• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rfsdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2009
    Looking for input as to best starter handgun for my 15 year old son (who has hopes of attending Naval Academy after high school). My first was a .22 revolver, but I'm wondering if he should have something more similar to what he will train with if he gets into the academy. Thanks in advance!

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Beretta 92fs or M9....these are standard military sidearms these days
    or go with a classic military sidearm.....Springfield Mil-Spec 1911.....If money is not an issue (ammo)

I love .22's, but for a 15 year-old boy, I don't think that it is a necessity to train him with a small caliber pistol. He should be able to handle the larger caliber just fine. If you go with the Beretta, it would be most likely the closest to his Navy issued pistol and 9mm is fairly reasonably priced.:twocents:

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Speaking from the perspective of someone who just purchased their first semi auto handgun, do not worry about type. It took me the better part of 5 minutes to get comfortable with a semi after using my 22 revolver for years. Just make sure it is reliable, easy to clean, and cheap to shoot so that he can use it as much as possible.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I don't think anyone is ever "too old" or "too advanced" for a .22 LR. .22 rimfire is probably the best training tool for shooters from beginner to master level. I believe that shooting about 75% .22 and 25% centerfire produces the best results.

A great way to go is to get a centerfire pistol and a .22 conversion kit that works with it. That way he can practice the same manual of arms with both calibers.

I know you can do this with 1911s and SIGs. A quick google search revealed that there are .22 conversion kits for the Baretta as well.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    My 2 cents is that a centerfire handgun is a terrible first gun, one of the good auto 22's on the market, the smith, browning, or ruger any one of them is a good gun, I would look for one with a built in scope rail or one that comes with a bolt on so in the future, after Iron sights are mastered the gun can be expanded to a scope if you wish,

You will be able to shoot 5 or so boxes of 22 for every box of centerfire that you buy. You won't be as likely to develop a flinch with a mild 22 report, any wondernine's are large around the grip and for beginning shooters hard to hold

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I used to think that revolvers make good trainers for getting started with shooting a handgun. I now believe that if a person wants to learn to shoot they'll get good with what they have. Just be there to provide good advice and stop bad habits from forming.

Ron

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    My 2 cents is that a centerfire handgun is a terrible first gun, one of the good auto 22's on the market, the smith, browning, or ruger any one of them is a good gun, I would look for one with a built in scope rail or one that comes with a bolt on so in the future, after Iron sights are mastered the gun can be expanded to a scope if you wish,

You will be able to shoot 5 or so boxes of 22 for every box of centerfire that you buy. You won't be as likely to develop a flinch with a mild 22 report, any wondernine's are large around the grip and for beginning shooters hard to hold

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    I definately second the idea that it should be a 22, the more shots down range the more practice he will get. If you want to get a centerfire too you could always get a centerfire with a 22 conversion kit. It's hard to beat the ruger mark series as a first handgun.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I think a 15 year old boy is capable of handling a 9mm pistol. If you can afford the ammo so he can get some good practice in, then go 9mm. If you can't afford the ammo then .22 is going to teach the basics the same as a 9mm will and will be cheaper to shoot. I don't think he needs to practice with the same model as used in the military. He just needs training with a handgun.

Just a note. If he ends up in the Marine Corps, officer or enlisted, every Marine is a rifleman. So everyone quall's with a rifle. Training with a rifle is just as important as training with a handgun.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    A 15 year old young man should be able to handle 9mm. But if you want him to develop excellent shooting habits, I would start with a .22LR. Browning Buckmark, Ruger MKII or 22/45 (NOT MKIII), or a fine S&W Kit Gun (pricey!) would all be excellent starter pistols. I wish I had started with .22LR... of course, I wish I could have started years ago, too.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    I would say go with a Sig 226 with a .22 slide or a CZ kadet, either can be upgraded to center fire later and were both designed as training guns. If you really want to make his day then get both slides, that was he can spend the bulk of his training on .22 and but still put 9mm down range when he wants and needs to. Both are great set ups, and their 9mm brothers are NATO guns.

Also if he is going to go to the Navy the 226 Navy would be a nice touch.

Sig 226 .22

CZ Kadet

FPDDURAMAX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Anderson
    My 2-cents start with a 22 so you can take him shooting alot for a very minimal amount of money for ammo. Then you could always upgrade to a 9mm they are farely cheap to shoot also! Get the basics down and go from there and enjoy your time together!!

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    I noticed that nobody mentioned a P22 as a starter handgun (unless I missed something). I'm looking at getting one as a starter pistol myself, because I like the price, the size, and I can add a suppressor quite easily.

GlockGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    +1 on the P22. I have one myself and use it from time to time when i don't want to send the $ on .45 or 9mm ammo. He can practice a whole lot for a whole little $.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    +1 on the P22. I have one myself and use it from time to time when i don't want to send the $ on .45 or 9mm ammo. He can practice a whole lot for a whole little $.

Wow. I think you may have set a record for longest live account before your first post (14 months). Welcome to the board, GlockGuy. :ingo:

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My suggestion

:patriot: First let me Kudos for Him aiming high on the Naval Academy both my Father and my Uncle served aboard The Heavy Cusier USS Louisville in lat WW2. My First choice would be a Ruger Single Six. Relatively inexsensive and a single action makes you concentrate on every shot. I just love to plink with mine and it will shoot any .22 cartridge. Next would be any of the Ruger Mark series in .22, again fairly inexspensive and .22's are still cheap, he can get plenty of practice. Then go with the Baretta M9 since that is the standard side arm. If he wants to try for SEALS then go for a 45 acp because I think they still use 45's but I don't think they are 1911's any more. :ar15:

Top Bottom