Squirrel season is soon upon us... anyone float for them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Friday afternoon I'll be picking up a new (to me) boat. It's one of the 4'x8' plastic bass boats with two seats. I've always heard floating down the river for squirrels is a good time and i think this boat would be good to try it. However, im not real sure of the laws for doing so. Since the seats sit higher off the water than a canoe of John boat, a paddle can't really be used. The boat already has a trolling motor on it, but I don't know if I can use it. I've searched everywhere but can't really find a definitive answer.

Any of you ever hunt squirrels from a boat or familiar with the laws?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I know guys in Perry county who make a regular trip on the Anderson river doing just that. Boat can't have a motor on it.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    If I recall correctly, the boat cannot be under motorized power when attempting to take game from a boat. This has been a gray area to me, I was always told it was illigal to shoot across a body of water and I have a hard time understanding why it would then be legal to shoot across a partial body of water just because you're in a boat.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Shooting from a boat at squirrel is legal, but the boat must NOT be under power while hunting.
    I'm pretty sure you can have the motor on the boat, but I would not have the motor running and a gun in my hand at the same time.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Ok, I confirmed with a Conservation Officer about this and he told me you can have the motor, and you can use the motor, but when shooting, you must either be stopped or moving with the natural current.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I use to do it in Indiana. Besides only being underway from current or paddle it's a good idea to stay close to the side you want to hunt. Safety is critical as there can be kids or fisherman in the brush. I use to use a .410 with size 6 Birdshot and a Ruger MKII with a scope. Think of it as a slow stalk. With your rig I suggest you try a drag anchor. A quick one is a couple feet of heavy chain on a rope. Easy to lift, easy to drop. I still have and use mine, a stainless disk with a chain, just mostly for fishing. Also to hold my kayak in the stream as I wade. I have a spot or two picked out for deer from the kayak as well.

Good idea to travel light, use compact guns, never be in a rush, safety x2.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What if you are just floating on your back in a tube?

Isn't that why they make those "marine" shotguns, anyway? :):

-Nate

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was always under the impression one could take squirrels from a non motorized boat, but the rules listed below don't make that clear, actually the opposite.

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/15INHD_LR.pdf

Hunting from aVehicle or Boat
    Mammals and birds may not be taken or
    chased from, by the use of, or with the aid
    of any motor-driven conveyance (including
    boats), except:
    • By an individual authorized to hunt from a
    stationary vehicle with a Persons with Disabilities
    Hunting Permit.
    • To check traps that are lawfully set and
    maintained.
    • To hunt waterfowl from a motorboat if the
    boat is beached, resting at anchor, tied to
    a stationary object, or otherwise without
    motion, except as provided by wind, water
    current or hand-operated oars or paddles.
    It is illegal to hunt furbearers from any boat.
    It is illegal to ride an off-road vehicle with a
    loaded firearm (unless it’s a handgun and on
    private property in accordance with Indiana
    Code 14-16-1-23)

I'd like to see some documentation that squirrel hunting from a paddle boat is still legit.
    Most of the old CO's in my area have retired. Rookie CO's, trying to make a name for themselves, abound down here.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    So do you have to get permission from all the land owners along the river to hunt or how does that work? I am really interested in trying this in my canoe this year.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Good point, Mark.

I think you WOULD, unless the squirrels all fell into the water. If you didn't, then you can't exit the navigable waters to recover the squirrel you killed, and that's wanton waste, which is most certainly illegal.

The bigger issue I see is that you, as the individual firing a weapon, are solely legally responsible for the entire trajectory of the round(s) fired. If you are on a public waterway travelling through private land, and you don't have permission to be on that private land, then how can you possibly defend having sent a round ONTO that private land?

-Nate

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In general, and I live in Wisconsin now so I am not current on Indiana, but the legal limit on waterways is typically the high water mark. You can float or when the water is down walk between the high water marks. You can't go on or shoot on to private land. I had access to family land on a river, lake and strip pit. Also friends land and farms along a river.

No motor power means motor cut off and boat fully stopped first. If you cut the motor but shoot while the boat is still moving IE coming off plane, you are still under power from the motor.

Is a squirrel a fur bearer or small game?

Duck hunting always has more rules to be aware of and understand. Make sure you have your ducks in a row before you even start. (Pretty good pun huh?!)

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    +1 on everything everyone else has said about being under power. I do have a couple things to add. I have done this a few times from a belly boat with the 410 and with a 22 pistol floating the Wildcat Creek and have few pointers. #1 leave the pistol at home with the current and movement of the boat it makes 22 TOUGH to hit your mark. #2 DON'T shoot them if they are on a branch over water!!!....When a Squirrel hits the water...THEY SINK LIKE ROCKS!!!

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    +1 on everything everyone else has said about being under power. I do have a couple things to add. I have done this a few times from a belly boat with the 410 and with a 22 pistol floating the Wildcat Creek and have few pointers. #1 leave the pistol at home with the current and movement of the boat it makes 22 TOUGH to hit your mark. #2 DON'T shoot them if they are on a branch over water!!!....When a Squirrel hits the water...THEY SINK LIKE ROCKS!!!

I'm not saying all squirrels float, but at least 50% of them have floated in the several years I have hunted near water. My only weapon of choice is a 22 LR as it makes it a little more challenging instead of just blowing them to pieces. Anyone, and I do mean anyone, can go out with a shotgun and blow a squirrel full of pellets. Nothing is more satisfying than stalking a tree full of squirrels from land or water, and trying to get the best shot possible. In my opinion it's the thrill of the hunt and being a marksman, that I enjoy so much .

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I'm not saying all squirrels float, but at least 50% of them have floated in the several years I have hunted near water. My only weapon of choice is a 22 LR as it makes it a little more challenging instead of just blowing them to pieces. Anyone, and I do mean anyone, can go out with a shotgun and blow a squirrel full of pellets. Nothing is more satisfying than stalking a tree full of squirrels from land or water, and trying to get the best shot possible. In my opinion it's the thrill of the hunt and being a marksman, that I enjoy so much .

I agree that the 22 is a good way to go if you have a good size boat....but a belly boat is anything but stablestable from what I have seen of them.....so I can see Bobjones223 point of it depends on what you are hunting out,

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I would try a 10ft jon boat , Im sure there will be places you will have to carry the boat for a bit do to shallow water or downed trees... A plastic boat would be a pain in the ass to have to carry very far... I have one and wouldn't want to have to carry it very far... Food for thought.

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Several years ago we used to do this a lot. We hunted from a bass boat on lake Monroe. Most of the surrounding property is owned by the Corp of Engineers and is legal to hunt on. Great times!

Floating down a river would seem problematic due to the private property issues.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have thought about this also while out fishing. I sold my plastic two man and upgraded to a big jon this year.

I like the idea of a shot gun as to not be sending pills onto someone's property.

Bring a rod and reel too! Cast and Blast!

Top Bottom