• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    A friend of mine gave me a Split-Pea Lighter last week. I had never heard of them before and thought I'd share my thoughts.

These things are really really cool. Great for every day carry. They are about the size of .45 acp bullet/cartridge. They work just like Zippo lighters, but the top unscrews and seals tight with a rubber o-ring. Reviews online say that they hold their fuel for up to a year without drying out.

They come in titanium, stainless and brass (mine is stainless) and include extra flints and an extra o-ring. The stainless model is $12 which is pretty reasonable. I bought a bunch of them to give out as stocking stuffers this Christmas. You can get them several different places on-line but here's where I found them the cheapest (with shipping). I'm not a smoker so the small one works great for me. They make a little bit larger sized one as well, but to me the size is what makes them great for EDC on my key-chain.

Survival Shop - Every Day Carry (EDC) items

lit.jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    You should fill one of these, put it aside for a couple months, and then see if it still burns. I have always wondered about these peanut lighters and their ability to hold fluid long term.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    OK that is very tiny. So Im wondering if you can take the cap and put it on the end of the lighter so that you have a little more lighter between your hand and the flame?

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    You should fill one of these, put it aside for a couple months, and then see if it still burns. I have always wondered about these peanut lighters and their ability to hold fluid long term.

Yeah I'm going to let one burn down fully to see how long the fuel lasts and then I'm going to fill one up and seal it to see how long it takes to dry out. The o-ring seats pretty snug so I bet it's pretty air tight.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    OK that is very tiny. So Im wondering if you can take the cap and put it on the end of the lighter so that you have a little more lighter between your hand and the flame?

They make on that's at least double the size (the Peanut) so that would solve your issue. It's not hard to hold though and hasn't been an issue. It's nice that the bottom is flat so you can set it on a flat surface if needed. Not bad for $12.

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    neat little device. I still carry a couple matchbooks most places, as they serve dual purpose as my business cards.

Vacuum-sealed in a bag would take care of this if in question, would it not? :dunno:

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    neat little device. I still carry a couple matchbooks most places, as they serve dual purpose as my business cards.

Vacuum-sealed in a bag would take care of this if in question, would it not? :dunno:

The website in the op has some small containers that hold fuel or the lighters as well. The reviews say they hold their fuel for a long time.

Top Bottom