• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    While doing a video of a magazine function test for an INGO (yeah, the mod failed!), I accidentally caught a squib round on video. Never to miss such an opportunity, I put what I had into this video for Appleseed instructors, but think others might find it interesting as well:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrHuQoeJm4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrHuQoeJm4[/ame]

Hope it is helpful to anyone who has not seen a squib happen in person. Everyone needs to keep an eye out for squibs and we have been seeing more and more of these out on the trail, so it is something we are on the lookout for as instructors. So long as we catch them early, they are no problem. Catch them late and you have a problem...

Techres

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Pretty amazing that you got it on video. I had my first squib a few weeks ago shooting my first batch of reloads, and I will definitely vouch for every one of those telltale signs. Thanks for putting that together.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As uncommon as they are, it is amazing that you caught it on video. The only time I have ever seen a squib was when I was in MCT, adn we were doing familiarization with the MK19. It was just a little bit harrier than the average squib in a .22, but the signs were all the same (except the failure to detonate on impact, we were using HE rounds). Way to transition from one lesson to another without missing a beat.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The casing fired in this situation, I think, only because it was rimfire. So, yeah, I am glad it was not a .357/44 mag.

For that matter, I am glad it was not .17hmr.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    u were using factory ammo or reloads?
    What was the brand of the .22lr if factory which I will assume since have not heard of anyone reloading .22lr. (Yes its possible but just not cost-wise smart)

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    u were using factory ammo or reloads?
    What was the brand of the .22lr if factory which I will assume since have not heard of anyone reloading .22lr. (Yes its possible but just not cost-wise smart)

I reload my Marlin and Ruger everytime they're empty unless I'm done for the day. It doesn't cost me a thing.

(I think you are talking about handloading ... reloading is what you do when the rifle/gun is empty after firing.) :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I reload my Marlin and Ruger everytime they're empty unless I'm done for the day. It doesn't cost me a thing.

(I think you are talking about handloading ... reloading is what you do when the rifle/gun is empty after firing.) :D

:faint: MODs WD is stalking me again and I already told him we are not going to do the MEET & SHOOT at JP. :D

reloading, handloading, tomatoe, toematoe, I'm sure the OP knows what I'm saying.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I will admit that the term reloading is used often, even by those that do it. ... I knew what you meant. I couldn't resist.

Now ... I gotta climb down from your trellis and go home. You haven't done anything interesting all night but sit in front of that computer. :D

Top Bottom