• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The retardedness never ends, does it? It defies my understanding that this much stupidity can be compacted into so small a construction project. Cutting off a principle route which is totally unnecessary and spending $15M to do it. Must be somebody's brother in law doing the construction, pocketing a dollar for every dollar the project should cost, including profit margin. Perhaps part of the nonsense is guaranteeing their prophecy about reducing accidents. They could have done that by simply cutting off Georgetown Road and spending less than $15K (as opposed to $15M) doing it. After all, the reduction in accidents will come from cutting the traffic flow roughly in half, not from the unicorn magic imbued into the roundabout by its nature.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    The fact that 16th street doesn't feed directly into the roundabouts is a mistake IMO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are seriously going to hate it. Georgetown rd will be cut off at 25th and all that north south traffic will be routed through endless school zones and the town of Speedway.
    I am going to post up and watch the 1st few days as the idiots smash and crash around that thing. It will be hilarious.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The retardedness never ends, does it? It defies my understanding that this much stupidity can be compacted into so small a construction project. Cutting off a principle route which is totally unnecessary and spending $15M to do it. Must be somebody's brother in law doing the construction, pocketing a dollar for every dollar the project should cost, including profit margin. Perhaps part of the nonsense is guaranteeing their prophecy about reducing accidents. They could have done that by simply cutting off Georgetown Road and spending less than $15K (as opposed to $15M) doing it. After all, the reduction in accidents will come from cutting the traffic flow roughly in half, not from the unicorn magic imbued into the roundabout by its nature.

Georgetown rd. is not the reason for accidents at that intersection. It is confusing at best.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Georgetown rd. is not the reason for accidents at that intersection. It is confusing at best.

I didn't really believe it was, just that if any improvement is going to be realized it is most likely going to be the product of dropping sheer volume not that they are actually improving anything. Assuming that the high-accident characterization is correct to begin with, I fail to see any cause other than cranial-rectal inversion. Seriously, after leaving your place, I drove through it with one eye and didn't have any trouble.

I would also like to know where all the money is going. I know it has been about 15 years, but highway 40 was rebuilt from scratch through Plainfield from 267 to Raceway road for less than double what they are spending on ONE DAMNED ROUNDABOUT! I know there has been some inflation, but not that much!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    They're becoming more prevalent... Maybe someday people around here will understand how to use them.

I don't know how many times I've come up to one behinds somebody [nobody else around] and they come to a COMPLETE stop at the YIELD sign and then wait like something is supposed to happen.

Wife today going through a roundabout saw an older couple that went left [wrong way] on the round-about to make a left turn on the next road rather than going around the roundabout passing the 2 other roads to get to the one they needed...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They're becoming more prevalent... Maybe someday people around here will understand how to use them.

I don't know how many times I've come up to one behinds somebody [nobody else around] and they come to a COMPLETE stop at the YIELD sign and then wait like something is supposed to happen.

Wife today going through a roundabout saw an older couple that went left [wrong way] on the round-about to make a left turn on the next road rather than going around the roundabout passing the 2 other roads to get to the one they needed...

There is that problem. I will add that the confusion is compounded by a distinct lack of standardization in construction, including and especially multi-lane examples with lanes that terminate without warning. It is bad enough dealing with people who just don't understand them at all, but the latter problem makes it dangerous for people who understand roundabouts but do not have previous experience with [this particular] roundabout.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I had never been through a two-lane round-about before... That was a bit unnerving the first couple times as they were extremely busy when I came across them... All 7 or so I went through on one road. By the 7th I felt like a pro.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't really believe it was, just that if any improvement is going to be realized it is most likely going to be the product of dropping sheer volume not that they are actually improving anything. Assuming that the high-accident characterization is correct to begin with, I fail to see any cause other than cranial-rectal inversion. Seriously, after leaving your place, I drove through it with one eye and didn't have any trouble.

I would also like to know where all the money is going. I know it has been about 15 years, but highway 40 was rebuilt from scratch through Plainfield from 267 to Raceway road for less than double what they are spending on ONE DAMNED ROUNDABOUT! I know there has been some inflation, but not that much!

They have been re-routing and improving all the underground infrastructure through there for a couple of years. Sewage/drainage/buried cables etc that feed those factory's and residential. They have been steadily working up to this.
    I believe this project will clean up that corner as many of the buildings/businesses were in a bad state. Most are gone now and it already looks better.
    I am still Pi$$ed they are removing Georgetown rd. from 25th to that intersection.

This will be a crash-fest until the local idiots learn how to use the thing. LEO will be very busy for a good while. There will be a steady back back log through there unless they change the light timing along the entire stretch up to and past Tibbs ave.

Top Bottom