• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    I am the kind of person that learns very quickly from reading instructions. My main source of instructions for just about everything is the internet. I have realized that if the power goes out or if the server holding the information I need crashes, I am going to have a tough time getting the information I rely on.

I have decided to start incorporating printing free instructions off the internet in my prepping - and organizing them in three-ring binders. I just wanted to post about it in case anyone else realizes that if the power goes out, so does the internet, and so does a crapload of resources.

Remember that if you find a great resource on the internet that you can use for the future, print it out!

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    In a crisis, having time to read could be a problem but then again it might be the only recreation that's available.....

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    In a crisis, having time to read could be a problem but then again it might be the only recreation that's available.....

Most of the crisis situations I foresee have my house as the safest place to be.

Hyperinflation - Stay at home and start getting things ready to sell to get out of debt quick.
    Deflationary depression - Stay at home and start getting extra food ready to sell to pay mortgage.
    Civil unrest in large cities - Stay at home and watch the police state begin.
    Flood - Stay at home and play board games until I can start helping everyone around me.
    Complete government collapse - Stay at home, create a local economy and start helping each other survive.
    Grid collapse - Stay at home and start digging an underground ice box refrigerator since my wife will have no argument against it.

Short of war or a direct tornado hit I am not going anywhere. I want my library of resources to be handy. :D

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    One thing you can do instead of printing. If you have an alternate power source that can be used to power a laptop and printer. Scan/save all important documents including instructions on how to do things to an external hard drive. Keep hard drive and laptop in faraday cage just in case.

I have thought about printing stuff out. That would require a lot of paper and storage space though. Plus if you have to leave your home your going to want to travel as light and efficiently as possible. Carrying 50lbs of instruction on everything isn't feasible. With a hard drive you can just throw it in the bag and go.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    One thing you can do instead of printing. If you have an alternate power source that can be used to power a laptop and printer. Scan/save all important documents including instructions on how to do things to an external hard drive. Keep hard drive and laptop in faraday cage just in case.

I have thought about printing stuff out. That would require a lot of paper and storage space though. Plus if you have to leave your home your going to want to travel as light and efficiently as possible. Carrying 50lbs of instruction on everything isn't feasible. With a hard drive you can just throw it in the bag and go.

Very true, a good reason to have both I think. :yesway:

Another portable could be a pdf reader that either takes batteries or could be recharged with a small solar panel.

Your suggestion kind of makes me want a Kindle.... hmmm.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

Having hard copies available is a good hedge against low order probabilities such as EMP.

I've got a couple of things going on. One is that I when I replace my PDA (which I use mostly as an ebook reader) I keep the old ones (which are usually still serviceable) and they're stored in metal lockboxes which would act as a reasonably good shield against EMP. I can get one or more up and running along with the backup memory cards containing my library.

"Important" information (chemical recipes and "survival instructions") are in both hardcopy and electronic format. Electronic gives me a low weight "library" that I can carry while hardcopy gives me something durable against loss of electronics.

And, finally, I make a point of reviewing "critical" information regularly so that the information gets internalized to the point where I can proceed even without paper or silicon.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington

Yeah, but it's easier to read stuff on paper in the loo, then it is to sit there with a laptop...also a little less, weird;)

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Yeah, but it's easier to read stuff on paper in the loo, then it is to sit there with a laptop...also a little less, weird;)

Thats why I love my PDA. Fits in my pocket--about the size of a thin paperback--and is convenient to read anywhere.

I just hope the tech on the screens keeps up with my aging eyes. ;)

Top Bottom