• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Anybody out there shoot starling? has anybody ate them? It seems like it would be good practice for game birds and you would also be helping out with an invasive species. I had a teacher from one of those communist countries that said they used to eat crow and starling all the time and it was delicious. I just looked out back and saw like a dozen of them and my first thought was "I wonder how they taste".

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't think there is any law that would prohibit killing starlings, other than animal cruelty laws. As far as thinning out their numbers, it's about the same thing as coyotes, squirrels, and rabbits (or any other prolific breeding species). Even if you're able to harvest as much as 60 percent of the total population, they can make that back up the next breeding season.

As far as how they taste, I've never heard of anyone who's ever eaten one.

I do have a cookbook that details old, old recipes, along with ways to use modern ingredients to replicate them now. That book has a recipe for "Blackbird Pie" and the modern equivalent substitutes starlings for the blackbirds. I've thought about trying it, but I never have.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    DNR says you can kill them all year round. I figured i could get some practice but i dont want to kill anything im not going to eat. There is an old man that comes down to the river and fishes next to me (dont know his name just call him old man and he calls me kid its one of those cool manly friendships) that says he uses them for catfish and turtle bait from time to time. Now i really want to try one. I assume you would clean them the same as a dove. Might have to get some BBs and shot one or two

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Starlings are a host to many diseases that can be spread to humans, including West Nile. I would not
    want to take the chance.

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I dont kill anything I dont intend to eat or use in the best way i can. I guess if we have a fish fry or something i could use them as bait.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I shoot them when they decided to poop on my car. They got used to the gold colored van but the new silver car was dive bombed repeatedly so I shot them. Now the car has been poop free since race day.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We keep suet cakes in the feeder all year long, and the starlings are regular customers. Live and let live I say.

Starlings are obnoxious. Even to each other. They're invasive vermin that will drive native cavity nesters out of their own nests. They'll plug a gutter or fill any open hole they'll fit in with sticks and filth. They are winged rats. Kill every one you can. Eat ' em at your own risk. I'd be sure to cook to 180° to kill any pathogens.

I'd like to choke the idiot that thought they were pretty and imported the first few to central park from Britain.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Starlings are obnoxious. Even to each other. They're invasive vermin that will drive native cavity nesters out of their own nests. They'll plug a gutter or fill any open hole they'll fit in with sticks and filth. They are winged rats. Kill every one you can. Eat ' em at your own risk. I'd be sure to cook to 180° to kill any pathogens.

I'd like to choke the idiot that thought they were pretty and imported the first few to central park from Britain.

I like starlings. They are very intelligent, opportunistic, and very versatile. You can find them in the country, in the city, by the seashore, hot places, cold places, wet places, and dry places.

It's true that they can be obnoxious, even to each other, and it's true that they will drive natives from their rightful place. And, I'll add that they are messy and they fight with each other, even will kill each other. But which of those qualities can you not also find in the human race.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Kill them. Kill them all. And add house sparrows to the kill list. Invasive exotics receive no quarter. Sure, they're just doing what comes naturally to them. And so am I - administering high-speed lead poisoning.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Yep..blast away. I used to service HVAC and they love to plug chimneys.. I know of several families that were a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning.. So the warm and fuzzy folks can take them home. As for me there like swatting flies. Rats with wings.
    Starling traps work well if don't want to choot em. 3" PVC pipe and a elbow.. Cut hole in 5 gallon bucket..fill halfway with water. Catch and release.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    A 12 gauge with #7 shot works nicely when they flock to a tree. Good clean fun:rofl: they actually destroy the eggs of native birds, native birds that help spread flower seeds, eat insects, and lay their own eggs. The catbird and red wing black bird will destroy the eggs, but most won't. They are the liberals of the bird community. They lay their eggs, then let other birds raise them. Kill. Them. All!

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    i like sitting on the front porch shooting em out of big maple tree. have oriels in the tree starlings are nest robbers and good practice with 22 for squirrel season. my cats wont eat them that tells me thier not fit for humans. guess it depends how hungry you are.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    A 12 gauge with #7 shot works nicely when they flock to a tree. Good clean fun:rofl: they actually destroy the eggs of native birds, native birds that help spread flower seeds, eat insects, and lay their own eggs. The catbird and red wing black bird will destroy the eggs, but most won't. They are the liberals of the bird community. They lay their eggs, then let other birds raise them. Kill. Them. All!

Actually you have the starling confused with the cowbird. The cowbird, a native species, is the one that lays it's eggs in other bird's nests. The starling will sometimes take over cavities occupied by other birds, but they raise their own. And, when I shoot them, I use my Crossman pellet gun. a 12 gauge just doesn't seem sporting, unless you're shooting them on the wing.

I don't see them as "liberals of the bird community" as much as typical European transplants into America. They came over here, displaced the natives, bred like rats, make a lot of noise, and generally made a mess of the place. Just like we did.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Actually you have the starling confused with the cowbird. The cowbird, a native species, is the one that lays it's eggs in other bird's nests. The starling will sometimes take over cavities occupied by other birds, but they raise their own. And, when I shoot them, I use my Crossman pellet gun. a 12 gauge just doesn't seem sporting, unless you're shooting them on the wing.

I don't see them as "liberals of the bird community" as much as typical European transplants into America. They came over here, displaced the natives, bred like rats, make a lot of noise, and generally made a mess of the place. Just like we did.
    Yep, your right, I got the two mixed up. Thanks:thumbsup:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I like starlings. They are very intelligent, opportunistic, and very versatile. You can find them in the country, in the city, by the seashore, hot places, cold places, wet places, and dry places.

It's true that they can be obnoxious, even to each other, and it's true that they will drive natives from their rightful place. And, I'll add that they are messy and they fight with each other, even will kill each other. But which of those qualities can you not also find in the human race.

So I presume you'd have us shoot humans that behave this way?
    False dichotomy may be the term I'm searching for. They are not human. They're an invasive species that does much more harm than good. Europeans, Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians may all fit this description in your mind but they're so much more trouble to dispose of that they're generally not worth the trouble to shoot unless they are an imminent threat.

Top Bottom