• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have central air and a mother who lives with me that has breathing difficulties. A power outage in the heat of summer would kill her without air conditioning I need the house fully functional, not some sort of adventure campout

^^This. Minimum at our house is heat, a/c, refrigeration, lights, and our AT&T modem because it supplies phone/TV/internet. I don't see the point of spending thousands of dollars on something and then doing it half***ed.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    There is NO difference between the 2 series (Guardian/Centurian) except for the name! Seriously, no difference but the name.

Seems really weird to have an entire line sold by just Lowes, but it was confirmed by Genrac via a inquiry email that Centurian is same gen just sold by Lowes

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    ^^This. Minimum at our house is heat, a/c, refrigeration, lights, and our AT&T modem because it supplies phone/TV/internet. I don't see the point of spending thousands of dollars on something and then doing it half***ed.

Something you'll want to consider is gas consumption. These big generators suck down the fuel even when there isn't much of a load. I considered going with a Generac and I never could get a decent estimate of consumption and what it'd cost to run one on a 100# tank.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They have panels with circuitry that will cut some circuits when other higher priority circuits like airconditioning, sewer ejector punp, etc are on and then restore them when the load from those circuits isn't being used. I like the idea of having enough capability but minimizing stress on the generator, particularly on startup.
    You think you have enough to stress the generator? We have a well, A/C, regular Fridge/Freezer, two freezers, and an extra fridge. Our 20Kw has no issue with the load.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    All I can say in response to this thread, is PRIORITIES. If something happened I wouldn't want to be yoked with the likes of guys who think A/C and their modem is a must have. If you have an illness that's one thing, but the vast majority of us won't die without our ac for a few days, geez. I have a 3k sq ft house, and I recently downgraded to a honda 2k inverter generator from an 8.5k. My natural gas furnace fan pulls 6.5 amps on startup, and about 3 while running, and I still have plenty to run the fridge and a few lights. If I really want to watch a movie, I can fire up my woodstove and run the TV and home theater no problem. The honda is MUCH quieter than the big one was, (think stealth) and it SIPS gas. At WOT it will burn about a gallon every 8 hours, so with 4 5 gallon tanks I have enough to run a week straight, and if all i'm running is a few lights and the fridge just cycling it'll do 14-15 hours on a gallon.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Check with your natural gas supplier. I bought a 14kW that runs my whole house and have the largest residential gas meter they have (i think that was like $700 to change). They said it was undersized but i told them i had no plans to utilize all the gas sources while on the generator. I bought mine online free delivery.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

I hope we never had a serious catastrophe that shuts down the Nat. gas supply. You will be dead in the water.
    We have gas genny's that will run as long as we have fuel for them. We can get more fuel, you can not get more Nat. gas if it shuts down.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

I hope we never had a serious catastrophe that shuts down the Nat. gas supply. You will be dead in the water.
    We have gas genny's that will run as long as we have fuel for them. We can get more fuel, you can not get more Nat. gas if it shuts down.

I have a gas generator, small portable. So far, it's great. But when work schedules you 3 doubles in a row.......
    I had to restock my fridge 3 times in a month.
    So I'm thinking the big automatic route.
    And, if I'm understanding them right, they can run propane.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Something you'll want to consider is gas consumption. These big generators suck down the fuel even when there isn't much of a load. I considered going with a Generac and I never could get a decent estimate of consumption and what it'd cost to run one on a 100# tank.

Ours is natural gas, so (I'm assuming) not costing quite as much as propane. My mom is 80 and not in good health, so heat and a/c are imortant, as is having a working landline. It's worth the cost for a few days now and then. (We're not trying to prepare for SHTF--- just for occasional outages.)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ours is natural gas, so (I'm assuming) not costing quite as much as propane. My mom is 80 and not in good health, so heat and a/c are imortant, as is having a working landline. It's worth the cost for a few days now and then. (We're not trying to prepare for SHTF--- just for occasional outages.)

Medical reasons, and a few others, are good reasons.
    But, that's a little different than people that can't do without electricity or they'll commence whining how the world has it in for them.
    I've heard some people, it's like mother nature personally stomped on their genitals.
    And they only lost power for a couple hours, and were in good health.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    All I can say in response to this thread, is PRIORITIES. If something happened I wouldn't want to be yoked with the likes of guys who think A/C and their modem is a must have. If you have an illness that's one thing, but the vast majority of us won't die without our ac for a few days, geez. I have a 3k sq ft house, and I recently downgraded to a honda 2k inverter generator from an 8.5k. My natural gas furnace fan pulls 6.5 amps on startup, and about 3 while running, and I still have plenty to run the fridge and a few lights. If I really want to watch a movie, I can fire up my woodstove and run the TV and home theater no problem. The honda is MUCH quieter than the big one was, (think stealth) and it SIPS gas. At WOT it will burn about a gallon every 8 hours, so with 4 5 gallon tanks I have enough to run a week straight, and if all i'm running is a few lights and the fridge just cycling it'll do 14-15 hours on a gallon.
    Wow. Judgmental much? Why should I make priorities when I can run everything at my house? Why should you care one way or another?

We did it your way for a while. I got tired of feeding gas to the generator when the power was out for more than a day. Now I don't have to worry about refilling the generator, getting it out and starting it, or even not being home when I have no power and losing possibly losing everything in my fridges and freezers.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Medical reasons, and a few others, are good reasons.
    But, that's a little different than people that can't do without electricity or they'll commence whining how the world has it in for them.
    I've heard some people, it's like mother nature personally stomped on their genitals.
    And they only lost power for a couple hours, and were in good health.
    You were watching me before I got my NG generator? :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is what most folks consider when making the decision to get a back-up system. I can see the convenience with the NG unit as that is usually the last utility to fail. Why not get a dual or tri-fuel unit. You are already close to being prepared for most any thing.
    We have a multi-battery inverter back up not unlike what a large motor home would have but with more amp hours available. This will run the fridge and the furnace with low load lighting as well for a decent period of time. Gas gennys for daytime loads including battery recharge. We are ready for what ever may come along and hope that it is minimal when it does.
    If there is an infrastructure failure, well, the genny is worth..........:dunno:

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    After our last power outage it seems like getting a Natural Gas standby generator is the way to go. It looks like based on my needs I will need 20,000 watts. Ive heard others say their installations cost 8k or more. I went to Menards and a 20k Genrac unit is about 4K. The transfer switch looks to be another 600. I would do all the prep myself and just hire an electrican to do the electrical connections. Im thinking I could wrap it up for around $5500.

I also visited genracs site and seem to show 2 different lines of standby generators, the Guardian, and the Centurian Series. Based on their website I can't see any difference between the 2, does anyone have any insight?

My decision on what to buy won't be a quick one and I have a lot more research to do. I welcome any information.

Id also be interested in recommendations on where to buy in NW Indiana

OK, I am of the lazy, leave it to the PROs world and just installed a new 17-20 kw (cant remember which) with a guy that does 250-300 a year. The initial consult included a proper sizing and we did end up having the gas meter upgraded. Even with the cost of the meter upgrade (and there are reasons that NIPSCO will not charge for this) having the guys do it was a piece of cake, and they were here, on the appointed day, and had it done and finished in less than a few hours... By the time you get an electrician involved and paying for that, you might as well have the guys do the whole thing, gas and electric. (they had two techs, one was a certified plumber as well as being an electrician...
    I cant recommend highly enough the following. I had researched at least two other locals and they didnt know squat. Cliff spent a good 1.5-2 hours explaning the whole thing to me, PRIOR to actually having a Contract.
    If you want further information, PM Me.
    (he also knows a lot about the differences between the Koehler, Generac and other brands)
    Call:
    Cliff Purnell, Jr.
    Cliff's Heating, A/C and Generators
    219-322-3380 or 219-864-1551.

I wont put any pricing on here, (not fair to him, but it was NOT 10 or even 8 grand...)

Yep, every monday at 11 AM for ten minutes, there is a quick ten minute reminder, that if necessary, it is ready and waiting to go to work...
    Rather reassuring actually...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

The OP, and yourself have a good reason to run heat/ central air due to health situations. That wasn't clear in the original post, so my comments about a smaller unit were made generically around typical needs. My decision to go with a 5kw unit wasn't "half assed" as you say, but was a balance of need and budget. I installed a system that meets my needs for right at $1000. For those of you that do need the extra power for central air, clearly you are willing to spend the extra money to have that capability, which is again a good balance of need and budget.

cardio1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    South of Paradise
    After our last power outage it seems like getting a Natural Gas standby generator is the way to go. It looks like based on my needs I will need 20,000 watts. Ive heard others say their installations cost 8k or more. I went to Menards and a 20k Genrac unit is about 4K. The transfer switch looks to be another 600. I would do all the prep myself and just hire an electrican to do the electrical connections. Im thinking I could wrap it up for around $5500.

I also visited genracs site and seem to show 2 different lines of standby generators, the Guardian, and the Centurian Series. Based on their website I can't see any difference between the 2, does anyone have any insight?

My decision on what to buy won't be a quick one and I have a lot more research to do. I welcome any information.

Id also be interested in recommendations on where to buy in NW Indiana

I've had a 20kw Koehler for 20 years and very satisfied. The unit size has shrunk significantly over that time as has the price. Beats earthquake insurance for return on investment :):

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

I am a gas serviceman and have done quite a few meter upgrades for people installing generators. Depending on the size of the generator you may need a meter upgrade due to the volume required. Generac is the way to go.

Small meters do not allow enough volume in certain circumstances. Yes, your appliances will work but with poor flame characteristics if trying to run too much on too small of a meter. Sometimes they will be o.k. in the summer but when winter comes and the furnace is running along with a water heater and generator it won't cut it. It is like having your stove burners turned up all the way but the flames look like it is set to simmer. Imagine your furnace doing that. Penny wise and pound foolish.

I have been on many "low pressure" calls due to undersize meters. One place keeps calling in all the time starting during heating season. Everything is fine in the summer. They are running commercial equipment on a small house meter and wonder why things aren't working right. Pipe sizing can also play a role. There is a formula for that which includes BTU's at each length of run for the pipe.

Many times it is not a problem but in some circumstances it is. Something to consider.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I talked to Nipsco and the guy on the phone told me my gas line and meter should be fine, if anything they would need to turn up my pressure, which seemed a little odd to me. I ordered a 17k Genrac with the load shedding transfer switch from Menards on Friday. They had the lowest price and im getting a 11 percent rebate

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    We have a 15K system. Best we can estimate... it uses about $2.00 of NG per hour. Longest it's ever run was 5 days. Usually, just for 2-5 hours.

Top Bottom