• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I have a 17hmr barrel that measures .700 " diameter if i read the CIP chart correctly the worst steel they list needs .091 wall thicknesd so. 300+.91+.91=.500ish so i should have. 200 safety margin or double the minimum. Have i missed anything? Is my math or formula way off? Im Considering it as a shotgun insert

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    17 hmr =Bullet diameter .179 in (4.5 mm)
    17 Hornet =Bullet diameter .172 in (4.4 mm)

.17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire (4.5×27mmR), commonly known as the .17 HMR, is a rimfire rifle cartridge developed by the ammunition company Hornady in 2002. It descended from the .22 Magnum by necking down the .22 Magnum case to take a .17 caliber (4.5 mm) bullet. Commonly loaded with a 17 grain (1.1 g) bullet, it can deliver muzzle velocities in excess of 775 m/s (2550 ft/s

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    So you're telling me that Hornady, a going bullet business with millions of bullets in a diameter that they already sell, built a proprietary cartridge with a bullet .007" larger than the millions of bullets they already had and have the machinery to manufacture?

Somebody fire that genius.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I guess i had read that its the same well tested bullet they use in such and such it never once crossed my mind it could be different, or that the media wod lie to me! Well balls thought i had a good use for that tube

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I rechambered a few H&R Sportster 17 HMR barrels for a friend several years ago to 17 Ackley Hornet, before the 17 Hornet became commercialized.

He is still shooting them, using .172 diameter projectiles.

According to the Q&A on the product webpage Brownells 17 caliber barrel liners are .3125" OD.

There are no quotes from Wikipedia in this post being passed off as knowledge.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I rechambered a few H&R Sportster 17 HMR barrels for a friend several years ago to 17 Ackley Hornet, before the 17 Hornet became commercialized.
    I bet tossing those bullets down that hallway they shoot extremely well.. Money well spent on that conversion.

He is still shooting them, using .172 diameter projectiles.

According to the Q&A on the product webpage Brownells 17 caliber barrel liners are .3125" OD.
    And that has what ( nothing ) to do with this conversation ?

There are no quotes from Wikipedia in this post being passed off as knowledge.

But it's funny that you went there to check before posting..
    Note to self..... Even though you knew there was a difference, don't use a paragraph to help explain anything because someone who looks at wiki might not be happy with you...:rolleyes:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    According to saami, the 17 hmr uses a .1725 bullet diameter.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rimfire/17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire.pdf

.177 is used in pneumatic stuff, but other than that, I think everything is .172, including, it appears, the rimfires.

I get what you are saying..
    Not to many years ago, 17 caliber 15 & 18 grain .172 bullets were really hard to find.. Berger made them.. On and off. Now with new owners its off.
    I looked into pulling HM2 ( back when they were 3.50 a box ) and hmr bullets to use in the little 17 center tires my kid and I shoot.. That's when I learned there was a difference..
    About everywhere but saami has the bullet specs at what I posted above..
    It's a interesting topic for sure....

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    It is blatantly obvious what comes from Wikipedia with the metric designations.

The H&R barrels shoot very well actually.

If you'll go back to the OP's actual question before you started spreading misinformation, he was looking for a reference point for barrel thickness for his barrel insert project.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I get what you are saying..
    Not to many years ago, 17 caliber 15 & 18 grain .172 bullets were really hard to find.. Berger made them.. On and off. Now with new owners its off.
    I looked into pulling HM2 ( back when they were 3.50 a box ) and hmr bullets to use in the little 17 center tires my kid and I shoot.. That's when I learned there was a difference..
    About everywhere but saami has the bullet specs at what I posted above..
    It's a interesting topic for sure....

That is not surprising, but silly none the less. Kind of like .308, .311, and whatever the 7.62x39 is (.309?).

Anyway, OP, given the multiple choices, you might be best served by having a competent gunsmith measure your bore before proceeding. Then again, a good smith will likely understand the differences and measure it anyway.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It is blatantly obvious what comes from Wikipedia with the metric designations.
    And your point is ????

The H&R barrels shoot very well actually.
    I'm glad it worked out for your customer.. Really...

If you'll go back to the OP's actual question before you started spreading misinformation, he was looking for a reference point for barrel thickness for his barrel insert project.

I gotta chief, the next time someone is going to do a conversion that could be a safety issue I will not say anything.. That's my internet promice...

And back to that metric ammunition thing...... Ahhhhhhhh. Never mind...

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I looked over on green mountains website and the barrel the y list as 17 hornady has same 169/173 bore groove as rest of 17 barrels. I wonder if hornady is using the swage to increase accuracy and velocity??????? I will try and figure out how to accurately slug my barrel and see what it is.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Also please forgive the tangent on bore, the original question of is a stainless rimfire barrel strong enough too be rechambered in 17 hornet at a diameter of .700 is still out there for debate

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It's been done and documented on the web a few times and it's worked well.
    I tend to believe that most metals used in rimfire barrels are of a lower quality.
    I'm not saying it's poor quality, but there's no reason for the manufacture to spend money unnecessarily if it not needed.
    And I'm not saying it's unsafe because it's been done already.
    I certainly believe that you would eat through the chambers throat reasonably quick with the lower grade steel..
    To me, for the money that it would cost to use the rimfire barrel, I would just order a center fire barrel myself..

Edit... For what you want to do with it.. I would do it.. There's really not a huge downside.. Good Luck..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom