Speeding on 465 and got a ticket (LEO's do it all the time!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you speed on 465?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    For the people voting in the poll, if you drive 60mph on 465, that qualifies you as speeding.

Ok so some time back I got pulled over for 72 in 55 on 465. I was issued a ticket, even with a clean record I was not good enough to get a warning. The problem I have is NO ONE drives 55 on 465. When I was pulled over, the officer told me he pulled me over because I was the lead car, not true I was 3rd in a line of 15 or so cars all going the same speed.

My question is what type of selection process goes through an officers head when it comes time to pull someone over with so many to choose from? Was it because I am the guy from out of town and less likely to be able to make a court date and fight the ticket?

Also, how can you enforce the 55 speed limit fairly? Since my ticket, I have made it a point to get in the fast lane and drive 55 on the dot and everyone is trying to run me off the side of the road! Cars in every lane just fly by me like nothing, a lot of the time while a cop is right beside them and does not pull them over for speeding? At any given time 9 out of 10 drivers on 465 are doing 10+ over the limit and cops ignore it, so why would I think it is not ok? I say either enforce it or don't! You can't pick and choose who you want to cite, yes you can, but that is plain wrong.

One more complaint, why is it ok for cops to speed 10 or 15 over while on duty but not in route to a call? Don't tell me they have more experience driving or they took driving courses to enable them to do so.

-1 to the LEO's who write tickets for doing the same thing they do everyday. "Do as I say, not as I do"?

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My question is what type of selection process goes through an officers head when it comes time to pull someone over with so many to choose from? Was it because I am the guy from out of town and less likely to be able to make a court date and fight the ticket?

Because they need to meet their [STRIKE]quota[/STRIKE] "productivity" numbers. They really don't care who it is.
    One more complaint, why is it ok for cops to speed 10 or 15 over while on duty but not in route to a call?
    Because they have the badge.

Look man, the sooner you realize it's about generating revenue the sooner it will all make sense. The State gets the cash initially and the guys who are "productive" get overtime/special detail perks.

It's all about the benjamins.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Driving 55mph on 465 is dangerous and is risking lot of people that drive on that road, but to drive safe you have to keep up with traffic, but risk getting a ticket.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    Maybe the cop didn't like the way you or your car looked. Maybe he thought you'd make his day? Who knows... Impd is very relaxed IMO as I'm the guy who speeds past and gets upset when drivers clean up they're act when they see the lights. Sometimes your number is up. If you find a lawyer you could easily beat the ticket. Goodluck.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I used to have dinner with an IMPD officer rather often because we both had breaks at the same time and both frequented the same restaurant. Not a lot of options when you are working graveyard. Well, I was talking about some crazy driver I encountered on my commute to work and had mentioned that I was going 75 at the time. Well, I realized that as a cop he might not appreciate my admission and sheepishly explained that everyone was going 75. Well, he was unphased. He just nodded and said, yeah, the speed limit for 465 is 70 or 75 depending on weather and traffic.

So they know. They do it on purpose. Its like how great whites cruising around for sea lions. They go after the fattest ones they are likely to catch and consume. Keep in mind that most cops don't actually like doing traffic stops. Mostly they hope that they can get a good arrest out of it, like finding out you have a warrant or seeing a crack pipe on the dashboard. The supreme court ruled that traffic ticket "quotas" are unconstitutional. Most departments do require that you make a certain number of "contacts" per night. This is why you might get a warning for going 75 one day and a ticket the next. It depends on the officer and the offense and the offender. If you are crabby, you are probably going to get a ticket. If you are calm and congenial, maybe you won't. Then again, cops are only human. Sometimes you get one who does nothing but write tickets. I know a cop who wrote 85 tickets in a month once. He was just a reservist at the time. The judge asked the people in the courtroom how many people were issued a ticket by that officer. Everyone in the room raised their hand. The judge said, "Cases dismissed." and whacked the gavel. Wasn't IMPD though.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    So what if the LEO's are driving faster than you. If a LEO drove off the side of a bridge, are you going to follow him?
    Driving 55 in the fast lane while traffic is having to pass on the right side of you will get you a ticket for impeding traffic. If you drive 65 or less on 465 and are not weaving in and out of traffic or tailgating, the troopers usually leave you alone.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So what if the LEO's are driving faster than you. If a LEO drove off the side of a bridge, are you going to follow him?
    No but what is good for the Goose is good for the Gander....
    I was always told if you are going to enforce anything you had better make sure you are in the right as well...

Driving 55 in the fast lane while traffic is having to pass on the right side of you will get you a ticket for impeding traffic.
    Really?!
    I am curious could you please Cite the IC to back this up...

If you drive 65 or less on 465 and are not weaving in and out of traffic or tailgating, the troopers usually leave you alone.
    BS...

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    No but what is good for the Goose is good for the Gander....
    I was always told if you are going to enforce anything you had better make sure you are in the right as well...

Really?!

BS...

Technically you driving 55mph is impeding traffic and endangers your life and everybody else around you. I highly doubt you'll get a ticket though because you are driving the limit.

I really do think it's a catch 22 though

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy

IC 9-21-5

IC 9-21-5-7
    Reduction of speed; impeding normal and reasonable movement; right-of-way to other vehicles
    **** Sec. 7. A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law. A person who is driving at a slow speed so that three (3) or more other vehicles are blocked and cannot pass on the left around the vehicle shall give right-of-way to the other vehicles by pulling off to the right of the right lane at the earliest reasonable opportunity and allowing the blocked vehicles to pass.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    What chaps my backside is when the LEO's are doing 15-20 over with their civvies on and their kids in the backseat of the car. I see this at least every week.

I've gotten 2 tickets on 465 in 7 years so I now put my cruise control on 60 as soon as I get on it. I go from Mooresville to Carmel daily so I get to see quite a bit of 465.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    IC 9-21-5

IC 9-21-5-7
    Reduction of speed; impeding normal and reasonable movement; right-of-way to other vehicles
    **** Sec. 7. A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law. A person who is driving at a slow speed so that three (3) or more other vehicles are blocked and cannot pass on the left around the vehicle shall give right-of-way to the other vehicles by pulling off to the right of the right lane at the earliest reasonable opportunity and allowing the blocked vehicles to pass.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

Looks to me 55 in the fast lane is just fine...

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Driving 55mph on 465 is dangerous and is risking lot of people that drive on that road, but to drive safe you have to keep up with traffic, but risk getting a ticket.

Really, you are going to use that as an excuse. Everytime I go through the Indy area in a semi I do the speed limit which is 55 mph. I have not caused a single accident or been a part of a single accident while driving the speed limit.

Top Bottom