• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    It's all assembled and lubed, I used Gun Butter but it seems pretty thin, not sure if grease is a better alternative or not, I've seen the 10w motor oil suggestion*** any advise?

Spikes Lower & Upper, Daniels Defense 14.5" Light Weight Barrel, Daniels Low Profile Gas Block, VTAC 13" X-treme battle rail ,Smith Industries Flash Hider, LMT SOPMOD, Gun Fighter M Charging Handle, Spikes BCG, Primary Arms Red Dot.

Gonna pick up a Harris Light weight Ultra Bipod next and then decide on final optics choice at some point

IMG_3755-1.jpg

IMG_3756.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3761.jpg

Last edited:

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Gunbutter is a great lube for any firearm, AR included. I usually lube my bcg's with gunbutter and use metalshield for everything else in the rifles. Very nice build and great choice in parts.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Looks great!

This is why ARs are so great, because I'm not sure I've seen a build quite like this one before. It looks very versatile.

Putting a magnified optic on there will really set it off. By swapping out the grip, stock, and optic you would also have a light and handy carbine for close-up work.

Well done! :yesway:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Nice. Did they install the low pro gas block and Viking handguard at Spike's or did you do that?

Thanks guys***,,I ordered all of the parts and assembled it myself, except for the lower they charge $10 to assemble the LPK so I had them do it.

We also picked up a Padded VTAC sling as well, not shown

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I'm a little confused by this build. It looks like you tried to go multi-purpose...? You have a 14.5 barrel and a red dot, which one would think, ok lightweight, fighting rifle. Then, you have a giant rail, grip with a palm guard, and bipod. Ok, so is this supposed to be a "precision" rig. Then you come with a sling..hmm is he carrying this rifle?

I don't know, it may work well for multi-purpose, but I think you mixed and matched too much and you will find yourself revamping this build at some point.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Nice. How do you plan on attaching it?

The SOPMOD has a LMT QDC sling attachment and we will put a QDC sling attachment on the 9-o'clock position of the VTAC.

This is why ARs are so great, because I'm not sure I've seen a build quite like this one before.

I agree, this is what a 13 year old chose, I just assembled the parts.

Now that he has his own, I might go back to the plastic handrails on mine and take the DD Light Rail off, :dunno:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I'm a little confused by this build. It looks like you tried to go multi-purpose...? You have a 14.5 barrel and a red dot, which one would think, ok lightweight, fighting rifle. Then, you have a giant rail, grip with a palm guard, and bipod. Ok, so is this supposed to be a "precision" rig. Then you come with a sling..hmm is he carrying this rifle?

I don't know, it may work well for multi-purpose, but I think you mixed and matched too much and you will find yourself revamping this build at some point.

Oh yeah...We have all the bases covered:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I expect that he will be taking the palm guard off at some point and we had the Red Dot already so he put it on,, no rhyme that would explain why you could get confused....:yesway:

He had been wanting a scope and bipod so I was OK with that, and the slig can go on either weapon.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    That should work well.

Have you seen these?

Viking Tactics: VTAC Rail-less Sling Swivel Mount

I like that, if we can mount it into the slotted holes closest to the front

Just a side note for anyone considering the VTAC 13" rail,, the ID is only 1.375" ******,, I had to grind down the mounting nut bar in side the hand rail just to get the hand rail to rotate for installation because the nut bar is under the gas block***, I called VTAC and they said the ID was 1.500",, so I said great,, but it is not and it is a very tight squeeze in there.

was looking at this
    F6vDLwX1Ocw7zTxZifrTcyvQD96M_eMJPBapYoTbFEpCrrCkprktttT-L_Z4U0g-p7FpFCaaNz_VdROgwJNZoIyrXqV8SYYXiAvWfwNx9RzDVgQIQqB4AHinXpm8xlPTd49SN2liF8Nt9S6h8Et-xC0_JP5HIs3K0g

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    was looking at this
    F6vDLwX1Ocw7zTxZifrTcyvQD96M_eMJPBapYoTbFEpCrrCkprktttT-L_Z4U0g-p7FpFCaaNz_VdROgwJNZoIyrXqV8SYYXiAvWfwNx9RzDVgQIQqB4AHinXpm8xlPTd49SN2liF8Nt9S6h8Et-xC0_JP5HIs3K0g

That's a nice piece (I've had one before), but it leaves you bolting it a section of rail, that is then bolted to the tube. By going with the VTAC mount, it eliminates one of those steps and bolts it directly to the tube, making for a more stable platform altogether, with less change of something coming loose.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    That's a nice piece (I've had one before), but it leaves you bolting it a section of rail, that is then bolted to the tube. By going with the VTAC mount, it eliminates one of those steps and bolts it directly to the tube, making for a more stable platform altogether, with less change of something coming loose.

I agree, I think I'll order the VTAC bolt on.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I like it. I've got a grip like that on my 20" Colt target gun and they are pretty comfy. Yours does have a little identity crisis but a magnifier could easily cure that.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    He is wanting a scope for it, so that will wrap it up for now.

I did order a longer YHM Picatinny rail adapter for the Bipod, we got a Shooters Ridge 6"-9" Bipod instead of the Harris.

YHM-638.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom