• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Over the last couple of weeks they have been doing Emergency construction on 69 closing the right lane of traffic and making me late to work. I noticed over the last week they have been putting up steel towers about every 10miles or so, and I was wondering what are they putting them up for? Well today on my way to work I happen to look up at a couple of these said towers and they had cameras mounted on them. I am only amusing they are speed cameras cause that is the only logical reason I can guess why they have cameras in BFE along I69 between Anderson and Fishers. :dunno:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I doubt they're speed cameras. There are already cameras mounted on towers along 69 and 465. They're really only used so the powers that be can keep an eye on congestion and weather conditions. Speed cameras have to be relatively close to the ground, in comparison to the tower cams. They have to be able to see the driver and the plates.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Traffic cameras to monitor conditions.
    The blue "C" denotes cameras that you can look at from that page.
    Central Indiana Public Website

^^^^^This

All the cameras feed to a INDOT hub and they monitor traffic and weather/road conditions. They also have the ability to override some stop lights to help increase traffic flow.

No need to be alarmed. ALSO IANAL but I am pretty sure areas monitored by "speed Cameras" have to be marked as such.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    As stated those would be monitoring cameras, and if they're out in the middle of nowhere then they can also be used to help ID broken down vehicles and accident locations when it's going to take a little more time for officers, fire, ems, tow companies, etc to get there due to physical distance. They may also be temporary just to assist as part of construction traffic monitoring.

From the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, as of April 2012
    No Speed Enforcement Cameras in IN, no Redlight Enforcement Cameras in IN, No laws prohibiting them (which I would like to see on a face your accuser basis, there have also been cases in other states prohibiting them on a right to privacy basis)
    Automated enforcement laws

Some of the related IN laws would be:

Also keep in mind there are those that would want to set artificially low speed limits (not based on safety considerations) then cash in on the matter, including those in the legislature, insurance industry and speed camera industry. The story is outdated, but it's a thought to keep in the back of your mind.
    Indiana Lawmakers Push Freeway Speed Cameras

Top Bottom