• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    I've been doing USPSA matches for about 2 1/2 years, and all of them in Indiana. I don't have a good frame of reference from other states, but I have yet to go home from a match disappointed with the quality or quantity of the stages. IMO, just browsing results from other club matches in other states shows how fortunate we are to have a great group of people providing locations with good matches to choose from.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I personally prefer harder stages with hardcover and no shoots and longer shots thrown in. But when I RO these stages and have a newer shooter or a C or D class shooter that struggles with these stages it makes me hope it doesn't discourage them to badly.
    I don't mind some movement but if it is a long field course I won't be eager to pick up the timer and RO as I will only want to run one time especially if it is HOT. Long field courses that are spread out are hard on RO's not only running the shooter but the RO has to walk a lot to score every target.
    I prefer 28-32 round stages personally because if I'm driving 1 to 2.5 hours to a match and paying a entry fee I want to shoot as much as I can.
    I don't like low ports because I'm old and fat.

It is interesting to see the different match directors stages and usually you can tell what division they shoot by the stages they set up.
    It is tricky to set up challenging stages that doesn't crush and defeat the new shooters.

Like several have said before we have it good in our area with clubs that have great stages.
    I was the match director for the Area 5 in 1997 when it was at Deer Creek and it was (only)10 stages and I can tell you that the stages were no better than what everyone is shooting at monthly matches. In fact while I don't remember the stages I doubt if they were as good as what we are shooting locally every weekend.

Thanks to all the Match Directors and crews that help put the local matches on:yesway:.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I will say that I really struggle with Par time courses. My hearing loss combined with the electronic muffs shutting off since other stages are shooting make hearing the second beep almost impossible. So I just stop way short. But I do get it, it's not all about me.

Some ROs are better than others at holding the timer close. A good experienced RO will hold the timer as close to your ear as possible. For some folks, even that won't help. But mention it to the RO to hold it close so you can hear it, if he/she's not already doing that. I used to shoot w/ a guy who was basically deaf. Even on the start beep I'd touch his shoulder w/ the timer as I hit the button. The RO could do the same for the end beep. I suggest turning electronic ear pro off for fixed time courses (I turn mine off whenever I shoot). The beep stands out better when it doesn't have to compete w/ other background noise cutting in/out, imo.

You might experiment w/ different timers. Some are lower pitched buzz sounds, some are high pitched beeps, and sometimes folks w/ hearing loss can hear better in a different frequency range. Maybe we could find one that works better, or keep a couple timers in the bucket.

-rvb

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Some ROs are better than others at holding the timer close. A good experienced RO will hold the timer as close to your ear as possible. For some folks, even that won't help. But mention it to the RO to hold it close so you can hear it, if he/she's not already doing that. I used to shoot w/ a guy who was basically deaf. Even on the start beep I'd touch his shoulder w/ the timer as I hit the button. The RO could do the same for the end beep. I suggest turning electronic ear pro off for fixed time courses (I turn mine off whenever I shoot). The beep stands out better when it doesn't have to compete w/ other background noise cutting in/out, imo.

You might experiment w/ different timers. Some are lower pitched buzz sounds, some are high pitched beeps, and sometimes folks w/ hearing loss can hear better in a different frequency range. Maybe we could find one that works better, or keep a couple timers in the bucket.

-rvb

There is a gentleman that shoots our majors that can't hear the beeper. He asks that he be tapped with timer when you press the button

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    A good mix of short, medium, and long stages, both hose fests and technical memory stages, not a big fan of stupid human tricks, but some can be fun, and classifiers, can't go wrong with classifiers!

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    I don't like STUPID stages that push the 180 to 179.9 or are so difficult C and B shooters really struggle to even complete the course of fire. If it is not fun WHY do it. You can make stages challenging with some tight shoots and some memory but don't go to extremes just because you are a Master class shooter doing the stages for some club. My 2 cents. Max

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I hate matches that make people use long words like 'gratuitious'.

If I wanted to hang around people who talked like that I would golf or something.

Who is stopping you? Get kicked out of deer camp because of that little trick with the wind pipe?

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    I vote for stages by any of the Indiana MD's. I like the range of stages at the club level. I know many of the new shooters at ACC and the only comment I have heard is "that was tough but I made it through". I've not heard any other complaints. And I wouldn't judge that as a complaint. The shooter is still coming to matches. Has anyone said they are not fun? Personally, when I'm no longer improving or being challenged I'm moving on to something that is. USPSA is very young in the big picture and I see many more growing pains.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Well, Area 5 last weekend was about moving your feet a lot, far and near targets, moving and sliding targets, memory, no shoots and tuxedos. I sucked but it was fun as hell.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    I personally prefer harder stages with hardcover and no shoots and longer shots thrown in. But when I RO these stages and have a newer shooter or a C or D class shooter that struggles with these stages it makes me hope it doesn't discourage them to badly.
    I don't mind some movement but if it is a long field course I won't be eager to pick up the timer and RO as I will only want to run one time especially if it is HOT. Long field courses that are spread out are hard on RO's not only running the shooter but the RO has to walk a lot to score every target.
    I prefer 28-32 round stages personally because if I'm driving 1 to 2.5 hours to a match and paying a entry fee I want to shoot as much as I can.
    I don't like low ports because I'm old and fat.

It is interesting to see the different match directors stages and usually you can tell what division they shoot by the stages they set up.
    It is tricky to set up challenging stages that doesn't crush and defeat the new shooters.

Like several have said before we have it good in our area with clubs that have great stages.
    I was the match director for the Area 5 in 1997 when it was at Deer Creek and it was (only)10 stages and I can tell you that the stages were no better than what everyone is shooting at monthly matches. In fact while I don't remember the stages I doubt if they were as good as what we are shooting locally every weekend.

Thanks to all the Match Directors and crews that help put the local matches on:yesway:.
    I remember that match, it had some pretty good stages! it also had the "mix" of short courses etc. I had no idea you were the MD!

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE

-rvb

I appreciate what you say. I asked for him to tap me at one previous and he tapped me at the buzzer and I stopped shooting. I was over time just from the persons reaction and mine. The latest one I asked and he tapped at the start but did not understand what I was asking at the end of the par time.

I honestly think I cannot hear it when I am shooting mostly. It seems so anyway.

I can look into a loud beeper on the net and see if someone makes one.

It is not a big deal as we seldomly see these stages. I will just judge the best I can and no harm no foul. I am just happy to be able to shoot the matches that all the clubs put on. I just enjoy it. Nothing is perfect and everyone struggles with something. This is mine. Believe me I am use to it.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    A lot of good info..

I do agree that our local matches need to be welcoming to new shooters but we also have to keep the experienced guys and gals coming back.
    I too do not like a lot of movement with out shooting something. That just make the stage a who can move the fastest. Well as you can tell by my times this last match it was not me..:):
    We have a couple new stage designers at ACC and they are learning the in and outs of stage design. It will get better. I myself find it difficult to have a large bay and only put a 24rd stage on it. But that's just me.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What I had mind didn't translate real well to the range. Still learning.

A lot of good info..
    We have a couple new stage designers at ACC and they are learning the in and outs of stage design. It will get better.

That's awesome to have more folks helping design / build stages. There is a learning curve there. I know I regret a couple of a my first stages (not saying anyone should feel bad about acc's this weekend, I enjoyed them all even if I did shoot them like crap). It's hard to make everyone happy and follow the millions rules on course design.

Thanks for stepping up and you're off to a great start!

-rvb

Top Bottom