• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    What would be the best value for a spotting scope you would use for informal long range shooting? I am looking for a spotting scope to see targets at possibly 1000 yards and be able to see .308 bullet holes. I am trying to keep the cost down while still getting optics clarity. So what would be the minimum model you would go with?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Bullet holes at 1k? That will be tough to do.

Here is good info on a value brand Konus - KONUS Scopes

The best is probably Kowa, and to do what you want you're probably talking 82mm objectives and fixed power eye pieces.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    What is a realistic distance for seeing bullet holes on white paper? What about impact on steel? As you can tell I have never shot long range before.

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    man.....that is an awfully long way to see something a 1/4 inch wide....maybe go with a Celestron telescope?? Celestron makes a very long list of optice for everything for close to looking at craters on the moon...I am sure they would have something that would fit your needs and at a reasonable price.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hits on steel are relatively easy to see at 1K with magnification over 10X. To see .30 cal hits on paper at that distance would require magnification well above that. The problem with using magnification strong enough to see holes that far away comes from mirage.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    scope

man.....that is an awfully long way to see something a 1/4 inch wide....maybe go with a Celestron telescope?? Celestron makes a very long list of optice for everything for close to looking at craters on the moon...I am sure they would have something that would fit your needs and at a reasonable price.
    has anyone ever tried a telescope? often wondered if it would work as long range spotting scope

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Spotting scopes with reasonable magnification (25X or so) will allow you to see bullet holes in paper if the light is right and there is not a lot of mirage out to 300 yards. Telescopes and high magnification scopes will be stymied by mirage and environmental factors beyond 300 yards.

The Marine Gunny at Camp Perry using the big team scope that helps shooters get on target at 1000 yards is not looking at your bullet holes, he is watching your bullet trace. The bullet trace can be easily seen by a 25X scope, but Gunny has the expertise to tell you how to correct and get on paper in minimal time using that big destroyer scope.

Informal long range shooting will be an exercise in futility without someone on a spotting scope behind you and/or someone at the other end marking your shots.

What WILL it take to get you out for long range matches? We will help you get up to speed if you just show up.....

As far as good value on a spotting scope go to JarHeadTop.com

Or buy a Kowa at twice the price.

Regards

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I thought FW R&R only had a 200 yard range. I haven't been there in years and I know they have rearranged since then, though. I will check it out.

Edit: I see they now have a 300 yard range.

Last edited:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    They are very competitive. Some of us are serious about it. However, that doesn't stop us from having fun.

I wouldn't suggest a long range match for a beginner at prone or F class shooting. I do suggest it for experienced shooters.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Experienced shooters (those that have shot one or more matches and have learned all the secrets of the shooting universe and are therefore incapable of making a mistake) gather all the new shooters to a location and then proceed to make fun of their equipment, their shooting skills (or lack thereof), and if given half the chance, their family ancestry and sometimes even the color and model of the car they chose to drive to the range.

Seriously (please don't believe the previous) you are only truly competing against yourself. And also, since you are unclassified, you will be shooting in the Master Class. We may not even know that you are there, scorewise. Prove me wrong, that would be fun....I'll be the first one to slap you on the back and share your victory.

If you come on the range and tell anyone there that this is your first time, SOMEONE WILL take you under their wing and help you through.

I have never met anyone in highpower that would not bend over backwards to help out a new shooter.

It is not an exclusive club by any means.....

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Do these matches use benchrest or prone style shooting? How many rounds are put through a rifle in one of these matches? I probably will not attend any matches this summer and practice during the winter getting better, even if that means practicing dry firing. Next year I will definitely look into some of these matches. I appreciate all of the help I have been receiving. I will almost certainly be asking more questions.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Prone with a sling. Usually they are 3 - 20 shot matches for a total of 60 shots. Some have unlimited sighters before you go for record. Some are two sighters before you go for record. It depends. If you wait to shoot until you are "better", we will probably never see you on the range.

Jump in, you are welcome.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Lately, matches have been 15 shots for score at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. Unlimited sighters at each yard line.

F Class with front and rear rests or a bipod is also allowed.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Ft Wayne Rifle and Revolver is hosting the 300 yard prone slow fire mid range State Championship Match on September 26.

Details at Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Gun Club... Home

PM me if you are interested in competing. This is probably the ideal way to get your "feet wet" in precision, position, high power rifle shooting.

All are welcome, iron, scope, sling, F Class.

We should be done by 2PM.

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I shot highpower for years and enjoyed it.Still have all of my score sheets.
    When you start winning and not a part of the buddy system they will black
    ball you.If you want one of their medals pm me and i'll give you one.I know.

Top Bottom