• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaDowd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Muncie, In
    I have been shooting for years now. I am looking to buy my first handgun. I have been looking at an XD-40 Compact (4" barrel) for a little wile. I have been told that a revolver will make me a much better shooter in the long run. I might carry every now and then, but not everyday. It will be more for home defense and target practice. Can anyone give me some insight?

Mrkeller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Greensburg
    If you're looking for HD and target practice, you can't go wrong with a Hi-point. That's right I'm suggesting a Hi-point. Low cost, great customer service, and they are reliable firearms. As well as accurate. And lets not forget about the lifetime warranty.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    1. Decide on what you want to spend.
    2. Go to a gun show or firearms retailer and handle as many different kinds of pistols as possible.
    3. Fire as many of the pistols that feel good in your hand as possible.
    4. Try to buy something that you will recoup most of your investment if you decide you dont like it.
    5. Give some serious thought to a used pistol that you know is in good shape.
    6. You are gonna get all kinds of suggestions because favorite guns are alot like a favorite car or motorcycle. Many reasons people like certain brands.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For occasional carry, HD, and practice, a mid-size semi-auto handgun is a good choice.

Pick a caliber and that will narrow the candidates down.

9mm/.40S&W/45acp are all common & effective w/modern loads. Do you anticipate anyone else using the handgun, like a wife and/or kids?

DaDowd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Muncie, In
    no my wife is terrified of guns in general, not anti-gun but they scare her. i was looking into a .40 I would love to get one i could recoup my cash on and am looking at the 400-500 range. I know what to look at in a long gun, are handguns pretty much the same?

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    I have a XD40 service model and imo I think its perfect for HD, Carry and target shooting. I dont know to much about long guns though.:dunno:

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    In handguns, it's more about your personal fit and comfort than anything. I'd suggest hitting a local indoor range and doing the rental thing or at least hitting a few shops and handling as many handguns as you can. M&P, Glock, and XD are all extremely popular on this forum and can be had in your price range or slightly more. You're already getting some great advice regarding use, carry or not, and other users of the handgun so now the trick is finding the time to get out and handle as many handguns as you can. The 4" XD and 3.8" XDM are both great guns - check the site supporters section on here as they usually have some really nice deals going.

If you're in the Indy area, PopGuns on the east side of Indianapolis is a great place to shoot an assortment of guns if you are so inclined. Avoid Don's Guns like the plague my brother!

DaDowd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Muncie, In
    Thanks for all of the input. Does anyone know the hours for Pop Guns? Maybe an address, and do they charge a big fee to shoot?

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Thanks for all of the input. Does anyone know the hours for Pop Guns? Maybe an address, and do they charge a big fee to shoot?

Here you go

PopGuns Indoor Shooting Range
    Family Indoor Shooting Range

Monday - 1PM to 7PM
    Tues-Sat - 10AM - 7PM
    Sunday - 11AM - 5PM

30 S. Post Road
    Indianapolis, IN 46219

They have a good rental selection but you have to buy their ammo. You pay one price for the rental and can rent everything on the wall but remember - you have to use their ammo. It's $20ish for an hour on the range and that includes eyes, ears, and a target.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i always go with a full size pistol. a pistol is only a weapon you would use to fight your way back to your rifle. the smaller they are the less lethal they are.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    i always go with a full size pistol. a pistol is only a weapon you would use to fight your way back to your rifle. the smaller they are the less lethal they are.

Not sure about the smaller they are the less lethal they are comment. (My model 30 Glock is just as lethal as its big brother, my 21, especially when I'm carrying the 21 mag as the reload for the 30.)

To the OP, personally I prefer a semi auto, having been through my share of revolvers in the past. I don't own an XD, but they seem pretty good. I prefer the Glocks as they sit lower in my hand than what an XD seems to (from handling in the store and taking a quick look at a friends), which should produce less muzzle flip/perceived recoil.

