• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scruffles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    North East IN
    I am trying to decide whether to get a Ruger SR9 or an S&W M&P9L. The purpose of the gun would be for 50 foot bullseye shooting as well as an edc. I may also get into USPSA but I’m not sure. For the SR9 i would get a Ghost Ultimate Trigger and for the M&P9L I would get the Apex Competition AEK. I can only afford 1 handgun and I’ve determined these two are my best options for both roles. It would just be a matter of changing parts between edc and competition. Being new to carrying I would prefer a thumb safety but if the M&P9L with the Apex parts would be more accurate then I might overlook that feature. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks! :ingo:

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I would go with the M&P. I just think it's the better built, more accurate pistol of the two.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Both of those guns are just as accurate as the other one. Shot an M&P 9 many times, and I have an SR9. It all comes down to you doing your part. I will give this to the M&P, its got a ton more accessories.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    The Apex parts make a good bit of positive difference in trigger pull and break. Would suggest the Apex RAM as well if you're looking for a bit more positive reset. I'd definitely go with the M&P.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A few of the better Production shooters around are using regular M&P9's.

I wouldn't even bother with the L if you want it for a carry gun too.

Another vote for the M&P with Apex kit.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I would go with the M&P. I just think it's the better built, more accurate pistol of the two.
    ^ this. If youre going to EDC it though I wouldnt go with the comp kit but opt for the duty kit. Not much difference in the two but Apex states that if youre going to carry the gun too that they advise against the comp kit for some reason and push the duty Apex kit. Just a FYI. I would definitely go with the M&P though!:twocents:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    FWIW, I shoot my 3.5" barrel SR9c in IDPA and it has never failed. I'm not as accurate with it as I am my 5" M&P, but that's to be expected.

If you are comparing apples to apples, the SR9 and the M&P 9 (standard length) they're both going to be plenty accurate and both are well built.

My SR9c trigger was better out of the box than the trigger on a standard M&P but not as good as the M&P once the Apex kit is installed.

The best solution is to do what I did... :D You knew that was coming right?

A SR9c for EDC and a M&P Pro for gaming. Although what with accessories and all, if I had it to do over, I'd have gone with the M&P 9 Compact with Apex DCAEK for my EDC...

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    For a dual purpose gun, it's hard to beat the 4.25" M&P. Small enough to conceal, big enough to work just fine for competition purposes.

I'm only running one gun for both purposes. It's a full size 4.25 M&P and it's working pretty well. I've seen plenty of other USPSA shooters running the 4.25 M&P with even good success as well.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Rob shoots the .357 version of the M&P.

He only does that because when all of the other shooters are picking up brass, they throw his .357 brass away in disgust... :D

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Not to mention that so many other shooters are shooting it. You've got about 40% Glock, 40% M&P and 20% everything else in Production.

If you're ever at a competition and need something, parts, gear, help, etc... chances are there are going to be a ton of people that can loan you something.

I've never seen another Ruger at any match I've been to.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Not to mention that so many other shooters are shooting it. You've got about 40% Glock, 40% M&P and 20% everything else in Production.

If you're ever at a competition and need something, parts, gear, help, etc... chances are there are going to be a ton of people that can loan you something.

I've never seen another Ruger at any match I've been to.

Why are they so held in such high regards by competition shooters?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You've got about 40% Glock, 40% M&P and 20% everything else in Production.

eh, that may be around here, but let's not be silly ;)

The M&P is catching up, but not there yet :)

Once mags become more available, I may give one a try.

All the ones I've messed with I really like.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom