• Which one?

• Total voters

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Precisely and I totally agree with you. Even the link posted by SAI says 308 168GR is safe to use. Next, I am attacked for being ignorant.

Your ignorance is not about bullet weight. I told you that. I'll say it again, just for you. Just because 2 loads launch the same projectile at the same exact velocity, does not mean they do it with the same pressure, or more importantly, the same pressure curve. This is what you fail to understand. Pressure, along with the curve at which they peak, is very critical in gas piston actuated semi automatic rifles. The M1 Garand, and Springfield M1-A in particular. This is reloading 101. If you do not reload, I'll give you a pass. But if that's the case, you should not be trying to argue a point you do not understand. If your post proved anything, it proved that.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Next would be his post about medium burn rate powders, does anyone know what powder Winchester or Remington use? What burn rate it is?

Exactly my point. If you don't know, why would you want to fire it in your M1-A? Because you think, or else read somewhere that it's OK? If you wish to take a gamble with a rifle that costs well into 4 digits, I wish you luck. I've been reloading for close to 45 years. I've seen several bent op rods in both M1-A, and M1 Garand rifles. All of them were a direct result of shooting loads that had the wrong pressure curve. I probably should not have even mentioned bullet weight. Had I known you would become so focused on it, I wouldn't have. Bullet weight is not anywhere near as important as pressure, along with when and where it peaks. I can handload a 180 grain bullet in the .308 that is perfectly in line with what the M1-A requires. I can just as easily load a 150 grain bullet that will bend the op rod on the first shot. Both loads are well within SAAMI specs. Yet one is acceptable, and the other is detrimental to the rifle. This is what you're not understanding.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Exactly my point. If you don't know, why would you want to fire it in your M1-A? Because you think, or else read somewhere that it's OK? If you wish to take a gamble with a rifle that costs well into 4 digits, I wish you luck. I've been reloading for close to 45 years. I've seen several bent op rods in both M1-A, and M1 Garand rifles. All of them were a direct result of shooting loads that had the wrong pressure curve. I probably should not have even mentioned bullet weight. Had I known you would become so focused on it, I wouldn't have. Bullet weight is not anywhere near as important as pressure, along with when and where it peaks. I can handload a 180 grain bullet in the .308 that is perfectly in line with what the M1-A requires. I can just as easily load a 150 grain bullet that will bend the op rod on the first shot. Both loads are well within SAAMI specs. Yet one is acceptable, and the other is detrimental to the rifle. This is what you're not understanding.

No, you're missing the point billt, as per SAI , any .308 loaded to SAAMI specs is ok in their M1A. It's stated in their manual that comes with the rifle, it's stated on their web site, It was stated in the link you provided.
    Their only issue is with certain bullet types and I'm guessing its because of feed issues.
    Now I totally agree with you on the pressure curve and using certain burn rate powders in the M1 Garand. But, because this is a thread about M1A's that doesn't matter.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    That's the point I was trying to make to billt,
    First was his post about only using 150-165g bullets when the goto bullet is usually the 168g. not to mention the 173g match ammo for the M1A and Garand.
    Next would be his post about medium burn rate powders, does anyone know what powder Winchester or Remington use? What burn rate it is?
    Then there's the link he posted supposedly from SAI which states up to 180g, but he still wont admit it.

Now for the M1 Garand, I'll agree with the medium burn rate, but not his choice of bullet weight...173g match.

Winchester uses 748. IDK about remington.

All commercial loaded ammo that uses 150 to 168 grain bullets is safe in any military style or commercial type semi-auto rifle.

Why? Because the mid-range powders are ideal for the bullet weight and the ammo companies have to assume that their ammo will be used in a semi-auto.

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Your ignorance is not about bullet weight. I told you that. I'll say it again, just for you. Just because 2 loads launch the same projectile at the same exact velocity, does not mean they do it with the same pressure, or more importantly, the same pressure curve. This is what you fail to understand. Pressure, along with the curve at which they peak, is very critical in gas piston actuated semi automatic rifles. The M1 Garand, and Springfield M1-A in particular. This is reloading 101. If you do not reload, I'll give you a pass. But if that's the case, you should not be trying to argue a point you do not understand. If your post proved anything, it proved that.

Never once did I say anything about the pressure curve in any of my previous posts(since you enjoy doing that so much). I simply stated that 168GR Federal GM was okay. I've shot it and Springfield recommends it. Keep banging your head all day about it.:wallbash: I don't really care. Just because you have 45yrs of "so-called" reloading experience doesn't make anything you say gospel. That is all you keep bragging about is how much you know about reloading. Well good for you. I've been shooting 30+ years. Hooray for me I guess. You can call me ignorant all you want behind your little computer monitor, but it is clear 4-5 people disagree with you on shooting 308 out of the M1A. Have a good one chief and be safe! :ingo:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    No, you're missing the point billt, as per SAI , any .308 loaded to SAAMI specs is ok in their M1A.

Really? If it's "OK" to shoot any factory loaded SAAMI .308 load out of M1-A rifles, how about telling me where all these bent op rods are coming from? Are they just appearing out of nowhere? Why are op rods the largest selling replacement part for Springfield M1-A rifles? Furthermore, if you think this is all so meaningless and so much to do about nothing, please explain why all newer loading manuals list a separate loading section for the Springfield M1-A Service Rifle? If they....."can shoot any SAAMI load safely"......, which all loads listed in modern, published loading manuals are, why do they take the time, and invest the research under an entire heading of different loads?

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    ........it is clear 4-5 people disagree with you on shooting 308 out of the M1A.

That is supposed to mean something? So then the majority, (mob rule), has to be correct in their assessment? That's exactly what the voters said who gave you Obama.....Twice. Do you agree with them as well? I guess it's here that I must apologize for not following the Lemmings to the sea. :rolleyes:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The "medium" burn rate in RELOADING powder is largely accepted, but not universally so. I've been following the debate on that subject since 2008 and still haven't seen a conclusive argument either way yet.

168 grain match ammo is largely designed for M1A shooters since they make up the majority of those interested in shooting that particular loading.

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I voted m1a mainly due to me being in Vietnam. I was suppose to give it up for the matel rifle but being on river made it easy for me to keep.I put the matel in a bag and gave it back when I left country.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    OK, we want to help you spend money. Would you just go buy this thing already. :): Get it so you can start modding it. It's like having & modding an AR but more expensive.

I've got a black plastic SAI stock on mine. Hate it and want a nice wood stock but also want something to help reduce the group size. Can't afford a JAE nor want to wait for 36 months to get one. The Blackfeather stock looks awesome. The Troy looks nice but it's heavy + you loose the factory sights. I really like the VLtor but you need both the stock (a modified GI fiberglass) and the tri-rail. That pushes the price up pretty high. I'm going with an Archangel in FDE but it's been on backorder for friggin ever. Once I get that I'll mount up the Leatherwood scope mount and start shopping for glass. It never ends...

Top Bottom