• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    What makes the Loaded worth a hundred dollars more than a Garrison? I'm sure there are some up grades but I'm just not familiar enough with either to know. If I choose one or the other it will most likely be my only 1911. I've wanted one for years and finally decided to go for it. Merry Christmas !!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What makes the Loaded worth a hundred dollars more than a Garrison? I'm sure there are some up grades but I'm just not familiar enough with either to know. If I choose one or the other it will most likely be my only 1911. I've wanted one for years and finally decided to go for it. Merry Christmas !!
    Tom, I don't know all the differences other than front slide serrations and ambi safety, but if it was me, I'd choose the Garrison. Just looks better to me.

Tritium sights don't mean much to me.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have a Loaded. It's a good gun, but if the Garrison had been available when I bought mine, I'd have bought that one instead, just to avoid the ambi-safety, full length guide rod, and front slide serrations. I hate all of those things, and don't view any of them as an upgrade. I bought and fitted a single-sided safety, installed a GI guide rod, and knocked the sharp edges off the front serrations with a file, but they're still very sharp and chew up my holsters. IMO the Garrison is what the Loaded should have been in the first place.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back when I bought my springfield loaded I chose the loaded model and there wasn't a garrison model back then. I think of the springfield loaded as one of those gold standard 1911's that is generally accepted to be a quality gun. Personally, I like front serrations, and I 100% prefer night sights on any of my pistols. I do on occasion shoot at night, but I look at every gun I have as something that could be pressed into service in the worst case scenario and with that in mind I prefer night sights. I don't think you'd go wrong with either honestly. Springfield despite their political mishaps in Illinois make a good 1911. I've treated my loaded 1911 like a hard use pistol in training classes and other stuff. My has not been a range queen and it's stood up to everything. Either would likely serve you well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    To add to my earlier comment, I have owned two Loaded models and now I have a Range Officer. I like the RO the best of the three.

If I was buying today, it would most likely either be a Garrison or maybe a Ronin if they made one in 9 mm.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    To add to my earlier comment, I have owned two Loaded models and now I have a Range Officer. I like the RO the best of the three.

If I was buying today, it would most likely either be a Garrison or maybe a Ronin if they made one in 9 mm.
    Ronin is made in 9mm, 45acp, and 10mm. They have an EMP Ronin, 4 25" and 5". I have the Ronin 45acp. Looking for the 10mm but no joy.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I never owned a Springfield until I bought a Ronin from a member here.
    I now have 3 including a blued Garrison. No matter what you choose they make a great 1911. I was a Kimber guy but......
    I have a new favorite.
    I would get the Garrison. For the money its tough to beat
    Now If I could find the SA-35 ;)
    Agreed, I'm not a 1911 guy at all, but the Garrison looks nice, and for some odd reason I also want an SA-35.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I was looking hard at the Garrison but found a new Range Officer Target in black for the same price as a blued Garrison and decided to go with it. Have about 200 rnds through it and am really liking it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a Loaded. It's a good gun, but if the Garrison had been available when I bought mine, I'd have bought that one instead, just to avoid the ambi-safety, full length guide rod, and front slide serrations. I hate all of those things, and don't view any of them as an upgrade. I bought and fitted a single-sided safety, installed a GI guide rod, and knocked the sharp edges off the front serrations with a file, but they're still very sharp and chew up my holsters. IMO the Garrison is what the Loaded should have been in the first place.
    Having lost count of the upgraded/modified Springers/Rugers etc and the ground ups I never overlooked the 1 or 2 piece guide rods and can never understand the dislike of that ad on. And yes, it is an add on.

I suppose we can argue this all day long but in truth, we have tested the theory of it being an improvement.
    Ingo member brought some 1911's to the range. Some with plungers and some with full length guide rods.
    I did not check any of the (6..??) he set up and he handed them to me blind. To the gun I could tell if it had the full length in it. I know this will get Boo-Hoo'd but he is a witness and yes, the so equipped were just a skosh better.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was looking hard at the Garrison but found a new Range Officer Target in black for the same price as a blued Garrison and decided to go with it. Have about 200 rnds through it and am really liking it
    At around 500 rds the trigger will noticeably smooth out.
    I always upgraded the ignition control package in all my 1911's and the range officer was a solid platform for a few serious builds.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I love my loaded. Bought it new in ‘14. It’s seen maybe 600-800 rds. I agree with the mouse, trigger got smoother around the 4-500 rd mark. I never carry it because it’s too nice. I carry my 3” ATI because it’s not as nice and I do t care what shape it ends up in. Lol

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Having lost count of the upgraded/modified Springers/Rugers etc and the ground ups I never overlooked the 1 or 2 piece guide rods and can never understand the dislike of that ad on. And yes, it is an add on.

I suppose we can argue this all day long but in truth, we have tested the theory of it being an improvement.
    Ingo member brought some 1911's to the range. Some with plungers and some with full length guide rods.
    I did not check any of the (6..??) he set up and he handed them to me blind. To the gun I could tell if it had the full length in it. I know this will get Boo-Hoo'd but he is a witness and yes, the so equipped were just a skosh better.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Thanks for this reply, it reinforces my decision to leave my TRP bone stock. I had been wondering if I should swap out the two piece rod in it for a one piece to make take-down a little simpler. The two piece requires a hex wrench to remove, so I need one with me whenever shooting.

Not that much of an issue I know but just thinking in SHTF situation, the fewer tools needed the better.

I love my loaded. Bought it new in ‘14. It’s seen maybe 600-800 rds. I agree with the mouse, trigger got smoother around the 4-500 rd mark. I never carry it because it’s too nice. I carry my 3” ATI because it’s not as nice and I do t care what shape it ends up in. Lol
    I thought I'd carry the TRP, but yeah - too nice to carry. The 92FS is inexpensive and common so I don't care about the wear & tear from carrying it. Not to mention 9mm is a bit more affordable to shoot than .45acp & 10mm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for this reply, it reinforces my decision to leave my TRP bone stock. I had been wondering if I should swap out the two piece rod in it for a one piece to make take-down a little simpler. The two piece requires a hex wrench to remove, so I need one with me whenever shooting.

Not that much of an issue I know but just thinking in SHTF situation, the fewer tools needed the better.
    You can get the slide off the frame without removing the guide rod depending on your intentions or needs.
    I have always upgraded the ignition controls package. The difference is night and day at least to me.

Top Bottom