• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    I have an old Remington 58 sportsman I inherited that a family member who loaned it out to a bird hunting buddy who not only shot birds but thousands of clays to, so much so that there is a grove wore in the butt from his ring over a 2 year period. The problem is that it double fired back in about 1974 and was retired. We took it to a smith and he said the part needed wasn't made anymore and it couldn't be repaired without it unless you can find one someone didn't need. Step father also contacted Remington and they said they didn't have the parts anymore either. Just called my step dad and he said the last smith he took it to said the whole receiver needs rebuilt. Any ideas as it would be nice to have it in nice serviceable condition. Bottom line don't loan your guns out! Have two more loan out stories that happened to me personally but that's for another time and forum. Thanks, Jerry.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IIRC here was a change in the receivers, one more prone to crack at bolt groove than other.
    There also was a shop that specialized in 58's, but last webcheck I couldn't find 'em.
    You can get new hammers/sears for the 58. Or even a whole trigger assembly (used).
    For the cost, I'd go hammer and sear and if that doesn't fix it............wall hanger.

I had a 20 ga and it was super light. Would have kept it too, as it was super clean and had killer wood...........but prev owner put a stud in buttstock.
    That just killed it for me.

Top Bottom