• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Anybody ever do a backpacking/squirrel hunting trip at Deam? I'm thinking about going out for a weekend and going after some reds. If you have been, where did you camp?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe I'm ignorant. If you are backpacking all weekend, how will you keep the meat cool and safe after they are collected?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cool! That makes sense now. I was thinking of it in the traditional hunting/fishing trip where you bag your limit and freeze.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I’ve done both, just not at the same time, LOL. went for squirrels in November, it was a little late for them as they had started holing up. Did the Sycamore/Terrill Ridge trail loop, Sycamore is pretty quiet with some camping spots.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I’ve done both, just not at the same time, LOL. went for squirrels in November, it was a little late for them as they had started holing up. Did the Sycamore/Terrill Ridge trail loop, Sycamore is pretty quiet with some camping spots.

Do they have any rules around how far away one needs to be from the main trails or camping areas?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I did both with the oldest about 10 years ago. We didn’t see any squirrels until driving out, but did have frog legs, sassafras tea and roasted chestnuts (we ate a few and planted the rest). This was in September, and we got the worst case of chiggers ever. Two night backpacking trip.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Do they have any rules around how far away one needs to be from the main trails or camping areas?
    I wouldn't think you'd have any problems in the eastern section. There's a lot of good places to camp far enough off the trail, you don't have to even see people if you stay off the trails. Just look at the topo map and you'll see the flat spots that are worth a look for camping.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Anybody ever do a backpacking/squirrel hunting trip at Deam? I'm thinking about going out for a weekend and going after some reds. If you have been, where did you camp?
    Hell yeah. Done several variations, hunting and then camping, or camping over to hunt in the morning. Even roasted the little bastards on a campfire.

Camp wherever you want. The HNF outside the Deam is fair game, too. Personally I preferred yellowwood for the actual hunting, the trees were lower and I just generally seemed to get more opportunities than the massive old growth in the Deam. Early season even a choked shotgun is struggling to get all the way up there.

Top Bottom