• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Ran across a Springfield M1A Loaded MA9827 at my LGS and thought it looked pretty nice.

For all you M1A experts, what model is the best to start with for the money given I want to put optics on it? I have a Trijicon TA55A that I am planning on throwing on it...

How far can you accurately shoot a 16" barreled version?

Thanks!

Mark

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The shorter barrels are getting good accuracy, but if you want to reach way out there then the standard barrels will be better. All depends on your money an how much you want out of your M1A.....after researching the m14 forum I decided for myself to stay away from the new Springfield rifles an look for a different maker an as much USGI parts as I could find, I got one for a great price that shoots perfect an glad I went that route...I recommend researching over at the M14 forum, lots of guys with hands on experience an a wealth of info to help guide you to your perfect rifle for you.

http://m14forum.com/

Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Well, hello Mark. :) Just to let you know, if you get this rifle, we're going to have to break it in properly....:popcorn: If I could afford an M1A, I'd definitely LOVE to have one in my collection. I say go for it....:laugh:

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Hey Kevin, glad to see you finally posting!

Not sure about this rifle now... doing research and SAI M1a's just are not what they used to be.

Started another thread asking what the best 308 for $2k is and have started to get some great input!

Mark

Hawk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Howes Cave, NY
    SAI rifles are a great start as they have a lifetime warrantee. It is my belief that for every bad thing said about them, there are probably 20 more good things that are not posted about them.

Although SAI rifles are not made with USGI parts anymore, reports are that in most cases, they are fine, and a great start for anyone interested in the platform.

My first M14 was a SAI and I've had several. I've had others also. I still have one M14 type rifle and it is a preban SAI. I wouldn't part with it.

myspringfield.jpg

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Welcome Hawk!

I still like the platform and will end up getting one some day...decided to go a different path for now, LMT MWS.

Mark

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    .....after researching the m14 forum I decided for myself to stay away from the new Springfield rifles an look for a different maker an as much USGI parts as I could find, I got one for a great price that shoots perfect an glad I went that route...

M14 Forum - M14 Forum for M14 M1A Rifles

I've been over there a few times lately trying to learn something about them and always find a lot of good info on what will be my next long gun.

What make/model did you end up buying?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Welcome Hawk!

I still like the platform and will end up getting one some day...decided to go a different path for now, LMT MWS.

Mark

It's a shame SAI gets a bad rap these days, whether it's deserved or not.

My M1A is my go to gun. But, as I've been told here, the fact that it's 10 years old makes a difference...

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    ive been told the 16inch is very loud but stll shoots well. i have a 22inch and am going to get the socom as a back up

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I've been over there a few times lately trying to learn something about them and always find a lot of good info on what will be my next long gun.

What make/model did you end up buying?

Federal Ordanance M14A, low s/n with HRA an WRA USGI parts from 1961.
    Also installed a "Hawks" dummy selector kit, Bassett scope mount an Nikon Pro Staff scope.

picture.php

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have a SAI Socom II and it shoots great. Who on here is telling you that SAI makes bad M1As? Do they have any personal experience with these guns? The trigger group in my Socom is a TRW.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I have a SAI Socom II and it shoots great. Who on here is telling you that SAI makes bad M1As? Do they have any personal experience with these guns? The trigger group in my Socom is a TRW.

Go back to the M14 forum link, go there an search, Horror stories that make you run to mommy about SAI. Thats why LRB an others are growing in the industry. Its not just one person, that got a bad one,.... its alot. No one is saying all SAI are bad, but they are getting a bad reputation that seems to be growing....you can judge.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Go back to the M14 forum link, go there an search, Horror stories that make you run to mommy about SAI. Thats why LRB an others are growing in the industry. Its not just one person, that got a bad one,.... its alot. No one is saying all SAI are bad, but they are getting a bad reputation that seems to be growing....you can judge.

Agreed, you dont hear enough about the rifles that function properly, mainly about the ones that dont run right.

All of my SAInc M1As have USGI components, except the Bush rifle (Scout minus the forward mount) and it runs great, loves all milsurp and my reloads too. It does have a USGI extractor.

Actually I believe that my Bush rifle w/ 18.5" barrel handles the best and is even more accurate out to 200 yds than the standard 22" rifles..... many others have agreed with this statement too.

Here are a few of my SAInc M1As:

M1AGroup-Copy.jpg

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    It's not all SAI's that are junk, my 2010 made rifle shoots great. All commercial parts, no surplus. I think the bad rep is because the rifles that run fine never get mentioned, you only hear about the problem ones.

match14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    South Central IN.
    With regards to quality and the number of complaints, I think it's worth noting that many more Springfield rifles are being made today than in the past.
    For example I have a rifle made in 1983 Serial no. 28, xxx
    From the m14tfl site, 1993 would be about Serial no. 65,xxx
    I have a rifle made in 2003 serial no. 152,xxx
    I believe Sringfield is past the 250,xxx serial number now.
    So from 1983 to 1993 they made say 40,000 rifles
    from 1993 to 2003 probably about 90,000
    and from 2003 to now, i estimate over 100,000.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    With regards to quality and the number of complaints, I think it's worth noting that many more Springfield rifles are being made today than in the past.
    For example I have a rifle made in 1983 Serial no. 28, xxx
    From the m14tfl site, 1993 would be about Serial no. 65,xxx
    I have a rifle made in 2003 serial no. 152,xxx
    I believe Sringfield is past the 250,xxx serial number now.
    So from 1983 to 1993 they made say 40,000 rifles
    from 1993 to 2003 probably about 90,000
    and from 2003 to now, i estimate over 100,000.

My Socom was made in 2005 with a serial # of 181,xxx if this helps any. I'm just curious to as how I got a TRW trigger group. Happy to say the least!

Hawk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Howes Cave, NY
    Around the time that you got your rifle, SAI was still putting some USGI parts on their rifles. Whatever they had on hand, until their stock ran out. It was a little later that they started putting 100% aftermarket parts on their rifles. A lot of the parts I believe they produce themselves or have them made for them.

Top Bottom