• ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, one stamp for each NFA item.

Yep.

1 tax stamp for each suppressor, each machine gun, each SBR, each AOW, and each SBS.

A small saving grace is that if you purchase a machine gun, you don't also have to pay another tax if it's also "short". The MG designation "trumps" the length requirements.

All but the AOW's = a $200 excise tax.

OAW = $5 (transfer tax, that is. If you manufacture your own it's $200)

Clear as mud? :n00b:

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    Thank you. One other question does each suppressor require a form 4 as well? Sorry for so many questions. Just wanting to get some basic knowledge before I start the whole process.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Also worth noting if you are buying something from a non licensed individual that is in another state, it will cost you two $200 stamps. One to transfer it here and another to transfer it to you. If you are buying a are suppressor from a manufacture, this obviously wouldn't apply.

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    Also worth noting if you are buying something from a non licensed individual that is in another state, it will cost you two $200 stamps. One to transfer it here and another to transfer it to you. If you are buying a are suppressor from a manufacture, this obviously wouldn't apply.
    Why would that be 2 stamps I didn't think it cost anything to transfer to a dealer

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

That is incorrect.

It will have to be transfered from a dealer, but there is no stamp involved. The transfer may take a few weeks to be approved, and the dealers involved will likely charge something (most dealers charge more than $50) but it does not require two stamps.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Actually he is correct. Transfers from individul Form 4's across state lines still cost $200 to the dealer and $200 to the end user. Only if the can is on a SOT's book (regardless if on a form 3 or 4) does it transfer to a out of state dealer tax free.

The only tax free transfers are licensee to licensee transfers

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Really? I always thought that it did not cost to have it transfered to onto a dealers books. Wow, I guess you learn something new every day.

The Devil is in the details.

It all depends on where the original transfer originates. If it originates from an individual you get dinged a tax.

If it originates from a SOT/Dealer you don't get dinged. (That ding has already been paid for by the SOTs/Dealers involved)

Clear as mud! :n00b:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Really? I always thought that it did not cost to have it transfered to onto a dealers books. Wow, I guess you learn something new every day.

This is one reason that the used can market on the retail level is almost non-existant until you get into $1200-$2000 cans. It cost a dealer a $200 tax to buy a can or take one in on trade, even from someone in our own state.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    All of the above are correct.

Basically most any transfer TO or FROM a non-SOT is a tax-paid transfer (inheritance is tax-free).

In fact, you could have a regular FFL order you a suppressor, but it would have to go tax-paid from the mfg/distributor to him, then tax-paid to you.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I have been wondering something, before 1968 and the FFL system cam into play could you sell NFA firearms across state lines as an individual?

Top Bottom