Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Hopefully pics below, first time with this photobucket stuff:

SR1911PicIII.jpg

SR1911PicII.jpg

You can see the scratch, and @ end of scratch is "pushed up steel", LGS gunsmith figured a metal shaving was still in firearm, and cause damage when they test fired or cycled action.

If I'd have put an idiot mark or other scratch/damage, no biggie it happens, but NIB, never fired, not cool.
    I simply cannot imagine having a customer base THIS anal. That's not going to affect operation and you can't see it unless you take the gun apart. I know you paid alot and you would like perfection but this seems over the top to me.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I simply cannot imagine having a customer base THIS anal. That's not going to affect operation and you can't see it unless you take the gun apart. I know you paid alot and you would like perfection but this seems over the top to me.

Lessons Learned:
    1) Definition of being anal is def. up for interpretation.
    2) Expecting no defects on a brand new product? Buy from HK, Sig, or Springfield (at least in my experience). This purchase is roughly my 15th or so handgun purchase, first defect (cosmetic) I've encountered, guess that's why it chapped my britches.
    3) Accepting defects as Ok, we'll just sell to someone else is why the Japanese & South Koreans are taking over the Auto Industry in the U.S. I've worked in Quality Engineering for both U.S. based & Japan based auto manufacturers, so mostly I deal with "nitpicky stuff" every day, I still work to fix it, they can always buy elsewhere, but I prefer they buy our product = bonus & pay increases for all of the employees.

I love America, I'm free to take my business elsewhere, if I'm not happy with manufacturer X.

I'll return my "anal" consumerism back to those that produce perfection!

INGO is a great place, always amazed how different we all are.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Good... GREIF.

I wouldnt even think about buying a 1911 as cheap as a cast, bargain basement priced ruger, and I wouldnt care if my 1500+ dollar 1911s got scratched on the OUTSIDE much less where that is.

Cause guess what they ARE scratched all over em, because they actually get used.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    When you say tinker you mean hit it with a 24 ounce framing hammer until you don't care what it looks like, right?

LOL, usually how I put my mainspring housing pin back in, that and an AK carbon scraping pick... :D Or your method of beating the gun senselessly! :D

To the subject of Ruger: It's not a matter of "yeay USA". You paid for a bargain 1911, not a Les Baer, not a Ed Brown, not a Wilson. You bought a gun from a company steeped in mass production and, albeit a good warranty, a history of occasional lemons and unpolished work, usually smoothed up with 1000s of rounds or a bit of elbow grease. Every company puts out a bad one here or there. Ruger's a great company, but I am not going to buy one of their 1911s and expect it to be Smithsonian grade, there is a reason Baers and Browns cost what they do. :twocents:

Company accountability is good in the firearms industry. If they don't serve the customer, they tend to go away quick. If I remember, Ruger's do not have a "warranty" per sae, they just don't want bad guns going out there. I think as a company I would focus on function and exterior aestetics, rather than chasing every complaint of a tool mark on the interior when it doesn't affect function. That mark will probably smooth it'self out in a few hundred rounds.

Or heck, send me a PM, bring the slide out to Eagle Creek this weekend, I will smooth it out for you, using a variety of emery cloths and papers, FOR FREE. My god, how the explosion of inexpensive 1911s have done nothing but make people lazy with "just send it back to the factory"itis! :xmad: American exceptionalism was built on buy it cheap, clean it up, fix it up and have a ball! The 1911 is the quintessential American weapon, make it yours! USA USA USA USA :patriot:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    LOL, usually how I put my mainspring housing pin back in, that and an AK carbon scraping pick... :D Or your method of beating the gun senselessly! :D

To the subject of Ruger: It's not a matter of "yeay USA". You paid for a bargain 1911, not a Les Baer, not a Ed Brown, not a Wilson. You bought a gun from a company steeped in mass production and, albeit a good warranty, a history of occasional lemons and unpolished work, usually smoothed up with 1000s of rounds or a bit of elbow grease. Every company puts out a bad one here or there. Ruger's a great company, but I am not going to buy one of their 1911s and expect it to be Smithsonian grade, there is a reason Baers and Browns cost what they do. :twocents:

Company accountability is good in the firearms industry. If they don't serve the customer, they tend to go away quick. If I remember, Ruger's do not have a "warranty" per sae, they just don't want bad guns going out there. I think as a company I would focus on function and exterior aestetics, rather than chasing every complaint of a tool mark on the interior when it doesn't affect function. That mark will probably smooth it'self out in a few hundred rounds.

Or heck, send me a PM, bring the slide out to Eagle Creek this weekend, I will smooth it out for you, using a variety of emery cloths and papers, FOR FREE. My god, how the explosion of inexpensive 1911s have done nothing but make people lazy with "just send it back to the factory"itis! :xmad: American exceptionalism was built on buy it cheap, clean it up, fix it up and have a ball! The 1911 is the quintessential American weapon, make it yours! USA USA USA USA :patriot:

Couldn't have said it better myself.. I guess I must be a bit anal myself because it seems I can pick ANYTHING apart if I look long enough and that would include a Wilson or a Nighthawk.

I should post a pic of the Wilson I just picked up. Probably 6 or 7 years old, carried a lot, shot what appears to be a lot and it looks like it, but it's still a great pistol with a lot of character that will literally put one on top of another at 7 yards.
    The best gunsmith I've ever known never did anything to the finish on his own guns. He referred to the wear they exhibited as "character", a great way to look at things.
    Seriously, if I were you and it bothered me that much I would just sell it (since there is a huge market for the SR1911 at the moment) and not look back. If you got it right you might even be able to make a buck on it. Life is too short to let a little scratch on the inside of your pistol get your jockeys in such a wad.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer
    1911 Mechanic
    [/FONT]

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Most has been said, but I have to add my 5 cents worth. In all my years of collecting firearms, all being 1911's, I have found many like yours. I do like what has been said. Tinker! I get it home and break out my sand papers and stones and go to work. Many of my gun friends say, "Mike you should have been a gunsmith!" I just love to get inside of them and take out tool marks and such. When I'm done they function like they are coated with butter. Funny, when I read your post I had just received my Ruger 1911 about two hours ago.
    I started to look up some parts for another firearm when I ran across your post, so I went to the safe and took a look at mine. Funny mine looks the same as yours. Don't let this sway you from selling it. Years ago I bought a Rock Island 1911 and it sure looked rough inside, but with some stoning and sanding, it is now my favorite carry. I have some Les Baers and some Wilson's that are +$2000 and my lowly $500 Rock Island will do everything that they will do.
    I own 27 different 1911's and one of them is a Remington Rand. I have been offered $2700 for it and you should see inside of it! Tool marks up the wazoo. Yet it functions 100%!! This one I will keep no matter the offered price. Keep that Ruger, get some stones and sand papers and touch it up a little, or just take it out and shoot the crap out of it. You'll find those marks and scratches will slowly fade away or you'll find others. Enough of my blubber. Have fun with it and enjoy....

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Personally, I'd shoot it and if there was no issues with function and it is really a cosmetic on the inside and has to be disassembled to see it, I would not see it as an issue. If it were an issue with the integrity of the metal or rusted all over the inside, etc then it would have been a concern. If you wanted one that was perfect cosmetically on the inside and out, you needed to disassemble it at the store before purchase. I don't have a problem with someone being concerned about such things, but just inspect it to make sure it is to your liking to avoid it being an after purchase issue.

If it was a cosmetic issue on the outside that did not affect function, then I could see having an issue, but then you would have likely seen it while at the store.

But then again, I own Glocks, so clearly I'm more into function than form.

I'm sure someone would be willing to buy it here in the classifieds for what you have into it and would be very happy with it, as these are currently made of unobtanium.

Last edited:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Guess I'm spoiled by owning Sprinfield & Sig 1911s before this one..
    So Springfield and Sig are perfect? Hardly. Google Sig Scorpion 1911 problems. Hell, google ANY manufacturer and 1911 problems and see what you get. You say you want to support US companies? How does your bashing of Ruger for this miniscule problem do that? Give it a rest.:rolleyes:

hankhill

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    I ve had nothing but lousey service from Ruger. Always sending the gun in TWICE until acceptable. Makes me wonder why so many thing they take care of their customers.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Can' t find the post at the moment, but somewhere a few pages back said the SR1911 was cast. Wrong, it is not cast. CNC'd.

The frame is most certainly cast, not forged.

It is almost undoubtedly machined on CNC equipment though.

Ruger SR1911

I wouldn't be too happy if I were the OP here, and that was my money.

Signs of things to come with manufacturers running at capacity for the forseeable future. Lots of quality concerns across the board the last time we were here a few years back.

McGraw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Brockton
    Sorry to hear your experience. I waited a long time for mine also and was disappointed with the fit and finish. I carried mine one day and the trigger rattles around like a maraca. I called Ruger and asked and was told it was not a match grade gun. None of my 1911s are. Most are around the same price point as the Ruger the most expensive being a S&W e series and have never had this problem. It's not a huge thing, maybe it was the long wait and anticipation but it was incredibly disappointing. To be fair the gun functions perfectly. Just expected a little more all my other rugers have been rifles and never left me feeling like I bought some cheap sh**t. So you are not alone.

Top Bottom