• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I took it upon myself to start this thread, as a means to help avert cluttering up the "story" of the original St. John situations.

I believe we should organize a letter writing campaing to multiple parties in St. John expressing the public opinion of their department's misguidance.

Pleace join me by posting your support for those who have had experiences there and by posting letter templates.

Thanks

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I took it upon myself to start this thread, as a means to help avert cluttering up the "story" of the original St. John situations.

I believe we should organize a letter writing campaing to multiple parties in St. John expressing the public opinion of their department's misguidance.

Pleace join me by posting your support for those who have had experiences there and by posting letter templates.

Thanks

:+1:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Great idea. Remember, there are at least two confirmed stories of 'abuse' by the St. John PD.
    I have been informed that the chief is the main instegator for a lot of this, so writing him really won't help, except to inform him that people are on to him
    Writing to the town manager, the town council and the police commission is probably the best route. With a copy to the local papers.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I agree, sending coppies of every letter to local news venues is a definate. Make sure to include a CC: (Insert Recipient Here) on the letter.

Not only will this help invoke a response but it will show them you mean business.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Thanks
    I agree, and think this is a good idea, or post a link, and we could sign the letter(s).....

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I dont really know where St. John is but I will not be going there. I dont know if other feel this way too, but it could lead to loss of money to the town.I would think that the mayor and other officials might get involved if there was a big enough boycott.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Cross posted from another thread with mods.

Send your letter to the mayor and city council. Let the police chief get it because the mayor's staff hands it to him.

The police chief has a job. He's going to do his job as he sees fit, unless told to do it otherwise. If / when the time comes the mayor wants him replaced, he goes back to his old position on the force. Not a grain of skin off his nose that you don't like his rule. The mayor and council on the other hand are up for job renewal. They don't want pissed off voters.

I would suggest one letter be sent by one person to the mayor and council members initially. If you start a letter writing campaign from jump you're not giving the process a chance to work for you. Wait to escalate until there's either no or unacceptable response.

Finally, you need to get the name of someone at the PD and put in your letter.

My letter would read as follows:

Dear Mayor ...,

I am a St John's resident. Recently an acquaintance of mine purchased a handgun for his personal protection. As required by law in order to carry his handgun, he applied for a license to carry a handgun with the St John's Police Department. He was informed by the St John's Police that open carrying (carrying a hand gun in such a way as to be visible) is against state law, and that only concealed carry (handgun hidden from view) was the only permissible mode of carry allowed in Indiana. Anecdotally, I have heard the same statement attributed to the police department from other St John's residents.

To verify for myself, I contacted the St John's Police on (date) at (time) and spoke with (PD Contact). I asked if open carry was allowed in St John's. His (her) response was that it was not, and the only type of handgun carry permitted was concealed.

This is simply untrue. Indiana law permits open carrying of handguns. I am not sure why the police have taken the position that open carry is illegal. As someone who open carries a handgun, I am concerned that I could be confronted by the police in the future while carrying my handgun consistent with and within the spirit and letter of Indiana law.

Thank you for your time. My goal, which I am sure you share, is to improve the safety and security of all law abiding residents and visitors to St John's.

Sincerely,

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Please proof read and corret:

This petition arises from matters relating to Saint John Indiana.

There have been multiple incidents cited that suggest the law enforcement officials of Saint John do not understand the rights of the citizens of the State of Indiana to carry a gun. This petition is an appeal from the citizens that the officers of Saint John be informed that it is legal in Indiana to Open Carry a firearm and Conceal Carry a firearm with a License to Carry Handgun issued by the Indiana State Police.

We request that all officers be required to awknowledge this basic right of the citizens of this State in writing.

It is also equally important that agents of the Saint John municipality understand this fundamental principle. Situation have arose in which Saint John employees have informed citizens applying for their License to Carry a Handgun that it is not legal to carry their weapon openly. This is untrue. Indiana Code is silent on the matter thus making it legal to so:

"Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or exposed? Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement officer does have the right to inspect the permit." Found by clicking here. Please review page 7.

Signers of this petition are making an appeal to those in authority in the town of Saint John to make it clear to those acting as agents thereof, will not tollerate the misinformation given and will require the forementioned concessions be met by agents of the town and law enforcement officials.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Cross posted from another thread with mods.

Send your letter to the mayor and city council. Let the police chief get it because the mayor's staff hands it to him.

The police chief has a job. He's going to do his job as he sees fit, unless told to do it otherwise. If / when the time comes the mayor wants him replaced, he goes back to his old position on the force. Not a grain of skin off his nose that you don't like his rule. The mayor and council on the other hand are up for job renewal. They don't want pissed off voters.

I would suggest one letter be sent by one person to the mayor and council members initially. If you start a letter writing campaign from jump you're not giving the process a chance to work for you. Wait to escalate until there's either no or unacceptable response.

Finally, you need to get the name of someone at the PD and put in your letter.

My letter would read as follows:

Dear Mayor ...,

I am a St John's resident. Recently an acquaintance of mine purchased a handgun for his personal protection. As required by law in order to carry his handgun, he applied for a license to carry a handgun with the St John's Police Department. He was informed by the St John's Police that open carrying (carrying a hand gun in such a way as to be visible) is against state law, and that only concealed carry (handgun hidden from view) was the only permissible mode of carry allowed in Indiana. Anecdotally, I have heard the same statement attributed to the police department from other St John's residents.

