• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I am looking into my first AR I know I am going to get a custom built one just not sure on details as of yet. My main question is what are the advantages/dis-advantages of 2 stage/ single stage trigger. any other advice is greatly appreciated.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    What do you mean custom? ARs are like legos, add, remove, relocate parts all day long. I am guessing but I bet you mean or want to build an AR. Its personal (custom) and less expensive, and you don't have to get junk you don't want.

Let me be clear, its only less expensive if you know what your getting and trying to get the least expensive rifle as possible. However when you start looking at parts and tend to buy quality and more functional pieces, it gets more expensive ;)

BTW 2 stage triggers... have an extra stage :D

Two stage triggers are smoother and should help make you more accurate with the weapon.

The two stage trigger enables you to achieve a very high degree of accuracy because you can take up all the slack without worrying about accidentally firing and you can set your trigger pull weight very very low.

kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    I'm no expert on this but I'll chime in. I think the pros and cons are different for every person based on how they use their AR.

In VERY general terms, I think that people say this:
    Single stage = more reliable
    Two stage = more accurate

It may be better explained this way...

With a single stage trigger, the trigger is directly connected to the sear. Thus if it requires 5 lbs of to disengage the sear, you have to pull with 5 lbs of force. This high required force could possibly cause some movement of the barrel in the trigger pulling process. However, with a two stage trigger, there is an intermediate or second spring that allows you to "pre-load" the trigger, say with 3 lbs of force then with the final 2 lb of force you are disengaging the sear and firing the weapon. The lower force required for the second stage should allow for less movement of the barrel and thus more accuracy (as the more barrel movement is directly related to the accuracy at the target).

This is just my example and the weights and way the triggers work vary. Of course, everyone will have their own opinion about this. But, like I said above, I'm definitely not an expert, just giving my 2 cents.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    In VERY general terms, I think that people say this:
    Single stage = more reliable
    Two stage = more accurate

well, there are single stage triggers out there that are not as reliable (that utilize set screws and threadlocker in their design) but are favored for enabling accurate shooting, and there are two stages that are incredibly reliable (eg M1 and M14/M1a). So I don't know that I agree with that generalization.

You have to weigh your personal preference against the mechanical design of the specific trigger you want to use. Best if you can try before you buy. The good thing is they come out of the AR as easy as they go in, so experimenting is as easy as posting a 'for sale' add if you don't like what you're running.

I prefer 2 stage triggers. I use the ones from RRA. I think they are a good blend of reliability, aid in accuracy, and shoot just as fast for me as any single stage. A simple design and reasonable cost.

-rvb

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Single stage triggers are better for shooting on the move, or speed shooting of any sort.

2-stage triggers are better for precision, due to the ability to know when the trigger is going to break, and being able to settle yourself, let your breath out etc.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I use the term custom loosely. Meaning one I build and pick all the pieces for, like you said redneckmedic, building a Lego house. this will be my first one so I am still trying to figure out what I want/need. Price really doesn't matter, double income no kids, so I'm building my collection while I can.

kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    well, there are single stage triggers out there that are not as reliable (that utilize set screws and threadlocker in their design) but are favored for enabling accurate shooting, and there are two stages that are incredibly reliable (eg M1 and M14/M1a). So I don't know that I agree with that generalization.

I agree with you there for sure. There are highly accurate single stage triggers and highly reliable two stage triggers. I was just attempting to make a very general statement based on what I've read about them. Like I said, I'm no expert. I stand corrected.

You have to weigh your personal preference against the mechanical design of the specific trigger you want to use. Best if you can try before you buy. The good thing is they come out of the AR as easy as they go in, so experimenting is as easy as posting a 'for sale' add if you don't like what you're running.

Though it doesn't necessarily provide an answer to the OP, I think this is the best response to his question.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I'm a big fan of timney triggers. I believe mine was a 2 stage by timney and it was a really sweet shooter.

Like everyone has said before : "try before you buy"

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Here is the trigger I use it is the single stage, but they do have a two stage if you want.
    It is fully adjustable so you can tune it to the feel you want.
    You can choose what trigger pull you want, I use the 2lb. spring it works great, and real smooth. I just keep my finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    It is a totally different design than the original AR trigger.
    AR-15 triggers

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I say it is time for another AR Open House @ MCFG......

Dude. why does MCFG have do to with anything?

You have so many ARs, your truck is a AR open house.

This is like totally your house, if the crabs were AR15s...

christmas-island-crab-swarms-migration-explained-crab-pile_1.jpg

I am not thinking straight... I think I am dehydrated.

IMG_2210.jpg

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I'm a member at MCFG and I like the idea of an open house. I hope the club will spend the money and look at seeing what needs to be done to allow rifles on the range.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Is that a Magpul CLAW on that C.R.A.B.?

While a lightweight trigger can help a shooter, my opinion is that they mask underlying trigger control problems. If a newbie can learn to precision shoot well with a single stage trigger then the move to a better trigger is warranted.

Don't get me wrong, I really LIKE a good trigger, I just think that starting with one can handicap a shooter down the road.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Is that a Magpul CLAW on that C.R.A.B.?

While a lightweight trigger can help a shooter, my opinion is that they mask underlying trigger control problems. If a newbie can learn to precision shoot well with a single stage trigger then the move to a better trigger is warranted.

Don't get me wrong, I really LIKE a good trigger, I just think that starting with one can handicap a shooter down the road.

I ... disagree.

Saddling a new shooter with a bad trigger, will end up in frustration and the shooter not being able to tell wether he did something wrong and messed up the shot, or else the trigger was just godawfull horrible, and write the whole gun off as a POS.

Not saying the trigger needs to be light, but a good trigger is a must on any gun.

Remember, the goal with new shooters is to teach them success, enjoyment, and take them down the road of enjoying the process....

Not sure where a terrible trigger plays into that. There is so much more that a new shooter need to focus on, taking one handicap out of the equation is NOT a bad thing to do.

When I take a new shooters to say, a Appleseed event, do I hand them a gun with a trigger that would make a electric drill seem like a 1911?

Uh.. no. The goal is success, success breeds enthusiasm, and enthusiasm is what we need in the new generation of shooters.

My sons first handgun, WONT be a HI-POINT just because it will make him shoot the 1911 he might get someday better :)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I ... disagree.

Saddling a new shooter with a bad trigger, will end up in frustration and the shooter not being able to tell wether he did something wrong and messed up the shot, or else the trigger was just godawfull horrible, and write the whole gun off as a POS.

:)

Please reread what I posted. I didn't say a BAD trigger, I said a single stage trigger. A bad trigger is a bad trigger, but not all single stage triggers are bad. I can see from my last sentence that I may have given that impression, I should have said "starting with a two stage trigger..."

I have several guns with single stage triggers that I like way better than any of my two stage triggers. I have a Remington 700 SPS in .223 with a stock trigger that surprises me each and every time with the break. I cannot anticipate it no matter how much I try, and it's my favorite trigger out of ALL of my rifles.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Please reread what I posted. I didn't say a BAD trigger, I said a single stage trigger. A bad trigger is a bad trigger, but not all single stage triggers are bad. I can see from my last sentence that I may have given that impression, I should have said "starting with a two stage trigger..."

I have several guns with single stage triggers that I like way better than any of my two stage triggers. I have a Remington 700 SPS in .223 with a stock trigger that surprises me each and every time with the break. I cannot anticipate it no matter how much I try, and it's my favorite trigger out of ALL of my rifles.

Gotcha. Yeah I thought you meant "bad". :)

The Geissele single stages are FANTASTIC I just shot one of those last week, and its on my list :)

Top Bottom