• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Amazing how there are so many proponents of running not only this gun but other guns wet. Not only running them wet but often running some guns with some sort of grease on the rails.

Possibly some of us are used to engines that utilize "splash" oiling and have large sumps to hold copious amounts of lubricant to insure a constant flow of oil over the moving parts. I was guilty of running my guns wet for a long time. I have since reduced the amount of lube but I suspect I may still be a little heavy at times.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I tend to run most of guns on the wet side anyway. Not soaked or dripping, but certainly "lubed well". I also clean them often, and with the new DW Silverback, I am cleaning every 50 rounds, re-lubing, and taking her back out the next day. I now I have 250 rounds through her, so about half-way to the break in spot. I will be less liberal with the lube at that point for sure, and will clean after a good day at the range rather than based on round count.

I can say that even though I am running wet, the gun is pretty clean when I take her apart, other than the normal carbon/gunpowder soot. The frame rails seem pretty clean, which is a good thing.

What I do for the slide and frame rails is to use a very small paint brush, and dab a couple of drops of oil from a needle oiling nozzle on the slide rail groove, and then lightly brush it back and forth. So wet, but not soaking. I will look into reducing the oil just a bit for the next couple of range sessions.

I do have to say, I am at 250 rounds without a single failure of any kind. None. Zero.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Amazing how there are so many proponents of running not only this gun but other guns wet. Not only running them wet but often running some guns with some sort of grease on the rails.

I run a moly based engine assembly lube on the rails of all my 1911's. In the colder weather I mix it down with Hoppes #9 as the slide/cycling will slow down just a bit in the really cold.
    The stainless ones love the stuff.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom