• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    As suggested by INGOs very own Sith Lord this is for those of us who have actually seen the movie and would like to discuss the film.

** Attention- Spoilers Ahead **

Do not read this thread if you do not want to know what happens in the movie.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    ** Spoilers Here **

I thought the film was great. I thought JJ did a fantastic job. Action, humor and great effects.

Here are my two gripes I had with the film.

1. They kill off Han Solo, really? What the s*** were they thinking? Probably the franchises most beloved character and you kill him off first movie. Have him fly off in the sunset with Chewie in the Falcon, but dont kill him off. I am still pissed about this one. Yes, yes, they are handing over the reins to a younger group. . . I dont care, dont kill off f*****g Han Solo. Sorry for the rant.

2. My last issue was with Rey. So one day she is collecting scrap metal on a desert planet the next day she is whooping on Adam Driver, a Sith Lord, with a lightsaber. It took Luke three movies and two Jedi Masters to know what he was doing. But her? It took her all of 24 hours to become a Jedi and a lightsaber expert.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Rey may have more of an uber connection with the force than Luke or Anakin? I would definitely not call her an expert with a light saber, more shear luck and allowing the force to flow within her. She had heard the legends of Luke and the force so perhaps she was just more open minded about it than Luke. Remember she had always had dreams about a water planet and an island, she heard her childhood calling to her in the bar.

And I'm holding out the somehow the force saves Han and he'll reappear in the next episode. Hey it could happen!

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    I think Rey has been "using" the force for a while. I think her acrobatic/climbing skills are an example of that. Anakin was a good pod racer because he had force "powers", as much as I hate drawing a comparison between I and VII.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I loved it. I felt like the score wasn't that strong though. And it was odd how Rey became so adept to the force so quickly. Although some people are saying she is Luke's daughter. We'll just have to wait for the next ones.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I know the silver stormtrooper is a girl, but was there a second female stormtrooper near the end? There was a scene in the death planet where a stormtrooper faces another or an officer, and the storm trooper had a female voice but she was in white armor.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    So...
    1. When Kylo took off with Rey, where were all those X-wings that were just kicking TIE ass a few seconds ago?
    2. She was climbing all around inside the oscillator, and NO ONE saw her?
    3. The only time Chewie misses is when he's shooting at a stationary target (Kylo)?
    4. Kylo blasts Rey with the force and smashes her into a tree, but forgets to use similar force stuff throughout the rest of the fight?
    5. Overwhelming force present, but when the Falcon tries to escape, they send 2 (JUST 2) TIEs after it?
    6. The most sensitive part of the whole array - the oscillator - is COMPLETELY UNGUARDED?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I enjoyed the movie overall but .... it really felt derivative. Another death star. Another X-wing / Tie fighter battle. A couple of them. Yawn.

But I liked the light saber duel and the 1000 year old lady with the strange eyes...and the giant darksider.

The first half hour seemed kind of choppy and that elephant robot with the guy who picked up BB8 out of the sand? Sure seemed 30 years ago. I thought they'd do a better job.

What I really liked though is no stupid creatures like JarJar and his buddies and no Ewoks.

All in all, a good film and a lot more worthy to be in the Star Wars legend than I - III.

Carrie Fisher's acting was great. She said more with her facial expressions than with the few lines they gave her. Rey is going to be a cool addition to the Jedis.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    So...
    1. When Kylo took off with Rey, where were all those X-wings that were just kicking TIE ass a few seconds ago?
    2. She was climbing all around inside the oscillator, and NO ONE saw her?
    3. The only time Chewie misses is when he's shooting at a stationary target (Kylo)?
    4. Kylo blasts Rey with the force and smashes her into a tree, but forgets to use similar force stuff throughout the rest of the fight?
    5. Overwhelming force present, but when the Falcon tries to escape, they send 2 (JUST 2) TIEs after it?
    6. The most sensitive part of the whole array - the oscillator - is COMPLETELY UNGUARDED?

The physics sucked on the StarKiller. Squashing a star down to fit inside the planet doesn't change the star's mass...or gravity. The surface of the planet would have been an oil slick when it ate the star.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Meh......

it it was ok, I'm a tougher critic in my older years. The plot lines were predictable and they could have worked harder. When they redid the bar scene, I was like, come on guys....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    See! I told you guys. Legit Star Wars fans are going to say "c'mon bro, how about some originality." Right now I want to punch JJ Abrams in the face.

-Droid(s) with secret intel ends up on desert planet
    -Teen on desert planet, wants more, but has family issues, finds droid
    -Quest to get droid's intel in right hands, starts with a trip on the Falcon
    -Solo runs afoul of gangsters
    -Cantina scene
    -Massive round structure destroys planet(s)
    -Death Star/Starkiller trench run after shielding goes down
    -Mentor character dies

How the "French connection united kingdom" does this pass the mustard for being anything other than a good-looking rehashed movie?

And how does a chick that has never held a lightsaber before, beat a guy who has actual training, albeit mediocre training? Solo's son wouldn't have lasted 5 seconds with padawan, hell maybe not even a youngling, but he should have handed that chick her A$5.
    And where are the other Jedi? Order 66 didn't kill them ALL off, you'd think some would've come out of hiding by now, and been helping Ole Grizzly Skywalker!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ok.... I liked the stopped blaster bolt....

I actually thought that was pretty cool too. I thought this Kylo dude must be really powerful. And then he got his butt handed to him by a teen. How am are we supposed to go forward after that? Assuming they don't introduce someone else more badass, we're stuck with a guy who isn't all that intimidating. Vader seemed invincible. Maul actually was invincible, but he had to showoff. Even the Doku dominated, until Yoda went full ninja on him. Please Lord, give us a better villain.

Top Bottom