• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You can start with a single stage Lee kit for just under $100, and three sets of dies at about $30 each. The equipment will be about $200 plus your primers, powder, and bullets. That is pretty much bargan basement. Better equipment will cost more. For example the Redding Boss kit is over $500, plus dies. With the Lee kit, you can get started and learn, and if you do not care to reload, you do not have that much money tied up.

There are lots of helpful people here, so don't be afraid to ask questions. Getting a reloading manual will help a lot too. Good Luck

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    If you plan on reloading a lot of pistol cartridges, I'd suggest a progressive press rather than a single stage. The extra money you spend on it will pay for itself with the time saved from the single stage press.

However, initial cost for 3 calibers... I'd estimate it at around $300 for components. That's if you already have brass saved from previous range trips. After adding in a press, length gauges, shellholders, yada yada yada... $400-750 depending on which press and dies you buy.

ballisticmike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    lots of used presses on craigslist. i just picked up a Dillon 550 for a good price. Looking for a 650 also. I will say this.. they go fast, u gotta be lucky to an extent right timing

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    You can also buy presses on ebay all day long. It's where I got my Lee single stage kit for $89 around christmas time. Only thing I suggest is price your dies, powder, bullets, casings if you need them, length gauges, etc etc before you buy the press.

I had my press for almost a month before I could use it simply because I wasn't ready for the cost of the components and extra little things I needed, like a primer pocket reamer and cleaner, length gauges, hand priming tool, case cutter, flat shellholder for the drill... you get my point.

Make sure you have it all priced out. You can go online and find everything you need and get a rough estimate of what it's going to cost you. You can also go to the next 1500 and probably get a pretty good deal if you buy everything at once from the same table.

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    Years ago when I started reloading.I had anold timer tell me your not going to save any money bit you'll shoot alot more. Id have to say he is probably correct. :dunno:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Should psychological therapy costs be included in startup costs for .380 since reloading the small cases could drive you nuts? Just wondering.

ballisticmike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Even though im a new reloader.. a good approach is get a quality setup. that way if you decide to sell or trade up it should be easy to do so. From what ive seen Dillon presses hold 80 even 90 % thier value !!

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I started with a used kit for $13 I bought off of ebay. It was a Lee Loader. Worked great and I really enjoyed it. I loaded several hundred rounds with nothing but that. That was enough for me to learn that I really enjoyed reloading and gave me justification to buy more equipment allowing me to expand my capabilities and increase my speed.

If I were doing it over again, I'd buy a Lee Anniversary kit right off the bat. But if you just want to give it a try on the cheap, I found the Lee Loader to be an effective and enjoyable tool to use.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Start simple..

Start simple with a single stage. Learn what it takes to do each stage of the process right. Once you decide you like it you can always move up to more expensive equipment.

I have been reloading rifle, pistol and shotgun for over 20 years. You do not need a $500 press to get stated. i still load eerything on a single stage, have NEVER loaded a squib load and have enjoyed it.

If you are not saving a substantial amount of money reloading, you are not doing it right! Bullets by the 500 count when possible, powder in largest quantity you can afford and primers by the 1000 at least.

Example: 45 ACP, Cast 230 gr, $5.60/box of 50. NOT counting the cost of brass since it gets reloaded many times.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    It really depends on how deep you want to go right off the bat. I picked up a Hornady single stage kit for $250 and was fine for my first year. You'll need to add in dies, etc and it should put you around 250-500.

I would say at this point my total investment has been around $1400. I built a nice table and have a single stage and progressive now though. Big cost per round savings start when you are casting your own.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Start simple with a single stage. Learn what it takes to do each stage of the process right. Once you decide you like it you can always move up to more expensive equipment.

I have been reloading rifle, pistol and shotgun for over 20 years. You do not need a $500 press to get stated. i still load eerything on a single stage, have NEVER loaded a squib load and have enjoyed it.

If you are not saving a substantial amount of money reloading, you are not doing it right! Bullets by the 500 count when possible, powder in largest quantity you can afford and primers by the 1000 at least.

Example: 45 ACP, Cast 230 gr, $5.60/box of 50. NOT counting the cost of brass since it gets reloaded many times.

+1 for the good advice

Same here I've been reloading for 20 + years myself. I still use single stage presses, (3 of them set for different jobs). Like you I enjoy doing this way and being able to check each stage of the process to make sure there's not a mistake. I don't find it to be too slow of a process done that way. Like Chance stated, it's best to learn each stage pf the process first before moving up.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I would suggest going to one of Andrew's classes. You will learn alot from him and he's always there for tech support from then on. I went and really enjoyed it and met 3 other INGO members.
    The other thing I do is I buy in bulk and then when I grab a box to go to the range I pay ( $10 for 100 rds of .45acp) into my Kitty. I am never broke and out of supplies that way.
    Sorry if I derailed your thread. Have fun!!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...supply_inc/154006-june_reloading_classes.html

Top Bottom