Springfield .45 accidental discharge... Really...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Ok, so this is why you always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Out at the range with my son in from michigan. Everything going dandy, then he pulls the trigger. No bang... Hang fire, perhaps right? So I take it back from him, wait the 30 -45 seconds while I am explaining why I am waiting.... Ok so times up, (remember the hammer is forward.....)
    so, go through the drill..... Slap, rack, and BANG!!!! What the heck?
    So clear the mag, rack the slide to make sure it's clear, and Humm... Hammer is still down... What?..
    pull hammer back, falls, back, falls,etc. Etc.
    this is a Springfield xt22/45... Maybe 6-9 months old with about 500 rounds through it....

Haven't disassembled yet, but I post mainly to the fact that the muzzle direction IS ALWAYS important, as this was a real accidental discharge as a result of a mechanical failure... Put the round into the ground about 20 ft in front of us.

Nobody was more surprised than I... How many hundreds/thousands of times to do a slap/rack and NEVER followed up with a very unexpected Ka-boom!!!
    any thoughts?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Need more careful explanation of the details. Did the "dud" round eject when you did the tap-rack? When you say, "...pull hammer back, falls, back, falls,etc. Etc...." what does that mean...is the hammer following the slide down some portion of the time, when you rack it with your finger off the trigger? Need to check this out carefully with a dry gun, because if the hammer is going forward without the trigger being pulled (for example, when you rack the slide), and a round goes like this, without the disconnector engaged and gripping the gun tightly with the grip safety depressed, it may burp out a few in a row and give you a real scare before coming to rest.

I'd repeat the actions many, many times with a dry gun, and take it to a gunsmith to check the trigger job if it does anything funny, before putting any more ammo in it.

(In before Kirk...)

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Returned to Blythe's today... sending back under warranty repair of course... Hammer never locks back even when manually cocked.. Yes I agree with the above, it could have very easily dumped the entire magazine in that condition.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My guess is worn disconnector. Could be a janky sear too.

I'd take it right to the gunsmith.

In before Kirk...)

Dude, my reputation for a shade tree gun mechanic is minimal.:D Remember, I BROKE a Bisley Blackhawk without firing it! Ruger had to replace the barrel.

I only own two gunsmithing tools, a hammer and a bigger hammer.:D

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Considering it was still under warranty, I was not going to even mess with it... But considering the serial number was below 2000, perhaps Rock Island needs to look into it further...
    That... and I am not as familiar with messing with 1911's... Heck that was part of the reason I bought the gun in the first place!

I don't think anything could be "worn" as the gun only had less than 500 rounds run through it... UNLESS, they have the wrong metal for the particular part that broke... Ill have to see what RIA has to say about it when it comes back... I have no idea how long repair work time runs with RIA...

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Unexpected mag dumps are always a pants browning moment. :):

Probably a broken or worn disconnector. Never seen a sear worn enough to do that, and I doubt you broke both sets of hooks on the hammer.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Considering it was still under warranty, I was not going to even mess with it... But considering the serial number was below 2000, perhaps Rock Island needs to look into it further...
    That... and I am not as familiar with messing with 1911's... Heck that was part of the reason I bought the gun in the first place!

I don't think anything could be "worn" as the gun only had less than 500 rounds run through it... UNLESS, they have the wrong metal for the particular part that broke... Ill have to see what RIA has to say about it when it comes back... I have no idea how long repair work time runs with RIA...

About four weeks

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I actually did have 1911-type clone do that, and dump a full mag downrange. No issue, other than a surprised look on my face and a loud "WTF?!?". :yesway:

Took it to a gunsmith, had the sear replaced. Solved the problem.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When you said the hammer follows the slide I visualize the sear hammer lock up failing. Lucky it did not go full auto on you.

The sear/hammer in these guns are not well made. They do work but they are soft. When you get it back look into spending a few dollars and having a decent hammer/sear set installed.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Returned to Blythe's today... sending back under warranty repair of course... Hammer never locks back even when manually cocked.. Yes I agree with the above, it could have very easily dumped the entire magazine in that condition.

They will get you fixed up, probably not that complicated of an issue, could be something as simple as the parts just installed incorrectly or the sear binding on the inside of the frame and not moving etc.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Every manufacturer puts out a bad one every now and again, don't start that drivel.

It's not drivel and once you own these problems you'll voice your displeasure as well.
    The RIAs have a lot going for them. Mostly price and the 1911 design.
    You do get what you pay for. Nothing that can't be cured with more money and better parts replacement.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    It's not drivel and once you own these problems you'll voice your displeasure as well.
    The RIAs have a lot going for them. Mostly price and the 1911 design.
    You do get what you pay for. Nothing that can't be cured with more money and better parts replacement.

I had to send a gun back to rock island already, I'm not voicing my displeasure. They have awesome customer service. Would I have rather not had to send in my gun? Yes but I realize that things happen, they took care of me and for the price I paid I'll gladly send it back to them on their dime for them to fix it. You won't find a single manufacturer that hasn't had something sent back. I'd much rather have a $300 pistol sent back because It slipped through quality control than a $1000 pistol. I'm no rock island fan boy but for the money they really are hard to beat.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    My money is on the sear but I don't know if RIA will give you an explanation of the repairs or not. In the end it doesn't really matter so long as your piece comes back in good working order. In any case, I'm just glad to hear that no one was hurt and you didn't have a run away!

Top Bottom