• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I just read Ted Koppel's book, Lights Out. It freaked me out enough that I'm looking to build a small stockpile. The problem is that we generally eat frozen veggies, and frozen meat. We don't eat that many canned goods (outside of tuna). We wouldn't eat enough canned good too keep a rotation going, so what does INGO recommend?

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    well you could learn to can things. its not really that hard and most the stuff you can get cheaply. have you looked into freeze dried items as well?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I just read Ted Koppel's book, Lights Out. It freaked me out enough that I'm looking to build a small stockpile. The problem is that we generally eat frozen veggies, and frozen meat. We don't eat that many canned goods (outside of tuna). We wouldn't eat enough canned good too keep a rotation going, so what does INGO recommend?
    Freeze dried, 25-30 years shelf life, no rotation really needed.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Freeze dried, dehydrateded, home canning of meat. Just remember you need a water source to reconstitute a lot of items. But it is the way to go shelf life is long .

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Loss of electricity for an extended period is what I prep for. I don't want to have to go anywhere for the duration.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Freeze dried, 25-30 years shelf life, no rotation really needed.

^^^THis^^^^

And can goods/water/etc. Water is the key. Canned soups put in rotation will last a few years if stored in a cool dry place.

Water. Water. Water.

We have genny's and stocked freezers. That will run you out for a while.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This.

Figure out what canned goods you can use in recipes you make often and use those. Canned goods are not tasty on average as frozen or fresh, no getting around that. When cooked right you can mitigate some of that.

Being able to cook.
    We have 2 dual burner Colmens and a good stash of 1# Propane bottles.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    Good point on the cooking part. Pretty easy to source an adapter for a 20# propane to hook up to your stove. Add to that spices so that you can mask the taste of things that in the best of times you wouldn't want to eat.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    From the mormons I've talked to they prep at about the same percentage rate as the general public. Very few actually have a deep larder.

I was referring to the distribution centers, where you can purchase bulk goods for long term storage.

Last edited:

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I agree with what 2in1Evtime & Churchmouse suggested; and not to put words in their mouth, I say yes to all. Keep the freezers stocked with what you eat, learn to can meats on your own also for added shelf life and stock some pre-canned meat to use in particular recipes. I saw an article here recently I believe, that many of Hormel's canned products have very long shelf life. I realize the taste of these products isn't like fresh meat, but if I have a recipe that calls for two pounds of ground beef I may use 1 lb fresh / frozen and 1 lb canned / pre-canned meat and combine in the recipe to help with rotation; and nobody in the fam knows any different. I also have a backup of freeze dried for long term storage and I use that from time to time on camping trips; family will eat anything when camping.

Ive been trying build my home canned meat supplies as we are trying to buy meat from local farmers and looking to have fewer crap in the meat. Not to go off on a tangent.

Last edited:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Here are a few sites to check out: Wise Food Company, Food4Patriots, Emergency Essentials, Food Insurance. (There are more sites)You can often get "free" 72 hour kits (just pay shipping/handling - usually around $6.95) at some of the sites. 4 packets which serve 4 people. That way you can sample some of their products to see if you want to spend more and get more (week, month, year)

Top Bottom