• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Hi folks!!! I am planning on buying my first AR rifle in a couple of weeks. After doing some research I have pretty much narrowed my decision down to Spikes or BCM. If I am correctly understanding what I have read so far it seems that they are pretty well even in quality. So is there something I am missing that would justify paying a lot more for the BCM ???

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Hi folks!!! I am planning on buying my first AR rifle in a couple of weeks. After doing some research I have pretty much narrowed my decision down to Spikes or BCM. If I am correctly understanding what I have read so far it seems that they are pretty well even in quality. So is there something I am missing that would justify paying a lot more for the BCM ???

I have heard nothing but good from both, they have almost the same specifications. Barrels are both 1-7, MP test and all of the Mil-Spec stuff. I have a BCM A3 Upper 16' Mid Length, and I love it, zero complaints, the finish is flawless. Shipping with quick. Only major difference between the two is that Spikes have a few cooling laser engraved spiders on it, if you into that. Both offer Mid Length Gas Rifles witch is growing in popularity as they are more reliable than Carbine Length and will last longer. As far as my opinion I will vote BCM just because I have one and know the quality of it. Having never seen a Spikes Rifle I have no opinion it other than I am not a fan of the spiders, but to each his own. I dont think you can go wrong with either the choice is yours. Just my :twocents:

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    In before esrice...but seriously, take a look at the review he did for the Spike's Tactical Carbine...https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew_spike_s_tactical_st-15_m4_le_carbine.html

You can get the midlength for just $10 more. I have nothing bad (or good for that matter, no personal experience) with BCM, but from what I hear they are a top-tier AR company. I do have a Spike's midlength and it has been perfect through a couple thousand rounds, also their customer service is top-notch. Either way, you can't go wrong with either option, and once you catch the EBR disease, you won't stop at just one ;)

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    BCM has an owner that stands 100% behind his product and is a hell of a nice guy. In addition, BCM has a proven record of reliability and customer service integrity. Not saying that Spike's doesn't deserve your money, but given the choices, I would go with BCM.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've had some experience with both and don't see any one major thing that would give one preference over the other.

BCM does have more versatile options listed directly on their website (uppers). But I also understand that Spike's will custom build as well, and are very helpful in that regard. I've heard good things about the ownership and customer service of both companies.

The good news is, if you are down to deciding between those two, you really can't go wrong.

If you are simply going with their standard rifle, then I'd just let price dictate my decision. Comparing apples to apples, it looks like the Spike's M4 is $799 and the BCM M4 Mod 1 is $1,135, for a difference of $336.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I've had some experience with both and don't see any one major thing that would give one preference over the other.

BCM does have more versatile options listed directly on their website (uppers). But I also understand that Spike's will custom build as well, and are very helpful in that regard. I've heard good things about the ownership and customer service of both companies.

The good news is, if you are down to deciding between those two, you really can't go wrong.

If you are simply going with their standard rifle, then I'd just let price dictate my decision. Comparing apples to apples, it looks like the Spike's M4 is $799 and the BCM M4 Mod 1 is $1,135, for a difference of $336.

That's a pretty big difference. If I were the OP, I'd call Paul (at BCM)and ask where the extra money is going. It may not be apples v. apples.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Ditto what abnk and esrice said. If you're just looking for a standard rifle Spike's will save you some money, but if not then BCM offers more options without having to custom order. I love my Spike's middy.

You won't regret buying from either one.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. Esrice's review of the Spikes is really what made me take a better look at it. It seems to be a great rifle for the price and before I purchased it rather than the BCM I wanted to be sure there was not some major difference. The $336 will buy quite a bit of ammo if price is the only real difference. I think that I will take the advice of abnk and contact BCM and ask what the extra cash buys me. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It may not be apples v. apples.

I know the BCM rifle comes with a Gunfighter charging handle, so that's a $45 value.

A little spec comparison:

Spike's Tactical: ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

BCM: BCM M4 Carbine AR15 Bravo Company

Here are the ONLY differences I found:

• BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Mod 4 Charging Handle BCM ONLY
    • Standard Carbine Length Gas System BOTH
    • M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension BOTH
    • M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver BOTH
    • T-Marked Upper Receivers BOTH
    • USGI 5.56mm NATO Chambers BOTH
    • Independently Certified Mil-Spec 11595E Barrel Steel BOTH
    • Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber BOTH
    • Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish on entire barrel BOTH
    • Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights BOTH
    • Taper Pinned Front Sight Base BOTH
    • USGI Government Profile Barrels BOTH
    • HPT (High Pressure Test, per Milspec) Barrels BOTH
    • MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected, per Milspec) Barrels BOTH
    • Bolt machined from Mil-Spec Carpenter No. 158® steel BOTH
    • HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof) BOTH
    • MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected) BOTH
    • Shot Peened Bolt BOTH
    • Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO) BOTH
    • Chrome Lined Gas Key BOTH
    • Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications BOTH
    • Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners Key BOTH
    • Staked Per Mil-Spec BOTH
    • Tool Steel Extractor BOTH
    • BCM® Extractor Spring BCM ONLY
    • Black Extractor Insert BOTH
    • Receivers Machined from Aluminum Forgings 7075-T6 BOTH
    • Receivers Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2 BOTH
    • BCM® Milspec 7075-T6 Receiver Extension BOTH
    • USGI Mold M4 Stock Staked M4 Lock Nut BOTH
    • USGI H Buffer (1 USGI Tungsten, 2 Steel) Spike's uses proprietary ST-T2 buffer
    • Magpul MOE Enhanced Trigger Guard BCM ONLY
    • Low Shelf for RDIAS installation BOTH
    • Low Shelf for Accuwedge use BOTH
    • Un-notched Hammer compatible with 9mm use BOTH
    • Fire Controls marked SAFE and SEMI Spike's uses pictogram with additional auto marking
    • Mil-Spec Forged A2 Carry handle with MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat anodized finish BOTH
    • 1 USGI Magazine Spike's includes a PMAG
    • Hard plastic carry case Spike's ONLY
    • Cable lock BCM ONLY
    • USGI Manual BCM ONLY

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    One more thing before you order (if you're not already aware) - Spikes regularly posts discount codes on uppers and full rifles over at ar15.com. Or you can do what I did - just email them and ask for the discount codes. They gladly sent me every one they had at the time.

Usually they're good for $50 or 10% off or something like that. Not a huge discount but it's easily enough to pay for shipping.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Going to get a spikes eventually. Every time I put together a custom build on their site it keeps getting more and more costly! Im up to $1300 for everything that I want and im sure by time I want to order it will be 1400-1500 worth.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    I will try to call BCM tomorrow and see what they tell me. I will post thier answer as soon as can. Thanks to Evil Elmo for the heads up on the coupon codes.That makes it even more appealing. Also thank you Esrice for doing more digging. I was surprised to see that the BCM rifle doesn't come with a case. Not that that is a deal breaker but it did kind of surprise me.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    These are the current coupon codes from Spikes

CURRENT COUPONS:
    ARFCOM - 5% off any order
    DISC4LE - 5% off any order
    FBFanclub - 5% off any order
    FACEBOOK - 25% off Hats & T-shirts
    M16BCG - Standard BCG for 110$
    M4LEUP - 50$ off M4 LE Upper
    MIDLEUP - 50$ off Mid LE Upper
    LERAILUP - 50$ off M4 LE Upper w/ 7" BAR Rail
    MIDLEUP9 - 50$ off Mid LE Upper w/ 9" BAR Rail

CURRENT SALE/PROMO:
    **No current sale/promo at this time**

Spike's Tactical Forums • View topic - ***Spike's Tactical Coupon Thread***

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    I tried to call BCM today at 2:20 pm and got a recording that pretty much told me that due to the volume of orders there was nobody available to take my call. It also stated that I could contact them through email. This may actually sway my decision toward the Spikes even more. I like the thought of being able to contact someone from customer service and speak to them should the need ever arise and not have to wait on an email reply. If business is that good they should be able to hire someone to handle the calls that come in. Heck I wouldn't even care if it was that "Peggy" guy from the Discover commercials LOL. Just put somebody on there!!!

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Another contact option is the "Industry" forum over on ar15.com. I don't know for sure if BCM visits regularly but the president of Spikes answers questions there all the time.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I would rather wait for Paul to answer my email than to talk to "Peggy" on the phone. Your email will be answered within 24hrs.

This week most of the industry is at the SHOT show.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Mvician the "Peggy" comment was my feeble attempt at humor. I am sure Paul is a great guy,runs a great company,and is really busy.I am self employed so I understand that running a company is very taxing on your time. At the same time even in my busy season working 16-18 hour days I always make myself available for customer calls. If for some reason I could not be available I would make sure that customers could always talk to another person that could help them. It's just good business and I would probably lose potential customers without doing so. I just feel much more comfortable speaking to a person when I call about an item that I have purchased or might purchase. Especially when that product is not something that I can just run to the local hardware store and replace a part on. Maybe I am just impatient but sometimes I don't want to wait 24 hours to get the answer I need. I wasn't saying anything bad about BCM or Paul. I just thought it would be better to speak to someone.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Not really Warmachine. I actually think that they are pretty much as good as each other. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something that would make the BCM cost so much more the Spikes. Oh and XD just for the record LOL!!!

Top Bottom