Sportsman's Warehouse - Backdoor Registration?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    At the Sportman's Warehouse in Lafayette, everytime I buy ammo (and even with buying a BB gun) they ask for my birthdate and type it in to their computer.

Is anyone else here concerned that this can be used against gun owners by a corrupt government or others? Any thoughts or opinions?

I bought some ammo at Walmart today, with no checking of ID nor asking of birthdate.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Its probably just a way for them to make sure you are of legal age, without the cashier having to do the math in his head.

If the government wanted to know if you own guns, there are MANY other ways, easier ways, to figure this out.

BTW, Welcome to INGO!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Its probably just a way for them to make sure you are of legal age, without the cashier having to do the math in his head.

If the government wanted to know if you own guns, there are MANY other ways, easier ways, to figure this out.

BTW, Welcome to INGO!

They traced the Virginia Tech gunners guns even though he had attempted to grind off the numbers. No registration except for the registration that is supposed to be thrown out in 10 years.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Much better than Aim Surplus and a few others that require a copy of your DL..

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    They traced the Virginia Tech gunners guns even though he had attempted to grind off the numbers. No registration except for the registration that is supposed to be thrown out in 10 years.

From what I have been told by a dealer:

Serials are traced to manufacture, manufacturer indicates who the firearm was sold to, if dealer transfers to another dealer that info is provided, if not
    dealer must maintain who he sold the firearm to.

Firearm does not have to be registered in order this to be done. Part of the system of checks and balances to make sure the are obtained legally.
    This is why if you EVER have a firearm stolen to report it immediately.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...Firearm does not have to be registered in order this to be done. Part of the system of checks and balances to make sure the are obtained legally.

Only one problem with that: "Checks and balances" are limitations upon our government, not upon us. They are constitutional "checks" or "stops" on and balances of power, not limitations upon Americans' rights. Obtaining guns legally should consist solely of them not being stolen, IMHO.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    From what I have been told by a dealer:

Serials are traced to manufacture, manufacturer indicates who the firearm was sold to, if dealer transfers to another dealer that info is provided, if not
    dealer must maintain who he sold the firearm to.

Firearm does not have to be registered in order this to be done. Part of the system of checks and balances to make sure the are obtained legally.
    This is why if you EVER have a firearm stolen to report it immediately.

The grinding of numbers does not remove traces of the imprints of the serial numbers. The metal is compressed from the imprinting process. This in a sense hardens the area of the imprinted numbers. All they have to do is apply a form of acid that will remove the soft layer of metal and expose the area that has been compressed from the imprinting. I learned about this in a class I took in school. I know there is better ways to explain this process but someone more informed in metalology could explain it better that I.

Wait a minute. Is metalology a word. If so I "might" of spelled it correctly.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My store (electronics retail) does this with games/movies. It doesn't matter if I can clearly tell that you're a 90-year-old buying a Rated "R" Movie, I still have to input your DOB so the computer can tell me if you're okay..

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    At the Sportman's Warehouse in Lafayette, everytime I buy ammo (and even with buying a BB gun) they ask for my birthdate and type it in to their computer.

Is anyone else here concerned that this can be used against gun owners by a corrupt government or others? Any thoughts or opinions?

I bought some ammo at Walmart today, with no checking of ID nor asking of birthdate.

When I worked for Sports Authority (Worcester, MA) when we rang up firearms or ammo the cash register would ask for a DOB. This was done solely so that the cash register could do the math and display a "NOT OVER 18 YEARS OLD" on the screen so that the cashiers could not complete the sale. The cashier could enter in whatever DOB they wanted valid entries wer from 01-01-1880 to present. This was done solely to ensure that the correct "math" on the DOB was done since most high school cashiers can't do that math or give out proper change. Nothing was ever stored and the receiept did not show the DOB.

Suspect it's the same in the scenario above.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    if you're that worried about it, just make up a date.

I have done that a few times when paying with cash. When paying with credit card, I give the actual birthdate.

I asked the girl at the register one time why they needed the birthdate, and she said basically to have a record that the purchase was made by someone of age.

It is still concerning though.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Only one problem with that: "Checks and balances" are limitations upon our government, not upon us. They are constitutional "checks" or "stops" on and balances of power, not limitations upon Americans' rights. Obtaining guns legally should consist solely of them not being stolen, IMHO.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill
    Need to spread the rep around before I give it to you again, but REPPED!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom