St. Joseph Hospital in Mishawaka off Limits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I've had to go to St. Joseph hospital in Mishawaka several times in the last month (just visiting people) and have noticed that every public entrance has this sign posted:
    0607112038.jpg

My question arises from the wording of the sign claiming that State law prohibits the carrying of firearms. I know that SEA 292 which went into law on July 1 of last year states:
    Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:
    (7) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a public hospital corporation that contains a secure correctional health unit that is staffed by a law enforcement officer twenty-four (24) hours a day.

Every time I have been in there, I have seen a uniformed Mishawaka police officer at a small desk in the lobby, so I know that it is staffed by a law enforcement officer. What I am unsure of is:

1. What is the definition of a "public hospital corporation"?

2. Is the hospital staffed by a LEO 24 hours a day?

3. Does the hospital contain a correctional health unit?

I figure I'll ask the INGO brain trust, and if nobody knows for sure, I can try to email St. Joseph hospital, although I really don't expect them to fully answer my questions.

**NOTE - This sign is only at the Mishawaka location. I have not seen any signs at the Plymouth hospital.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As far as I can tell, St. Francis is NOT a public hospital corporation. It is a private not-for-profit hospital corporation. The preemption law would not impact them at all, and they can have whatever policy they want.

Their sign is still wrong, though. There is no LAW against carrying at private hospitals that are not part of the local government.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    So just carry a long gun, problem solved. Sorry, I have nothing useful to add to this this thread. I'll shut up.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    As far as I can tell, St. Francis ? is NOT a public hospital corporation. It is a private not-for-profit hospital corporation. The preemption law would not impact them at all, and they can have whatever policy they want.

Their sign is still wrong, though. There is no LAW against carrying at private hospitals that are not part of the local government.

The OP said St Joseph.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    From Saint Joseph website:
    Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center is a not-for-profit, multi-hospital health system located in North Central Indiana. The first institution in South Bend to care for the sick, Saint Joseph's Hospital was established in 1882 by the Sisters of the Holy Cross. Today, SJRMC is a Ministry Organization of Trinity Health, the fourth largest Catholic healthcare system in the country. We provide personalized, faith-based care paired with the latest in advanced medical technology and procedures.

The question then becomes one of defining the term "public hospital corporation." Does that mean a hospital that receives funding from tax dollars, or one that is open to the public? If it simply means a hospital that is open to the public, then that could include ANY hospital. I just don't know where to look to get an accurate definition of the term.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I just conceal when I visit.

So do I. My concern is that I can get somewhat sloppy when I CC. What if someone were to spot my CC? If there is some way, no matter how slim, that this sign is in fact correct (which I highly doubt), I could be arrested and charged. Another concern is whether the LEO on duty knows whether the sign is invalid or not. What if he were to take action against me... I want proof that the sign is incorrect.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I agree with carry a long gun. It clearly only says handguns are not permitted.

I take it you never got a response from the email/letter you sent off last summer. I'm not sure about LEO on site 24/7 but I have noticed the Plymouth campus has had a Marshall County patrol car (more often a truck) down by the ambulance bays just about every time I've been past.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Do they have a locked psychiatric unit?

Just checked their site, nothing mentioned of a locked wing. As I am understanding, it's not against the law. They seem to be FoS, and as far as I can tell are trying to be able to bypass the sign not carrying weight of law.

Tread lightly as they may just try to prosecute for tresspass rather than asking to leave.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Wouldn't worry about their warning. Even if posting a sign had the weight of the law like in other states, they completely misspelled the word "Prohibits" on theirs.
    Because of that alone, they deserve an OC event. Sign is meaningless in my opinion.
    But what do I know, I'm just a Hair Trigger Nutjob. :dunno:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You started a thread about the same thing (and even sent them a letter) just a few months ago...
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...al_mishawaka_blatant_lies_and_misleading.html

1. I never got any kind of response from them regarding my letter. That's why I don't hold out hope of them responding to another letter.

2. I posted this thread rather than necro the other thread since the other thread quickly degraded into a debate on abortion. :rolleyes:

3. I hadn't noticed the Mishawaka police officer there before, and when I saw him, my questions were raised again because that adds to the speculation that they are in fact attempting to comply with State law.

4. Also wondering if the sign is indeed invalid, why tax payers are paying to keep an on-duty LEO stationed at a desk at a private not for profit hospital?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    The way the law reads to me is that the locked unit must be staffed by a LEO. If that's the case, it wouldn't matter if they had their own police force.

Usual disclaimers apply: IANAL and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Obviously, you won't find a law saying that it is not illegal to carry there. I know that sentence is convoluted, sorry. Mishawaka LEO or not, they're privately owned, not public, and even so, that law only says that a public hospital is not prohibited from having a rule on carrying there. Private facilities are not addressed in that law at all. I've not looked into where SJMRC's "mother ship" is located. If they're a hospital based in another state, it's possible they just used the misspelled sign from that state, referencing a law that is inapplicable here.

Or they might just be lying out their backsides.

They can still ask you to leave under threat of trespassing you, but IN has no law against carrying in a hospital, per se, nor should we.

IANAL, TINLA

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:
    Top Bottom