• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Sorry, I'm not buying it. LEOs are at a greater risk... you can't argue around it. It's part of the job. You are not responding to people with gun calls and other violent crimes and actually going out to FIND the bad guys on a daily basis.

I gave one specific example. I said home invasion for a point of discussion. I don't think you are at any more risk of a home invasion than the rest of us or in any more danger in the course of it. In fact the risk of occurrence could conceivably be less by virtue of the police cruiser that is likely parked in your driveway. Of course a LEO is going to be in harm's way more frequently. My point was that when the harm arises your need is no more & no less than a non-LEO. I was referring to the gravity rather than the frequency.

As gtech said, I don't think any of us are saying that citizens should not have rifles. I tell all of my friends to get one b/c they are excellent for home defense. But, restricting sales to officers because they are officers is no better than restricting to citizens because they are NOT officers.
    Great, but why should you be treated special? I agree you are in a profession with an increased frequency of danger and an AR with 30 rounders & a handgun with standard capacity mags are vital tools of your trade. But that at most would give reason to have the tools while you are on the clock. Are you volunteering to store your AR & standard cap mags in the precinct arms locker when you are not on duty? (I would imagine not, & it would be an absurd requirement.)

I think the LEOs here are missing the point. The intent is not to deprive LEOs of the tools they need. Instead, it is to apply [largely symbolic] pressure to the politicians to prevent them from depriving the rest of us of the tools we need.
    We agree you should have the tools you need. But restricting LE sales is a viable short-term means of combating bans. LEO & non-LEOs alike have a legitimate need for ARs & standard capacity mags.

Now watch as amazingly my words are twisted into an idea that I hate individual freedoms... happens every time.
    We have an obviously understandable difference of opinion. I just have to reiterate we (I) are not against you having the tools you need. You should have them. But when the rest of us are out around the city and the nearest squad car is 5-10 minutes away, we have no less need of the proper tools to defend ourselves than you do. To that end, you should not be treated differently. If 10 rounders are good enough for us, then by that logic they must be good enough for you.
    Now obviously, arbitrary mag limits are absurd for both LEO & non-LEO, since the politicians who pass the laws don't know if 1 round will stop the threat or if 11 may be needed. Accordingly, mag limits & AW bans should not be inflicted upon any citizen. But we should not carve out exceptions for certain classes.

Last edited:

JC PAINT WORKZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Good for them. Law enforcement agencies do not have higher power of the 2A it was put there for ALL citizens! I like where this is heading! Keep it up companies! Now if only there wasnt a 12 month wait on their lowers LOL

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I draw no distinction with Agencies. Name me one thing your whole Department needs that I shouldn't be able to buy (assuming I feel like ponying up the dough). For that matter name me one thing the whole damn FBI needs that I shouldn't be able to buy.

My point is this - in New York, they are saying that I AM PROHIBITED from buying stuff that your AGENCIES/DEPARTMENT _can_.

THAT is why I support the companies that won't sell to one group what they are prohibited from selling to another group.

We could just as easily say that all people of Polish descent (or White or Black or [insert religion here]) should be unable to own certain firearms.

Instead it's all "Non-Professionals", that can't buy stuff. Maybe this explains why there's a lot of pissed off people right now. It's not an anti Leo thing. We the people, are being discriminated against - because we are "non-professionals" (using your term).

Hopefully that explains why people are a bit hot under the collar right now.

I realize that you are out there every day and that it doesn't let up. THANK YOU for your service. The fact that there's a stalker out there that took a shine to my daughter doesn't let up either. Even if I'm not a professional cop and I have no department or agency to represent my needs. I know that YOU aren't suggesting that you should be able to buy something that I can't here, right? That said in New York that's _exactly_ what they are saying.

...what ArmedProgrammer said ^^^^^up there^^^^^ /\ /\ /\...

:yesway:

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I wrote spikes and told them thanks for supporting our rights and that i would buy a upper from them just for what they did. Well in a few years when they are in stock.

Top Bottom