• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    So I finally got around to getting a lower and the parts to start my AR-15, I'll post pics of the final build once I can get the money for the upper I want. This is my first AR and my first time building so it was a fun learning process. My biggest complaint is that nobody in the world makes an allen wrench long enough to attach the pistol grip! :xmad: I had to go out a buy a set just to attach it, but aside from that it went pretty smoothly.
    So far, it's:
    RRA Stripped Lower
    CMMG Parts Kit
    M4 Style Collapsible Stock (soon to be installed)
    1-1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    My biggest complaint is that nobody in the world makes an allen wrench long enough to attach the pistol grip! :xmad: I had to go out a buy a set just to attach it,

You gotta think out of the box man,, you can use the long end of an allen key, put a box wrench on the short side for leverage.. or use an allen socket with an extension.. Snap-off does make a long one but it sure wouldn't pay off for a single build.. Doesn't matter now.. ya gott'r done..

I'm in the planning stages of my first build, complicated by the Bushy I already own.. Too many choices of calibers and other junk,, still not sure what to do besides order a few more lowers..:dunno:

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I'm leaning heavily towards a dedicated .22LR upper for mine.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing Scutter, I'm leaning the same way but I am in the middle of acquiring a Ciener (Army issued) and "need" about 5 other uppers between my two lowers..:D

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I suggest this upper to start with, BRAVO CO MFG 16 INCH GOVT PROFILE M4 UPPER .

The only upper better would be a BCM middie upper or an LMT.

My $.02

eta: Pitch the allen head bolt, the correct pistol grip screw use a flat head screw driver. (This is just me personal preference.)
    I actually considered that same upper, but I was leaning towards an A2. I suppose I could just get the detachable carry handle, though. I may look into that.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    You will be better off in the long run with a flat-top, it leaves your options open down the road in case you decide to run an RDS or other type of optic.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Gotta echo what Bigcraig said about the flattop. They are THE way to go IMHO for the versatility factor, especially for a first, or even second, AR build. Once you have a couple dozen in the safe, you may want to have an authentic A1 or A2, but before that I think everyone would be better off with a flattop.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Go chrome or go home.

You've probably said it more, but this is the second time I've seen you say this, Don. My understanding is that the chrome lining makes it last longer when not well cleaned, but that it degrades accuracy. I do not presently own a full AR but only a completed lower.

For those of us who don't know, (and I know you're very experienced building the things), why do you recommend a chromed barrel?

Blessings,
    B

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I will answer for Don on the chrome no chrome decision.

1) The chrome lined barrels of today are FAR better than those of yester-year, the process itself has been refined.

2) A good quality chrome barrel will out shoot most shooters skill.

3) Direct Impingement, the ARs mode of operation, is a dirty filthy mess with the only redeeming quality being accuracy. (Something to do with barrel harmonics.)

4) Chrome lined IS much easier to clean, those that say different probably don't run their guns hard enough to notice the benefit.

My advice when putting together your first AR is this, build the gun to be battle worthy, save the "fun" configurations for later on.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I will answer for Don on the chrome no chrome decision.

1) The chrome lined barrels of today are FAR better than those of yester-year, the process itself has been refined.

2) A good quality chrome barrel will out shoot most shooters skill.

3) Direct Impingement, the ARs mode of operation, is a dirty filthy mess with the only redeeming quality being accuracy. (Something to do with barrel harmonics.)

4) Chrome lined IS much easier to clean, those that say different probably don't run their guns hard enough to notice the benefit.

My advice when putting together your first AR is this, build the gun to be battle worthy, save the "fun" configurations for later on.

Very cool. Thanks for the reply, bigcraig. :)

Blessings,
    B

Top Bottom