To verify for myself, I contacted the St John's Police on (date) at (time) and spoke with (PD Contact). I asked if open carry was allowed in St John's. His (her) response was that it was not, and the only type of handgun carry permitted was concealed.

This is simply untrue. Indiana law permits open carrying of handguns. I am not sure why the police have taken the position that open carry is illegal. As someone who open carries a handgun, I am concerned that I could be confronted by the police in the future while carrying my handgun consistent with and within the spirit and letter of Indiana law.

Thank you for your time. My goal, which I am sure you share, is to improve the safety and security of all law abiding residents and visitors to St John's.

Sincerely,

A letter writing campaign is the process. A single letter does express the will of the people. The town is acting as it feels it needs to protect it's citizens, I don't think they are purposefully breaking the trust of the people. Thus informing them they are incorrect is what needs to happen.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    This is where I would start!

Town Council

I have found that multiple letters to ALL of the town council members seems to get their attention! Email addresses are listed. Let them know how you feel and what the law IS!

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    A letter writing campaign is the process. A single letter does express the will of the people. The town is acting as it feels it needs to protect it's citizens, I don't think they are purposefully breaking the trust of the people. Thus informing them they are incorrect is what needs to happen.

Yeah, don't give the mayor or other elected officials a chance to fix this. Put them all on the defensive and force them to circle the wagons. Getting eveyone spun up and twisting in the wind is always the best way to get things done. Make it a huge issue so that the hostile media will get involved and you won't get what you want without a lot of fighting. That's always the best way to accomplish a goal.

Or you can write one letter to the mayor and council members and give them a chance to fix it.

Whatever. I don't live there. Was just trying to help. Peace out.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Yeah, don't give the mayor or other elected officials a chance to fix this. Put them all on the defensive and force them to circle the wagons. Getting eveyone spun up and twisting in the wind is always the best way to get things done. Make it a huge issue so that the hostile media will get involved and you won't get what you want without a lot of fighting. That's always the best way to accomplish a goal.

Or you can write one letter to the mayor and council members and give them a chance to fix it.

Whatever. I don't live there. Was just trying to help. Peace out.

Letters of complaint based on specific situations have been written, the response was criminal case. Which was then dropped in lieu of legality.

They have not responded to single letters, and this is documented. The only rational step to take now is to make sure this is made public.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Just an idea...

Dear Sir.

I came across this issue on a very large internet forum of 12,000 gun owners and strong 2nd amendment supporters. I can only assume it has interested more then myself.

As a law-abiding Indiana resident I have recently become concerned with your town and the way at least two individuals from our forum have been treated there.

I am giving your current Law Enforcement Officers the benefit of the doubt and assuming they are just misinformed to the stance of the state of Indiana code as it pertains to the legal carry of a handgun. I could go on to provide links to the codes but I will not insult your intelligence with that as you have just as many if not more resources to find the current I.C as I do.

This letter (see below) is now featured on the forum INGunOwners - Indiana Gun Owners Community and felt a slightly more personal letter would go a long way to opening friendly communication so that we can clarify this issue.

This petition arises from matters relating to Saint John Indiana.

There have been multiple incidents cited that suggest the law enforcement officials of Saint John do not understand the rights of the citizens of the State of Indiana to carry a gun. This petition is an appeal from the citizens that the officers of Saint John be informed that it is legal in Indiana to Open Carry a firearm and Conceal Carry a firearm with a License to Carry Handgun issued by the Indiana State Police.

We request that all officers be required to awknowledge this basic right of the citizens of this State in writing.

It is also equally important that agents of the Saint John municipality understand this fundamental principle. Situation have arose in which Saint John employees have informed citizens applying for their License to Carry a Handgun that it is not legal to carry their weapon openly. This is untrue. Indiana Code is silent on the matter thus making it legal to so:

"Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or exposed? Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement officer does have the right to inspect the permit." Found by clicking here. Please review page 7.

Signers of this petition are making an appeal to those in authority in the town of Saint John to make it clear to those acting as agents thereof, will not tollerate the misinformation given and will require the forementioned concessions be met by agents of the town and law enforcement officials.

I would send this to.
    barenie8@yahoo.com
    and CC.
    forbesmike@yahoo.com , mfryzel@stjohnin.com , greg.volk@yahoo.com

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Just an idea...

Dear Sir.

I am just one member of a very large Internet forum for Indiana gun owners. We are 12,000 strong and growing everyday.

As a courtesy, I would ask Fenway before bringing the forum into any letter.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    As a courtesy, I would ask Fenway before bringing the forum into any letter.

I understand and that is why it was just a suggestion. I never made any statement that this action was backed by INGO or Fenway I just referenced the site. I am not a leader when it comes to the polictics stuff I don't have time.

Much like if I said we had a meeting at Mickey D's and discussed it there it does not mean they endorse it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Just an idea...

Dear Sir.

I am just one member of a very large Internet forum for Indiana gun owners. We are 12,000 strong and growing everyday.

That is what I keyed in on. The "We" and naming of size, etc. made it sound like you are speaking for more than just yourself. I kinda thought that this was the point of naming the size of the forum as to carry weight greater than one voice.

Perhaps I read that wrong. But the assumption is that since you are invoking the royal "We" you mean to involve the forum.

If you wrote, "I came across this issue on a very large internet forum of 12000 gun owners, etc." I would not have mentioned it since then you are speaking of yourself but letting them know people are paying the situation attention.

That was my thinking.

Top Bottom