• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gibby101

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Liberty
    Hey guys just got a springfield 1911 gi, looking to change out the guid rod for full length guide rod, also change out the hammer, abs trigger? Is that a pain to do on the gi models or not bad ? received_3509574595820647.jpeg

gibby101

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Liberty
    Nice Mil-Spec, what kind of hammer were you wanting to change out to, and why?
    Wanting to put Wilson combat full length guide rod, there hammer and trigger. Guid rod for reliability and performance and the other stuff pretty much for looks but also performance

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Wanting to put Wilson combat full length guide rod, there hammer and trigger. Guid rod for reliability and performance and the other stuff pretty much for looks but also performance
    That type of 'commander' hammer won't work with a GI grip safety without some modification or replacing with a beavertail of some sort.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Does it have a full length guide rod now or the G.I. rod, spring and plug? Most guys switch out the full length for the original G.I. version. I myself, don't see the need for the full length rod.

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    I run a G.I. guide rod in all my 1911's. That includes a Custom Springfield and a Custom Competition Colt. Don't pay any attention to the stuff on the net. I've had issues in the past with full length guide rods but never with a G.I. setup. My Ithaca WWII 45 has had a few rounds through it and it still shoots great.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Just leave it as is and shoot the darn thing! EVERYBODY wants to change stuff that doesnt need changing. SHOOT IT!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Does it have a full length guide rod now or the G.I. rod, spring and plug? Most guys switch out the full length for the original G.I. version. I myself, don't see the need for the full length rod.
    Thats all a matter of personal preferences. I have proven multiple times there is a defined difference.

Will it run with the plug.....sure. Absolutely.

Will it run better with out it.....Yup. IMHO it does.

Do it or dont its your gun.

I had issue wit 1 FLGR in a piece I bought and it was a miss-matched POS from front to back.

But I fixed it. Its what we do...:):

Top Bottom