• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Love my M&Ps. Honestly dont know much about the SR9. The M&Ps also come compact. Mine is a .40 but to me has the same recoil as my Glock 19.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    They use to be a solid $100 apart, but I keep seeing them get closer and closer together, price wise. I really like the SR9c, especially for it's value, but as it becomes more expensive and I keep seeing better prices on M&Ps, I'd have a hard time recommending it against the M&P. So I guess I'm saying, it depends on the prices you can get each one at.

Elvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne

I carry an M&P9c and although not my first handgun, this is my firstcarry gun. Compared to my Taurus PT99 this gun is tiny but.... Maybe it’sbecause I’m fat but it’s hard to conceal completely in summer clothes withoutwearing two shirts. I am now looking at getting an LCP for summer carry. I amnot thrilled with the .380 cartridge but it’s better than not carrying becauseof concealment issues. I am not opposed to open or partially open carry but let’sbe honest that’s not always appropriate.

That being said, The M&P9c is a great gun in all respects. Very accurateand I love the trigger compared to the glocks I have shot. I would not trade my9c for anything, just hard to conceal at times for this fat man.:twocents:

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I have 2 Ruger sr9c's, carry one every day. I like them real well, 3 different magazine congurations and two different grip configurations, overall I am very happy with them. They both have great triggers. I see them used for about $400 and new for about $460.

I have an M&P 9, but not the compact, I have been real happu with it as well.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    SR9c looks sexxy until you load it up, a fugly flag flips up and screams I'm not sexy anymore. Yes, beauty is in the eye of the be-hostered.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I have shot both and like both the M&P and the SR9. I think the M&P is a better gun overall. I don't think you can go wrong on either but if you are not into manual safeties on your carry weapon the M&P is probably a better choice. I carry a M&P9c every day and love it.

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I chose the M&P40c over the SR40c. I prefer the way it fits my hand and the lack of an external safety but you're preferences may differ. The trigger on the SR was grittier but shorter with a shorter and more positive reset. However the reset did improve on the M&P after several hundred rounds. Honestly I think you would be well served by either gun.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I have 2 Ruger sr9c's, carry one every day. I like them real well, 3 different magazine congurations and two different grip configurations, overall I am very happy with them. They both have great triggers. I see them used for about $400 and new for about $460.

I have an M&P 9, but not the compact, I have been real happu with it as well.

Love my Sr9c. 1000 rounds through it with no problems.
    I shoot it better than the Smith.
    Shoot both to see which you like.
    If you shop with a little effort you can easily find the Sr9c for approx $400 or less new.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN

I carry an M&P9c and although not my first handgun, this is my firstcarry gun. Compared to my Taurus PT99 this gun is tiny but.... Maybe it’sbecause I’m fat but it’s hard to conceal completely in summer clothes withoutwearing two shirts. I am now looking at getting an LCP for summer carry. I amnot thrilled with the .380 cartridge but it’s better than not carrying becauseof concealment issues. I am not opposed to open or partially open carry but let’sbe honest that’s not always appropriate.

That being said, The M&P9c is a great gun in all respects. Very accurateand I love the trigger compared to the glocks I have shot. I would not trade my9c for anything, just hard to conceal at times for this fat man.:twocents:

Agreed, and I am pretty average build. I love my M&P9c and can shoot it all day at the range, but there are times when I'd like something a bit smaller for cc like a M&P Shield or a Nano. If I could only have one though, I think the M&P9c is a nice all-arounder...big enough to shoot comfortably, reasonable to conceal, decent capacity.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    The ONLY thing I don't care for about the SR9c is the external safety and magazine disconnect safety. I carried a M&P 9c for over a year and switched to carrying the SR9c after I tried it. SR9c has a better out of the box trigger IMO, just a great carry gun if you like having external safeties.

After switching several times I have now found myself going back to Glock, my EDC is now a Gen4 Glock 19.

As for the 40's I can speak to those, I stay away from the .40 S&W caliber.

If you do decide on the SR9c I am selling mine in the classifieds if you are able to access those yet. Including 2 good holsters with it as well.

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Is there much recoil or biting with the SR9 or SR9C? How about the SR40 & SR40C? How well do these guns conceal?

The sr40 and 40c, are the same size as the Sr9c and SR9. Same weight as well.

I personally do not like the snappy recoil of the 40 round. But the SR40 and 40c do get great reviews in this regard. I have no experience with them.

If you are talking about slide bite, the Rugers won't do that unless you have some funky high grip going on.

The SR9c has what is considered to have one of the better triggers avialble from a factory gun. The Sr9 trigger is just a tad off the 9c.

Both the 9c and the SR9 I consider to be light in recoil. YMMV

The Sr9c isn't a pocket gun by any means, but I consider it easy to conceal with the compact mag either IWB or OWB.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The sr40 and 40c, are the same size as the Sr9c and SR9. Same weight as well.

I personally do not like the snappy recoil of the 40 round. But the SR40 and 40c do get great reviews in this regard. I have no experience with them.

If you are talking about slide bite, the Rugers won't do that unless you have some funky high grip going on.

The SR9c has what is considered to have one of the better triggers avialble from a factory gun. The Sr9 trigger is just a tad off the 9c.

Both the 9c and the SR9 I consider to be light in recoil. YMMV

The Sr9c isn't a pocket gun by any means, but I consider it easy to conceal with the compact mag either IWB or OWB.

Thanks for the info. The C's looked smaller so I was curious if they would bite like a S&W 380 Bodyguard (which I hate). I'm looking for something solid but smaller / thinner than my Ruger Sp101 357 to carry. Something I may be able to conceal better IWB.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    The Ruger C series are considerably larger than the Bodyguard and I don't believe you would have the same issue with the "bite" you mentioned. But they are still very concealable. There are also a slew of new single stack 9mm from every manufacturer that would be even more concealable than the Ruger C, G26/27, M&Pc, etc. I've tried some of these and they can be a handful. I currently have a Kahr CM9 that is a nice balance of compact size without overwhelming recoil. Sig P290 and the new P938 are options as well as the M&P Shield (which to me is a reconfigured Walther PPS), The XDS series are out now, as well as many others. I realize this is off topic from your original question but there are many many options available for a concealable 9mm.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    M&P9C is easy as heck to conceal, you just need the right holster to make it comfortable. I have the Galco King Tuc IWB. My hands are too big for a Shield probably, but the 9c is as accurate as any full size pistol for me. I have an LCP for extreme cases, but I picked the M&P9C as my EDC, and the one gun to trust for nearly all situations. I could honestly do without the LCP, it is more of a novelty, and is not accurate enough to boost my confidence.

IMO the M&P is in a class above Rugers, and can be had for less, so for me it is a no brainer.

Top Bottom