• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Just saw on the Journal & Couriers website that Sportsman's Warehouse is closing sometime between May 11 and May 24.

Here is a link to the article:

Sportsman's Warehouse closing at Pavilions | www.jconline.com | Journal and Courier

Even though there prices and stock levels weren't the greatest, it was somewhere to get guns & supplies....

The last time I was in there the staff was talking quite a bit about corporation making staffing cutbacks, but I'm surprised they would close this store, with it being the only one in Indiana.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I don't think they've got any new guns or ammo in stock for months, so i'm not that upset. It was mostly just a great place fondle a bunch of different guns to see what i liked. Hopefully this is a boost to the small shops.

Aw heck, this is just another reason to go to Cabella's.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Gotta tell ya, with their high prices and absolute non-availability of ammo and components, I'm not all that sad. It's 2 1/2 hrs to Cabella's. That's worth doing once a month.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think there was a thread on GT about Sportsman's not too long ago...

The consensus was that the parent company is going to try and pay it's creditors first and foremost... And that means not being able to keep open some storefronts.

While it may "suck" for those of us who are/were fans SW, the company shrinking itself to fulfill it's other obligations is indeed the right thing to do.

-J-

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK... so I went in tonight to see if they had a 10/22 I could get on sale. They had one left with a heavy barrel for $400+ and a Charger for $300. The rifle was already sold. Though the Charger was also more than I wanted to pay, I asked if the receiver in it could be placed in a rifle stock, and was told yes, it would fit, but it would be illegal to do so. I replied that I would certainly change out the barrel if I was to do that and the guy told me it would still be illegal, as the receiver was registered as a pistol.

Now, I know that once a pistol is made into a rifle, it cannot again be a pistol, however I was unaware that one could not do as I suggested above, and said as much. Curiosity: Who was correct? He, saying that it can't be done legally (presumably meaning, "not without a tax stamp") or me, saying that a pistol can be made into a rifle, but not vice versa?

Thanks for any help!

Blessings,
    Bill

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    Man this sucks. They had a decent firearms selection and it was one-stop shopping. I'd blow half my uniform allowance at Lafayette Guns and Gear and the other half here at sportsmans in years past.

I bought one gun from them, right after they opened, my HK USP .45 V1. I love it. It's my favorite semi-auto.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Though the Charger was also more than I wanted to pay, I asked if the receiver in it could be placed in a rifle stock, and was told yes, it would fit, but it would be illegal to do so. I replied that I would certainly change out the barrel if I was to do that and the guy told me it would still be illegal, as the receiver was registered as a pistol.

Now, I know that once a pistol is made into a rifle, it cannot again be a pistol, however I was unaware that one could not do as I suggested above, and said as much. Curiosity: Who was correct? He, saying that it can't be done legally (presumably meaning, "not without a tax stamp") or me, saying that a pistol can be made into a rifle, but not vice versa?

Thanks for any help!

Blessings,
    Bill

Pistol is a pistol, rifle is a rifle. Legally to go form one to another you must do the SBR.

As to SW closing, I was only in it once a few months ago and EVERYTHING was over priced, with most things terribly overpriced even when compared to cabelas and that's saying something!

I'll probably drop by next week coming back from Indy and the State House revolt (good excuse to hit Chik-fil-a too) to see if any of their clothing is on sale. I'm not going to expecting much, even at 25% off most things are still a rip-off.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom