• rz317

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    Atlanta Conservation Club
    Speed Shotgun Match
    July 11, 2010

Come out and join us in a fun and challenging match that will be sure to challenge your shotgun skills as well your mental game! We learned a lot from our first Speed Shotgun Match, back in March, and this time the Par Times for each stage will be substantially longer. Also, we have acquired additional steel targets since last time, so stages will present more target opportunities as well.

Shooters' Meeting: 9:45 AM
    Match starts immediately following shooters' meeting

SET-UP: Begins around 12:00 Noon on the Saturday July 10. There will also be some set up the day of the match at 8:00 AM. Please email us if you come and help out. A good pair of work gloves is highly recommended. Remember, the more help we get from volunteers like you, the better the matches will be!

The details below as well as additional information is available in the Multi-Gun Details and Scores section at www.atlantacc.net.

Description: This will be a 5-6 stage “Pro Am style” all-shotgun match. Most stages will involve some use of props, and most will also require some movement. Targets will be knock-down steel (plates, poppers, etc.). Most stages may have 30 or more targets. Each stage will have a “Par Time” (time limit). Par Times will be set so that no one will realistically be able to neutralize all the targets… just get as many as you can before time runs out.

Divisions:
    Open: No restrictions on ammo capacity, modifications, or accessories.

Standard: No optics, ports, compensators, speed-loaders, or detachable magazines allowed. Shotguns may not be loaded with more than 9 rounds prior to the start signal, but capacity will not be limited after the start signal.

Standard Manual: Same as Standard Division, but shotgun must have a manually operated action (pump, lever, etc.)

Ammo & what else to bring: Due to the high number of targets (approximately 150-170), we recommended bringing at least 100 rounds. Minimum caliber is 20 Gauge for all Divisions. Lead birdshot only. Some type of shell carriers/pouches are recommended, but additional ammo may be stored in pockets, etc. We also recommend that you bring gloves for resetting lead splattered targets.

Scoring: Each stage has a Par Time that is the maximum amount of time a shooter has to shoot a stage. Par Time will be equal for all Divisions. When the Par Time is reached, the buzzer will sound. There will be no penalty for shots taken overtime but targets engaged/neutralized overtime will not count for score. We will allow 0.3 second buffer to determine if a shot was overtime. Targets must be neutralized to score: steel must fall. Your score on a stage is simply the number of targets you neutralized. Your final match score is the sum of your stage scores. There will be no penalties for targets not engaged or failure to neutralize, unless per the stage description requirement.

Penalties: Shooting from an illegal position will incur one hit penalty per shot fired. Failing to follow stage requirements per the stage description will incur the number of hit penalties stated in the stage description.

Match Fee: $20 per entry.Half price for ROs and Saturday set-up crew

Future Atlanta Multi-Gun Events:
    July 11: Speed Shotgun
    Sept. 12: Multi-Gun
    Nov. 14: Multi-Gun

Last edited:

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    So the competitors are expected to set up targets after paying an entry fee?

Technically you help re-set the targets after each shooter, it helps the match go much quicker and smoother. If you come by on Saturday and help set-up you shoot for less or free.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I was just surprised that at a match where the RO's are compensated and with a 20 dollar entry fee they expect the competitors to work the match as well. Don't remember saying it was a problem...was just curious if I was reading it right.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    ROs are "compensated"? Sorry you hit a nerve here. Have you RO'd a match?

It is a lot of work. It greatly affects your performance. Getting a reduced entry fee or comp'd entry fee is a drop in the bucket for 4 hours plus of running shooters. Not to mention that to be an RO you have to PAY to attend an all day class, learn the rules and pass a test. And retake the test yearly.

Most do it regardless of if they get a reduced entry.

To make a match run at all it takes more than 4 ROs to reset all the targets and keep score.

It is very much a volunteer sport. There is not enough money to pay someone to reset 50+ targets after 50+ shooters in July weather.

If you have not shot one of these, I hope you do. It is a ton of fun for all. And a lot of work for all. Giving volunteer ROs a break on entry is just a small way the MD says
    "thank you" for people stepping up.

Hope to see you at the match. Hope you step up and RO sometime.

If you noticed, you can get the same half price discount as an RO by showing up early and helping with setup.

The $20 goes to the club, to buy the steel, buy the fun gizmos that swing and drop, replace the clays, pay for the gravel, mow the grass, insurance etc. No one is making money on this. It all goes back into running matches and providing a place to shoot.

I sincerely hope you dont see this as an attack. Obviously implying that paying $20 should provide a work free match for a competitor is offensive to me.

I hope to have you come to the event and see what it is all about.

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I was just surprised that at a match where the RO's are compensated and with a 20 dollar entry fee they expect the competitors to work the match as well. Don't remember saying it was a problem...was just curious if I was reading it right.

I am not sure how to respond to this.

Apparently you have never shot any type of action shooting sport, as EVERY ONE of them require that the other shooters in the squad either help paste the paper targets or reset the steel.

Perhaps you should come watch a match before you decide to shoot one, it may have a bit too much physical activity for you.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I just spent three day ROing the GSSF shoot...was much longer than 4 hours, I am an NRA Instructor and Range Officer, I serve as an RO or Match Director at quite a few shoots every year and in the past RO'ed the State and Regional Action Pistol matches as well as the monthly matches in Winamac. I was the creator and Director of the Freedom Match held for several years at my local club till it outgrew our facilities. I never expected a paying competitor to set , paint, or patch targets.

I understand doing so at at club match where there isn't an entry fee other than to cover target cost...normally a couple bucks. As I said it isn't a problem...I just wanted to make sure I knew what was expected. When you have had several back surgeries setting up a bunch of steel isn't always a good thing, in fact I still can't walk well following working the GSSF match in Indy. I do give to this sport...more so than most.

I asked a simple question and immeadiately got jumped...not too friendly...

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I will be there this go round. Can't let Bigcraig show up with that Zombie slayer and not rep a real gun!!! :D

You guys be prepared to finish one spot higher in the overall standings now, I'm bringing game. :cool:

Oh and I'll bring my popper picker upper as well, I cannot dirty my hands. Its one of the guys from the soup Kitchen, he's half blind, usually drunk, and clumsy as hell. but cheap. :alcoholic:

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    I just spent three day ROing the GSSF shoot...was much longer than 4 hours, I am an NRA Instructor and Range Officer, I serve as an RO or Match Director at quite a few shoots every year and in the past RO'ed the State and Regional Action Pistol matches as well as the monthly matches in Winamac. I was the creator and Director of the Freedom Match held for several years at my local club till it outgrew our facilities. I never expected a paying competitor to set , paint, or patch targets.

I understand doing so at at club match where there isn't an entry fee other than to cover target cost...normally a couple bucks. As I said it isn't a problem...I just wanted to make sure I knew what was expected. When you have had several back surgeries setting up a bunch of steel isn't always a good thing, in fact I still can't walk well following working the GSSF match in Indy. I do give to this sport...more so than most.

Im really suprised that if you are that involved you would not have known that.
    I suppose shooting action pistol the targets are not pasted and I guess what steel you use you would never have to reset. I suppose that would be the only 2 kinds of matches that would not require resetting the stage.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Sounds like there may be a few Saigas. I just finished installing my Firebird Mid Barrel Comp. Thats the LAST mod Im doing to this. I have to function check and tune for the reduced recoil spring. It ran well at the last Wildcat match except for the last stage had a FTF. Mike P has his new one as well and he is tuning a couple mags I think for the magwell. You know if Butcher shows everyone else is chasing second place!!

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The 1 oz trigger fingers on people here who jump all over a guy who asks a question about RO'ing and fees is really surprising. It's also lame. Re-read some of these comments as a a new shooter - someone who hasn't ever shot a match. Some real ambassadors here.

One day I hope you learn that there are matches held outside of Atlanta, WVPPS, and South Central. And, that there are gun games beyond USPSA and FNS. And, that those matches, specifically USPSA, haven't always been run the way that they are currently.

Now...who's taking bets that less than half the Saigas that show up, run?

barryG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Carmel, IN

In the GSSF handbook, it asks competators to help paste. At the GSSF match last weekend in Indy, I helped paste and heard the RO's ask others to help paste.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    My appolgies. I shouldnt post when tired.

I hope i didnt totally turn you off to trying this match. It is a lot of fun and a good group of friendly people (even me most of the time).

Please dont let my *****y moment turn this thread into someting it shouldnt be.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    The 1 oz trigger fingers on people here who jump all over a guy who asks a question about RO'ing and fees is really surprising. It's also lame. Re-read some of these comments as a a new shooter - someone who hasn't ever shot a match. Some real ambassadors here.

One day I hope you learn that there are matches held outside of Atlanta, WVPPS, and South Central. And, that there are gun games beyond USPSA and FNS. And, that those matches, specifically USPSA, haven't always been run the way that they are currently.

I'll take that bet:D First place at the last match was with a stock Saiga

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009

Funny how some tube guys really hate the saigas. :)
    A stock saiga runs just as well as any out of the box tuber. Modify them and at this point Id say Ive seen plenty of speed chute specials that gag as much as any moded saiga. The saiga has not has had as many years of competition to fine tune them compared to the chute guns. They are starting to come into their own and given more time and development they are only going to get better. BUT to each his own and I find the saiga fun to shoot.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Funny how some tube guys really hate the saigas. :)
    A stock saiga runs just as well as any out of the box tuber. Modify them and at this point Id say Ive seen plenty of speed chute specials that gag as much as any moded saiga. The saiga has not has had as many years of competition to fine tune them compared to the chute guns. They are starting to come into their own and given more time and development they are only going to get better. BUT to each his own and I find the saiga fun to shoot.

Now to complete the thread jack..Was the comp easy to install? That's the last thing for me to do and I don't want to send it to R&R.

Don't worry about the "tube feeders" It's just magazine envy

Top Bottom