• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    I am starting my journey into the AR rifle. I've been doing a lot of researching, asking questions and wading through the biases to try and get as much concrete info as possible.

What I've been told and what I've been reading is that Noveske makes a rugged shooter. It is designed and can be run hard with minimal fear of breakdown. Basically, it's not just a plinking rifle. I have also become interested in Spike's Tactical, but I am having a hard time finding people's reviews of their rifles in regards to durability.

I am curious if anyone here has experience with their products in this regards.

My over all goal is that I am looking to get a SBR, suppressed in 300 BLK. These are a couple that keep coming up and I am curious to get this board's feed back.

Thanks for taking the time!

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    honestly i dont know if the zombies care either way..........

jake
    :):

Very true! Outside of the need to dispatch the walking dead, I plan on taking a few carbine courses and would like a gun that can handle the workload with minimal, non-operator caused malfunctions.

Outside of that and range practice, the only opportunity I could even possibly see myself using it is in some kind of home defense scenario where the short barrel and suppression can actually be helpful and not just tacti-cool. I do understand that that scenario is unlikely even though it is possible.

Don't get me wrong, the "bad-ass" factor of a suppressed, SBR is playing into the decision making process. ;) But, I don't plan on making AR collecting/building/modifying a hobby. I just plan on buying the one gun that can meet my wants and forseeable needs, so I don't mind paying the extra coin for it. That is the reason for my question.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    I bought a Spikes stripped upper and lower receiver and put together my own. Nice stuff. Have no experience with Noveske, but hear theirs is good as well. Can't go wrong whichever direction you choose.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I seriously doubt you will run the rifle hard enough to get the benefit of the noveske. That being said Noveske's are just the cats pajamas. Spikes makes good stuff also but if you have the ability to get the noveske then go that way.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Also if you are really interested in a rifle that just flat out runs check out Bravo Company, I just finished a build on one and they run very hard and work like they should.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Of the two I'd give the nod to Noveske. But Spike's is great if you find the Noveske too spendy. I like them both. My SBR is half Noveske (upper) and half Spike's (lower). :yesway:

2qn5g80.jpg

i2nc51.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/121565-my_ar_sbr_build_in_progress.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view_spikes_tactical_st_15_m4_le_carbine.html

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have both. My 'veske is a carbine d.i. and the Spike's is a midlength. The midlength seems smoother but the 'veske is just damned accurate and bomb-proof. It runs!
    :twocents:

If you do choose one,I would shop for a mid-length d.i. or piston. My son has a CMMG piston that is soooo schmooth!!!

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    Of the two I'd give the nod to Noveske. But Spike's is great if you find the Noveske too spendy. I like them both. My SBR is half Noveske (upper) and half Spike's (lower). :yesway:

Thanks for the input! Did you already have the Spike's lower when you got the Noveske upper? What do you like about the Spike's lower over the Noveske lower?

I have both. My 'veske is a carbine d.i. and the Spike's is a midlength. The midlength seems smoother but the 'veske is just damned accurate and bomb-proof. It runs!
    :twocents:

If you do choose one,I would shop for a mid-length d.i. or piston. My son has a CMMG piston that is soooo schmooth!!!

I'm looking at getting an AR for the 300 BLK cartridge with the 8" barrel. I don't think I get the choice. I am admittedly still fairly ignorant and trying to educate myself before I buy. Why do you recommend the mid-length or piston?

Thank you both for the responses.

P.S. I see this got moved to Longguns. Sorry about the misplacement. I was trying to inquire about general product durability for these two manufacturers so, I put it in general.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Did you already have the Spike's lower when you got the Noveske upper?

No, I was so impressed with Spike's I built the entire lower with their parts. Lower, enhanced LPK, and buffer parts.

What do you like about the Spike's lower over the Noveske lower?

Price. $85 Spike's vs. $150+ for the Noveske (plus they were hard to find).

I'm looking at getting an AR for the 300 BLK cartridge with the 8" barrel.

An 8" 300BLK barrel actually uses a pistol-length gas system. So you don't need to worry about the above.

Last edited:

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    An 8" 300BLK barrel actually uses a pistol-length gas system. So you don't need to worry about the above.

That's what I thought.

Since I am not familiar with assembling AR rifles (uppers or lowers), what is your opinion on their complete lowers? Do you know what their "enhanced" lowers have that make them enhanced?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Since I am not familiar with assembling AR rifles (uppers or lowers), what is your opinion on their complete lowers? Do you know what their "enhanced" lowers have that make them enhanced?

My lower is their standard lower (they do make some expensive billet uppers as well), but the LPK (lower parts kit) is their "enhanced" version. That means it came with their Battle Trigger, KNS anti-rotation pins, ambidextrous safety levers, Ergo grip, and billet trigger guard.

Lower Kit - Spike's Enhanced Parts Kit [SLPK301] - $149.95 : Spikes Tactical

Whether they assemble it or you do it yourself, they are good parts and would serve you just fine.

Thunder219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    i just picked up a noveske mk18 on here for an sbr project and was thinking about doing a spikes lower also....can't wait to try it out.

Top Bottom