Springfield XDM 9 3.8 compact or a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ButtSecks

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    North Vernon
    I have a Colt LE6920 in layaway and owe $550 on it. I've paid right around $750 so far. I was planning on getting it out next weekend, but my 1 year old needs his teeth fixed because they had a defect when they grew in. The procedure sounds pretty brutal for a 1 year old to not get any anesthesia. So now I'm going to have to pay $6500 for the anesthesia since my insurance won't cover it. Plus the cost of the operation. So now I can't get it out. I'd rather hold the money back to keep my little buddy out of pain than to feed my new addiction. Since I can't get the money back I paid into it and get store credit, which carry gun would you guys recommend? It doesn't have to be a Glock or a Springfield. But those are the main ones I've been looking at. I already have a Star Firestar M-40, but it's pretty heavy. I'm looking for round count, dependability and as many accessories I can get with the gun at $750.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    My vote goes for the Glock, but that's what I know and am comfortable with. But either way you go you will be happy.

You probably want it chambered in 9mm for the round count. Which would leave you with a Glock 17. 17 rounds +1 in the chamber. If your planning on carrying though then the G19 might be a better choice 15 rounds +1 in the chamber.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I'd go with a Glock and, get a good holster. But, that is just me.

Be sure to look at the S&W M&Ps too.

ButtSecks

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    North Vernon
    I'm leaning more toward Glock anyway. What keeps me from wanting the Springfield is everyone says they're junk. I've only shot one but that wasn't enough time for me to determine whether it's junk or not. I definitely like the way it looks over the Glock.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My XDm has 2,000+ rounds through it. Springfields are not junk. Not a single problem. All models of guns have some problems. There have been bad Glock's and great HiPoints. Shoot as many as you can and pick whichever you shoot best. You can't go wrong with either.

Wellcome to INGO. Don't be offended if they ask you to change your screen name. This is a family friendly forum.

ButtSecks

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    North Vernon
    This is actually an account I created for a friend because he was getting mouthy with other members on my account. A moderator is going to change the name asap. The more I watch videos about the Springfield and the Glock 19, the more I'm torn. I guess I'm just going to go to the shop later on today when I wake up and grab both and make a quick decision.

Conner85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Princeton
    I am in the Glock camp so I would go Glock, but Springfields are NOT junk.

Prayers sent for your 1 year old and the dental procedure.

I'll consider your recommendation on the Glock. And thank you for the prayers. Most parents look at this as a normal thing. But I couldn't ever imagine my son strapped down, awake and getting his teeth cut out. The dentist's assistant said he wouldn't remember it later on in life because he's so young. I almost flipped but I kept my cool. Cool Smiles has lawsuits pending against them because of this reason. The kids scream for help because the dentist starts in before the novacaine takes effect. He's going to a different dentist, but they still don't have the right anesthetic he can have because he's so young. So we have to go through Surgicare, which is why it costs $6500.

By the way, I'm the one who created the original post. Forgot to sign out of my friend's account.

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have an XDm 3.8 compact in .40 S&W and it has performed flawlessly for over 1500 rounds, I carry it concealed as well. Springfield and Glock are on the same level quality wise. For me the XDm just felt better in my hand.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I have an XDm 3.8 compact in .40 S&W and it has performed flawlessly for over 1500 rounds, I carry it concealed as well. Springfield and Glock are on the same level quality wise. For me the XDm just felt better in my hand.

I've got the same gun. Mine doesn't have as many rounds as you have through yours, and I kind of wish I'd gotten the bi-tone, but mine has been absolutely perfect. I also had a G4 G23. It ran perfectly as well, but between the two, I kept the Springer.

remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    I would say Glock 23. I'm in the market for one myself, as I am in love with my dads. His is chambered for .40. Its very accurate, very reliable. He has put over 1,000 rounds through his and has never had a jam or misfire. It has a 13+1 mag count, and is still small enough to conceal pretty easily.

Conner85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Princeton
    I went with the XDM. The store owner said it shoots way smoother than a Glock but you can torture a Glock way more than a Springfield. I'm not gonna be playing in the mud anytime soon, so the Springfield it is. Thanks for the replies everyone. It's off to the range this weekend to test it out.

Edit: it came with 2 mags. 13 and 19 rounders. The 13 will be in it while it's holstered and the 19 will be for when I need it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I went with the XDM. The store owner said it shoots way smoother than a Glock but you can torture a Glock way more than a Springfield. I'm not gonna be playing in the mud anytime soon, so the Springfield it is. Thanks for the replies everyone. It's off to the range this weekend to test it out.

Edit: it came with 2 mags. 13 and 19 rounders. The 13 will be in it while it's holstered and the 19 will be for when I need it.

I guess I am a little late to add anything to the foray, but sounds like you went the direction I would have anyway. I had a G26, carried it for almost a year. Just couldnt bring myself to love the gun. Tried a few other Glocks, mid and full sized, still nothing. My brother had an Xd in 45 for a bit, and for a Poly gun, it wasnt bad. My wife actually fell in love with the XDs 45, and we have one taking residence up in our safe at this moment. The only other option I would have looked at is the M&P. For me, they seem to have the best ergonomics of the poly pistols.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I'll consider your recommendation on the Glock. And thank you for the prayers. Most parents look at this as a normal thing. But I couldn't ever imagine my son strapped down, awake and getting his teeth cut out. The dentist's assistant said he wouldn't remember it later on in life because he's so young. I almost flipped but I kept my cool. Cool Smiles has lawsuits pending against them because of this reason. The kids scream for help because the dentist starts in before the novacaine takes effect. He's going to a different dentist, but they still don't have the right anesthetic he can have because he's so young. So we have to go through Surgicare, which is why it costs $6500.

By the way, I'm the one who created the original post. Forgot to sign out of my friend's account.

Thought I recognized this kind of talk from another thread...>>:popcorn:I almost flipped but I kept my cool.

>>Since my girlfriend is pregnant, I would have handled the situation the same as his friend did. Regardless of the law, anyone shoving a pregnant girl out of the way for any reason needs to be dead. I wouldn't have needed a gun. I would have beat him to death. That's just the protective father/boyfriend instincts I have. And if any of the guy's friends wanted to join in, that's when the .40 would come out. "Responsible citizen" or not, anyone laying a hand on anyone I love can and will turn me into a citizen that just doesn't care how the law restricts certain actions to protect my family.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Thought I recognized this kind of talk from another thread...>>:popcorn:I almost flipped but I kept my cool.

>>Since my girlfriend is pregnant, I would have handled the situation the same as his friend did. Regardless of the law, anyone shoving a pregnant girl out of the way for any reason needs to be dead. I wouldn't have needed a gun. I would have beat him to death. That's just the protective father/boyfriend instincts I have. And if any of the guy's friends wanted to join in, that's when the .40 would come out. "Responsible citizen" or not, anyone laying a hand on anyone I love can and will turn me into a citizen that just doesn't care how the law restricts certain actions to protect my family.

I was wondering why he even needed a gun since the tough streets of Evansville taught him to beat people to death with his bare hands. :lmfao:

Top Bottom