• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Looking for recommendations,experiences &/or favorites on a spotting scope.I don't want to spend the equivalent of a new pistol,but I don't want a $20 piece of junk either. Just a decent scope for sighting rifles and light birdwatching. Appreciate your thoughts...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First decide what you are going to be shooting and distance. A 22lr at 50 meters or a 308 at 300 are different requirements and different scopes. Light birding to me means binoc's

Next angle or straight eyepiece.

Next bipod stand or other like a window mount.

Next look through stuff at a range that others have. Most shooter if you don't disturb them during the shooting would be more than happy to let you look or call the shots.

Next get money together. Lots of specials if you need a bino's or a scope and a spotter are often bundled. Basically you could spend from about $79.99 to $2,999,99 on a setup. The optical difference between $79.99 and $799,99 is dramitic and from 799.99 to 2,999.99 is minor

I picked up an old redfield angled with heavy bi-pod for cheap used at strawtown flea market. I like the older redfield scopes and this glass is very good for the age. Now I am sure that the coatings and such would have been better if new model. Main use is 22lr from 25 to 100 yards.

If you know what you will be getting or can read and understand the spec sheet's check out the sample/demo list here. Right now selection seems light.

SWFA Spotting Scopes

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    PM sent

But for everyone watching, when your looking at a budget spotter there are 2 options that completly outside everything else in their price range.

The Konus sportsview is roughly 200 bucks and the clear winner in its class as far as return on investment

The Vortex Nomad usually runs 299 (on sale ringht now for 229) but in the 300 dollar price range its the clear winner as far as return on investment

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I can say from experience you may want to steer clear of the bushnell Sentry spotting scope. It has very bad eye relief and a very soft image at full power. I'm looking at either the leupold or the nikon spotting scopes. Both seem reasonably priced and have decent image quality.

I've head good things about the Konus, but have no experience directly with them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I can say from experience you may want to steer clear of the bushnell Sentry spotting scope. It has very bad eye relief and a very soft image at full power. I'm looking at either the leupold or the nikon spotting scopes. Both seem reasonably priced and have decent image quality.

I've head good things about the Konus, but have no experience directly with them.

Konus is a Great option, Nikon is a ok option, Leupold has good glass, but thier 500 dollar scope is the same quality as most companies 300 dollar options

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I have a Brunton Eterna 20-60X80. Not exactly economy but in the Plains states there is no substitute for its clarity.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Bought a Barska Blackhawk 20x60 a few years ago and it does an OK job. Low end and runs about $100. Does what I need for out to 100yds on tripod. Use it for birds and deer invading my garden as well.

quake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    PM sent

But for everyone watching, when your looking at a budget spotter there are 2 options that completly outside everything else in their price range.

The Konus sportsview is roughly 200 bucks and the clear winner in its class as far as return on investment

The Vortex Nomad usually runs 299 (on sale ringht now for 229) but in the 300 dollar price range its the clear winner as far as return on investment

I agree. Check out the Vortex line. They are making some really good products for the money. :yesway:

Top Bottom