• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I recently received notification about this ammo and never heard about Carbine 9mm ammo; specifically

Speer Gold Dot G2 Carbine 9mm Luger Ammo 135 Grain Hollow Point​

What is the difference and what are the benefits? Can you use this in a handgun, any dangers?

Cost is $1.12 per round!!!
    . IMG_0549.jpeg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I understand that. I was wondering what makes a 9mm a carbine 9mm versus standard 9mm.
    Carbine length barrels increase velocity. JHP bullets designed to perform well at normal handgun velocities may overexpand and underpenetrate at increased carbine velocities. I’m guessing that this carbine specific ammo addresses that.

Makes little difference for FMJ ammo, obviously. Just a little more penetration at increased velocity.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Carbine length barrels increase velocity. JHP bullets designed to perform well at normal handgun velocities may overexpand and underpenetrate at increased carbine velocities. I’m guessing that this carbine specific ammo addresses that.

Makes little difference for FMJ ammo, obviously. Just a little more penetration at increased velocity.
    They also may use a slower burning powder to reach higher velocities out of a longer barrel. I did some experiments years ago with, umm... un-named powder in 40 S&W in a Kel Tek SUB2000 and achieved better than 10mm handgun ballistics. Probably not the best idea in a straight blowback firearm but it was interesting….

Do they list any kind of velocity? If do, do they specify a barrel length?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Interestingly they do not specify barrel length with their muzzle velocity. For comparison, 9mm gold dot 124gr has a listed MV of 1150 out of a 4” barrel and 9mm + p Gold dot LE 1220 in 4”

“For the first time ever, defenders can get Gold Dot's legendary accuracy and terminal performance in ammunition built specifically for carbine platforms. Gold Dot® Carbine produces ideal velocities through carbine-length barrels and cycles flawlessly. The G2®-style, elastomer filled bullet nose is tuned to produce extremely effective penetration and expansion through common barriers.
    • Gold Dot G2-style bullet
    • Elastomer-filled nose for better expansion through barriers
    • Loaded for optimal velocities and feeding in carbines
    • Effective penetration and expansion through common barriers

SPECS​

Caliber9mm Luger
    Grain Weight135
    Muzzle Velocity1170

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I read somewhere you should not use this carbine ammo in a handgun. No specific reasons given.
    giphy.gif

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I understand that. I was wondering what makes a 9mm a carbine 9mm versus standard 9mm.
    I would expect slower burning powders that would take advantage of the longer barrel's longer dwell time to deliver higher velocities. They would likely perform poorly out of 3.5 or 4 inches

Top Bottom