• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theblackhat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Bremen
    I've read a lot about Speer. They seem to come recommended by shooters all around.
    I recently picked up some Speer ammo for my SIG .357 and headed to the range.
    I also had some Federal American Eagle founds. Both are FMJ rounds with the Speer having nickle cases and the AE having brass.

Out of the first 20 rounds of Speer, I had eight jams and three misfires due to the slide not sitting all the way forward; just a hair from being flush.
    In one case, the jacketing actually sheared a bit from the core as the round jammed.

In the case of the AE rounds, not a single problem. Flawless, consistent chambering and firing.

WHAT is going on with these SPEER rounds? Has anyone had similar problems?
    IS there a solution other than giving those rounds away?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Dumb question that I think I already know the answer to:

Are you 100% positive that these are factory-loaded ammunition and not reloads of some kind?

Next dumb question: Any issues with this gun prior to now with other brands of ammo?

-J-

theblackhat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Bremen
    Are you 100% positive that these are factory-loaded ammunition and not reloads of some kind?

Next dumb question: Any issues with this gun prior to now with other brands of ammo?

-J-

I've had no problems with previous rounds:Hornady, AE or Fiocchi. What would it matter if these Speers are reloads and not factory?

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    It is possible that the cartridges were loaded with 9 mm bullets.

I have seen this happen with the winchester pdx1s there is a post about it
    somewhere. Compare the bullets against another brand, and see if there is
    any obvious difference. [apparent bullet set back, more conical shape,
    more round shape, bullet extends further from case mouth than others]

EDIT: found the link= https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...r_customer_and_a_valuable_lesson_learned.html

Then call or email speer and inform them of the problems you're having.
    I'm sure they will be interested.

The 9mm and .357 sig bullet are nearly identical, and shouldn't damage your
    weapon, but if it is the wrong projectile it'll jam.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Sounds kinda like the Speer are loaded too long and hitting the rifling. What's the OAL?

If they're reloads, it's also possible the shoulder isn't set back far enough.

So, yeah, it matters alot if they're reloads or factory.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What would it matter if these Speers are reloads and not factory?

If they were reloads, I would question if they were properly resized. Also, if too much crimp is applied using downward pressure, you can slightly buckle the shoulder just enough it can prevent the slide from fully going into battery. The Lee FCD uses a collet that applies pressure from the side, eliminating any chance of this happening...

From your OP, sounds as you might have (2) issues.... I would first take your barrel out and drop a round into the chamber and see if it freely drops so the back of the case sits flush or just below the hood. Any sizing issues, buckled shoulders, or an OAL issue will show at this point.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've had no problems with previous rounds:Hornady, AE or Fiocchi. What would it matter if these Speers are reloads and not factory?

Everything would matter and possibly determine why they are causing problems. Also, if they are not properly resized, one can only assume they may also not be properly charged. In which case could cause serious injury to yourself and others near you.

If they are not factory and you cannot be sure that they are not reloads, I would not attempt to shoot them again. Otherwise, call Speer and give them the lot number and the problems that you are having.

Is this Speer ammo in a Lawman box or a Gold Dot box? To my knowledge they should be Lawman if they are not hollow point projectiles, and all of the Lawman ammo I've seen has been brass cased, not nickle plated. They could have changed it since I haven't seen any since I started reloading, but the pictures on Midway still show them being brass cased without a nickel plating, which would lead us to presume that what you have is actually reloaded ammunition instead of Speer ammunition.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Everyone makes mistakes on loading ammunition. Personal reloaders and Factories. Some are honost some are from not paying attention or skimmping and taking a short cut.

If they were reloads I would discontinue their use. I personally don't shoot anyones reloads but my own.

As far as factory ammo always inspect it. I shoot and or witness hundreds of thousands of factory JHP ammo go down range for qualification and training every year. I have found brand new factory ammunition JHP with primers in backwards, some with no primer and just the other day a JHP bullet loaded backwards in the case. First time I have seen what looked like a full wadcutter since the revolver days! I use them for a training aid as to why we practice malfunction drills.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    It is possible that the cartridges were loaded with 9 mm bullets.

The 9mm and .357 sig bullet are nearly identical, and shouldn't damage your
    weapon, but if it is the wrong projectile it'll jam.

Just to clarify:

My personal experience is that some 9mm JHPs will load and function just fine in a .357 SIG. There might be some flat nose that would work OK too.

The problem comes with regular round nose FMJ 9mm bullets - like the NATO spec rounds. They have too much of a long, tapering ogive. If you set them back far enough to be within COL spec, you will have the case mouth trying to clamp down on the tapered part of the bullet and nothing to grip. Or if you leave the bullet out where the case mouth can clamp on the .355 part of the bullet, the COL will be too long.

A cheap reload operation could just possibly make this mistake... but man, it would have to be a pretty slapdash gang of fools.

theblackhat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Bremen
    From your OP, sounds as you might have (2) issues.... I would first take your barrel out and drop a round into the chamber and see if it freely drops so the back of the case sits flush or just below the hood. Any sizing issues, buckled shoulders, or an OAL issue will show at this point.

I tried that. Nothing I could see. Everything sat flush. What I did notice is that there is this very slight bevel on the nickle casing at the butt end.
    Here's a standard round like the Federal:
    300px-357_SIG_-_FMJ_-_SB_-_1.jpg

And here's a Speer: Maybe I'm seeing things, but there seems to be more bevel on the end. Could this paly a part in jamming?
    vqbWA.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Weird issue is...weird.

The 2nd and 3rd rounds pictured above - are those rounds that attempted to chamber but didn't?

It does indeed look like the case mouth isn't as tight as it should be.

I'd personally not try to shoot them, the bullet set-back looks substantial.

Also note: I don't think we're dealing with reloads. Looks to be factory-produced Speer ammo using correct projectiles. Ammo manufacturers have problems, too. Surprisingly there aren't more considering how many rounds are produced, but that's a different story.

But to be sure, OP, where did you buy the Speer ammo? Do you remember?

(Note, I'm not a reloader and am only casually acquainted with the .357 Sig cartridge)

-J-

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I tried that. Nothing I could see. Everything sat flush. What I did notice is that there is this very slight bevel on the nickle casing at the butt end.
    Here's a standard round like the Federal:
    300px-357_SIG_-_FMJ_-_SB_-_1.jpg

And here's a Speer: Maybe I'm seeing things, but there seems to be more bevel on the end. Could this paly a part in jamming?
    vqbWA.jpg

If your round drops freely and to the proper depth into your chamber, the slide should be going to full lock up.

I also agree you have either some significant set back or the (2) rounds on the right were seated too deeply initially. If it were due to attempted chambering, just how many times did you chamber them to acquire that much set back ? I see .056 between the longest and shortest. On the other hand, if these weren't chambered, but rather they are that inconsistently loaded, I'd say that would be your problem right there.

I don't see the bevel on the ass end you speak of. I do see the case mouth having the appearance the bell wasn't turned back in after loading on the (2) with set back. I think it just appears like that because they are now seated too deeply and the case mouth in now actually on the ogive.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The one in the middle looks like it still has bell from reloading process. Yes that will cause failure to return to battery.
    The way you check that is to measure the very end of the case where the bullet enters. Then measure a little farther down, it should be a least -.002 difference for a good crimp.

Top Bottom