the Clinton Foundation, and thus is/was tax free. While IRS code says they must use 5% of the nonprofit's income for its stated purpose, that is the limit on the rules. Thus, they may have legally but unethically made tens of millions of dollars nearly tax free.

I'll bet Trump or anyone looking into it could make a helluva case for corruption and abuse of the system.

Regards,

Doug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's one thing I wanted to see Bernie just rail Hilary on. Her defense 'name one thing I've done to help the banking industry' Bernie had nothing. He could have pointed out that no bankers went to jail after the financial crisis, that her supporting the status quo is in and of itself a major help to the big banks.
    It's just so blatantly transparent yet she stands there and deflects like it's nothing. That is one of the few silver linings about Trump being the nominee, I'd like to think he'll be fairly strong in his 'criticisms' of Hilary.
    Or he won't in which case we know what he was doing all along.

I have no doubt that Trump will be brutally honest attacking her. But he needs to be careful not to do it in a way that's off putting to women when 70% of them already think unfavorably of him.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have not researched a lot but some of my reading suggests that dear ol' Bill & Hillary did ALL (or a vast majority) of their speaking on behalf of the Clinton Foundation, and thus is/was tax free. While IRS code says they must use 5% of the nonprofit's income for its stated purpose, that is the limit on the rules. Thus, they may have legally but unethically made tens of millions of dollars nearly tax free.

I'll bet Trump or anyone looking into it could make a helluva case for corruption and abuse of the system.

Regards,

Doug
    Probably the Clinton Foundation would make a hell of a laundrymat.

Top Bottom