• ...and so much more!
  • t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    A post in another thread got me thinking I should be ready, tools wise, and able to clear a squib if it rears it's ugly head.

1. Is a length of wooden dowel and a small hammer adequate? I've got room in the range bag to keep them there....

2. What direction that you want to drive the bullet out? Wheel guns are obvious but what about semi autos?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Barrels tend to be smaller away from the breech. The few I've had to clear I always went away from the muzzle. I used a piece of delrin and a hammer. They weren't in very far so they weren't super hard to get out. Still made my butt pucker a bit.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Small block chevy pushrod covered in electrical tap, ...insert the pushrod into the muzzle and use the barrel as a slide hammer against the bench to push the bullet out of the breech.. ..make sure the bench is wood or hammer against somthing softer than the barrel so you don't ding the crown when the bullet gives way.

God bless
    - Shred

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Small block chevy pushrod covered in electrical tap, ...insert the pushrod into the muzzle and use the barrel as a slide hammer against the bench to push the bullet out of the breech.. ..make sure the bench is wood or hammer against somthing softer than the barrel so you don't ding the crown when the bullet gives way.

God bless
    - Shred
    . The pushrod with tape is a great idea! I'll second that idea.

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    I heard, I think on the gun dudes podcast, that you always want to keep pushing it forward towards the muzzle. The reason was something along the lines of the jacket is being sheared / deformed towards the back of the projectile. If you push back towards breech you're fighting any metal that has deformed possibly bunching it up and getting it stuck worse. I hope this makes some sense, it did to me when I heard it. I generally like to run everything (brushes etc) towards the muzzle, it just seems right.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Several of my 45 acp reloads were squibs and a brass rod and hammer cleared most. There was one time Ballstater used his Glock slide and my M16 cleaning rod to unlodge one at Winamac. I pin pointed the problem to leaving the powder in the measure over the winter and moisture causing the bullseye to clump giving inconsistent measures.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I heard, I think on the gun dudes podcast, that you always want to keep pushing it forward towards the muzzle. The reason was something along the lines of the jacket is being sheared / deformed towards the back of the projectile. If you push back towards breech you're fighting any metal that has deformed possibly bunching it up and getting it stuck worse. I hope this makes some sense, it did to me when I heard it. I generally like to run everything (brushes etc) towards the muzzle, it just seems right.

Unless the bullet that's lodged in the barrel is a soft lead slug, I'm pretty sure that would be far tougher than just pushing it back toward the chamber, unless (of course) the bullet is more than halfway down the barrel.
    You should know that jacketed bullets especially are extremely tough to force down the length of a barrel.

Top Bottom