• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Need some INGO wisdom!

i'm about to purchase myself a b-day present. ive decided on getting an AR15. my first was an olympic and ended up getting rid of it because to many problems with it. some the problems weren't mechanical

i have it basically narrowed down to 2 variants of the rifle

Stag arms STAG-15 VS. Spikes Tactical ST-15 M4 LE Carbine

i dont really want to spend $1000-1500 for just the basic rifle since i will be doing a lot of modifications and adding parts and pieces. i'm also considering getting it SBR'ed and a Silencer for it sometime in the future. and if all goes well maybe even a spikes tactical 37mm flare launcher just for funzies.

i will be putting on new forward hand rails and probably a new stock i.e. Magpul MOE or such so i want a rifle that can easily accomodate a large range of different accessories. i have heard stories about colt AR15's not interchangable with certain parts but i dont know to what extend or if the rumors hold true.

which would you choose?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    As for the Stag, I'd save you some money and get a CMMG. Same gun made by the same people, one just generally costs less...

As for Spikes, since they don't make their guns either I'd look somewhere else as well.

What Olympic did you have? And what issues did you experience? Our shop post sample full auto is one of the most reliable M4's I've ever shot.

Me personally I've had great luck with my CMMG piston guns and our shop SBR, otherwise the Smith and Wesson M&P's are great and usually have some rebate for them. They also come in some of the configurations you're thinking about doing to it anyway...

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I've got a Stag and really like it so that'd be my choice but I think Spikes makes very good AR as well. I believe Stags are made by Continental Machine and Tool which has a very good reputation from what I've seen but I could'nt tell you who makes spikes.

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    As for the Stag, I'd save you some money and get a CMMG. Same gun made by the same people, one just generally costs less...

As for Spikes, since they don't make their guns either I'd look somewhere else as well.

What Olympic did you have? And what issues did you experience? Our shop post sample full auto is one of the most reliable M4's I've ever shot.

Me personally I've had great luck with my CMMG piston guns and our shop SBR, otherwise the Smith and Wesson M&P's are great and usually have some rebate for them. They also come in some of the configurations you're thinking about doing to it anyway...

CMT = Stag. CMMG is a different company all together.

You are correct about the S&W M&Ps. They offer a great value. I just wish they had more choices with a 1 in 7" twist.

Of the two choices that the OP listed, Spikes is the clear winner in my book. They do a lot of the little things that make for a durable and reliable carbine in the long run (MP testing, proper staking, taper pins, etc). They have documented much (maybe all at this point) of their manufacturing and testing procedures which really shows that some care and thought go into their ARs. Spikes is tough to beat for the price.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    I'm not here to bash Stag as honestly I have very little interaction with them. However, I would highly recommend Spikes. The quality of their equipment is great. Their cost is very reasonable especially when compared to the quality. Finally, one of the most important features to me is their Customer Service. They will answer any question you have and if they don't know they don't B.S. you they go and find the answer. They are also very familiar with NFA items and what configurations run best in many calibers.

You mentioned building a certain configuration. It's worth your time to just give Spikes a call and tell them what you are looking for. They build to suit and don't charge a mark up because you want to mod a configuration. They have also just released their own rails which are nice and pretty cool.

Finally, if you go the spikes way and are looking to build a B.A. multi cal SBR check out their Billet lower as your foundation. JMO

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You get more bang for your buck with Spikes. Go with them. Although, you really can't go wrong with either of those 2. But I'd still go with the Spike.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I'm not here to bash Stag as honestly I have very little interaction with them. However, I would highly recommend Spikes. The quality of their equipment is great. Their cost is very reasonable especially when compared to the quality. Finally, one of the most important features to me is their Customer Service. They will answer any question you have and if they don't know they don't B.S. you they go and find the answer. They are also very familiar with NFA items and what configurations run best in many calibers.

You mentioned building a certain configuration. It's worth your time to just give Spikes a call and tell them what you are looking for. They build to suit and don't charge a mark up because you want to mod a configuration. They have also just released their own rails which are nice and pretty cool.

Finally, if you go the spikes way and are looking to build a B.A. multi cal SBR check out their Billet lower as your foundation. JMO

I'll echo the comments above. I inquired about a special build with Spikes using their available in-stock options. I provided a wish list of features and specific parts to be built off of that same base model listed. The sent back a quote and it seems to be cheaper doing it this way, rather than buying a base model and then buying the parts individually at a later time. It basically came down to paying for the incremental differences in the options on my wish list.

They've been very good about follow-up and answering questions too!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you are looking to save a few $$$ check out my post on building your own AR lower. It's a LOT easier to do than what I first imagined.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/111310-my_first_ar_build.html

I have to agree. You can build an AR for much less than you can buy, and it is much easier than I first thought.

Here's a really good start,

Assembling your own stripped AR-15 lower -- 56k killer

I've used this to assemble my first two builds, completely by myself, and with no prior experience.

Both rifles run fine, with no issues at all.

I did purchase assembled uppers for these two builds, but my next ones will be all mine.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Both stag and spikes have the 2 gayest roll marks in the industry. The question is can you stand looking at a retarded spider/wookie face or a dumb deer head?

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Both stag and spikes have the 2 gayest roll marks in the industry. The question is can you stand looking at a retarded spider/wookie face or a dumb deer head?

well honestly it will be a hunting, plinking, and home defense gun....so if the coyote is close enough to see the spider/wookie he is already dead, if someone comes in during the middle of the night with a gun intent on harm to me or my family thankfully the only thing he'll see is a muzzle while the entire cleveland browns football team rooms in the back of his pants

but thanks for all the info from everyone who posted their info and experience with either model!

jwh7399

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Granger
    I recently purchased a Spike's 16" lightweight complete upper to add to a DPMS complete lower that I had for some time. I haven't shot it yet, but the "fit and finish" of the complete upper is outstanding. I vote for Spike's!

jwh7399

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Granger
    Citronman1980

I tried to reply to your PM but I don't have enough posts to send PM's yet.

I'de be happy to shoot you an e-mail if you'de like to PM me your e-mail address. I think I need about 3 more posts before I can PM so it should be soon.

Jon

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

I'm pretty sure you can get a spikes lower without the spider and what's wrong witha deer head? I've seen deer all my life in Indiana and actually thought it was cool when I saw it. I wish they made one with a tractor or cow on it:):

Top Bottom