• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Cut 2-3 squirrels into serving pieces. Add salt and pepper to each piece covering both sides.

Heat a cast iron skillet (or whatever you're using, I like cast iron) to medium-high temperature. Add 1 tbsp of butter then add a tbsp of grape seed oil or coconut oil for a healthier alternative to veggie/canola/peanut oil.

Drench each piece in flour shaking off the excess. Set aside until the skillet is good and hot.

Once the butter starts to turn a little brown, toss on your squirrel. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes, turning it after roughly 90 seconds.

Remove squirrels to platter and turn down heat to medium-low leaving all the brown bits in the skillet.

Crack an egg into a bowl and add at least 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Whisk really well.

Add 1/2 cup of white cooking wine to the skillet. Let it reduce by half approximately 3 minutes.

Once reduced, add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and lemon egg wash. Stir constantly until your sauce starts to thicken. Usually about 45 seconds to 1 min.

Reduce heat to low and add squirrel back into skillet. Add 1/4 cup of fresh chopped parsley. Let it simmer for a good 5 minutes.

Plate the squirrel and pour sauce over the top. Serve with mashed potatoes (or boiled red potatoes) and green beans. A little sauce goes a long way on top of the potatoes. Remember, it's a sauce, not gravy.

If you want to debone the squirrel, this recipe works great on top of angel hair pasta. I would add 1/4 cup more chicken broth and 1/8 cup more lemon juice.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    At the camp site, throw some salt and pepper on your squirrel. Add butter if you have it. Put squirrel in aluminum foil and wrap it up. Cook it over hot coals for a good 30-45 minutes until meat is coming off the bones. Cook up some ramen noodles, throw meat into pot and add 1 egg but don't mix it up. Try to keep the yolk from breaking and running. Add in your flavoring and a healthy amount of pepper.

Its not fancy but its good at deer camp.

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    Ok....sit tight....Take 4 squirrels, boil in salt water till the meat falls off of the bones, de-bone and set meat aside for a minute. In a pot, put 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 green pepper, 1 aneheim pepper, 1 pablano pepper, and 4 garlic cloves (or a tablespoon of powder) and sautee for about 2-3 minutes. Then add the tree rat meat, 48 oz (6 cups) of chicken broth, 1.5 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, Cover, and cook for 30-45 minutes and then add 4 roma tomatoes (or 1-2 large tomatoes)1/2 cup of chopped cilantro, an 8 oz can of chopped green chillies, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp cumin and cook for another 30 min.

Take a bowl, crush up some tortilla chips, cover with the soup and put shreaded cheese over it and eat.

Its not as much trouble as it sounds and it is great! It can also be made with 1.5-2 lbs of chicken breast meat.

LUVn40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I’ve prepared squirrel numerous ways over the years and some of the recipes I’ve seen here I’ll just HAVE TO try but this is by far my favorite that I’ve come up with. Place desired number of squirrels, cut into pieces, into a crock-pot. Cover with ham broth. I buy the has flavoring in a jar at Rural King and prepare with water as directed on container. Cook for about 4 hours on high until the meat is just tender but not falling off the bone. It might take a little longer if especially big old squirrels. When sufficiently tender, remove the pieces from the crock-pot, drain, place into shallow dish and pour Italian dressing (any brand) over pieces to marinate. I prefer letting them marinate over night in the fridge but even a couple of hours is long enough. Then fire up your grill and toss them on. I cook them only long enough to heat through and they are delicious. Good luck! You certainly have some great ideas to go with.

Top Bottom