A lot of it depends on your comfort level with an auto, and model as others have said depends on preference, what external safety mechanisms you may want, etc.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Can anyone give me some insight?

My recommendation would be to take an "Introduction to Handguns" type course with a borrowed or rented Glock 19. I don't know where you're located, but the guys at ACT come first to mind. (I'd skip most NRA offerings, unless they did a fair share of actual shooting in the class)

Eight hours of professional instruction should give you some idea of what to look for in a handgun, especially in one that you might use for your own defense.

Good luck!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Eight hours of professional instruction should give you some idea of what to look for in a handgun, especially in one that you might use for your own defense.

Good luck!

That and along with more thought about carring it more often than what OP stated in opening post... Either that or a means to secure it when no one is home. One of the greatest fears I have always had is for son or wife to walk into the house alone and find themselves staring down the barrel of one of our own guns... When the wife and I leave the house, one is always on at least one of us and the rest locked in the safe.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think esrice makes a good point. If you are starting from scratch and do not have the benefit of shooting a hand gun much, that class would be an excellent starting point.

It might also be helpful to spend some time at a gun club if you have one available. There is a whole load of different hand guns available and just as many folks who would love to talk to you about them. That is certainly the case at MCF&G. I've been shooting for more than 50 years and I still learn about things when I'm at the range.

Just an aside on home defense. My preferences have changed over the years. An arthritic shoulder has done away with the 12 gauge room sweeper, and gone thru a short barreled carbine. Now, I keep a 13+1 Bersa Firestorm in 9mm, in the bedside drawer. With a second magazine, that's 27 rounds headed somebody's way, if needed.:twocents:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Can anyone give me some insight?

Does anyone know the hours for Pop Guns? Maybe an address, and do they charge a big fee to shoot?

IMO...Don't go to Pop's unless you would like to be ripped off. Their pricing is pretty high, and their CS sucks. Spend the extra drive time and go to Bradis, or Beech Grove Firearms. Yes, they do have an indoor range which is nice, but pricey. Last time I was there it was $18/hr and $5 for another shooter.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Suggestion...if it's your first handgun, I would suggest a nice .357mag revolver. They are good, solid, basic, easy to use and shoot, handguns. (A .357 mag revolver can also shoot .38's of all types....giving you cheaper rounds to practice with and get used to it.) Once you've mastered a revolver, then look at a semi-automatic...which can be a bit more complicated to operate than a revolver.

Glocks are similar to revolvers in that they do not have an 'external' safeties to have to mess around with. They have a nice trigger and anti-drop safety, but the only real safety on a Glock is the one between your ears. A Glock, like a revolver, is simply a 'pull, point-n-shoot' gun. If you do buy a Glock, just remember that if you buy a .357sig or .40 S&W pistol, you can also get a 9mm barrel for it that will allow you to have cheaper cost for target practice...however, the 9mm cannot made to go up to a .357sig or .40 S&W. :yesway:

A lot of people that I know have a semi-auto as a primary weapon and a revolver of some sort as their back-up weapon. I don't know anyone who truely relies on a semi-auto as their 'only weapon' while I do know of several individuals who rely on a revolver as an 'only' weapon.

Just my :twocents: !!!

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Suggestion...if it's your first handgun, I would suggest a nice .357mag revolver. They are good, solid, basic, easy to use and shoot, handguns. (A .357 mag revolver can also shoot .38's of all types....giving you cheaper rounds to practice with and get used to it.) Once you've mastered a revolver, then look at a semi-automatic...which can be a bit more complicated to operate than a revolver.

Glocks are similar to revolvers in that they do not have an 'external' safeties to have to mess around with. They have a nice trigger and anti-drop safety, but the only real safety on a Glock is the one between your ears. A Glock, like a revolver, is simply a 'pull, point-n-shoot' gun. If you do buy a Glock, just remember that if you buy a .357sig or .40 S&W pistol, you can also get a 9mm barrel for it that will allow you to have cheaper cost for target practice...however, the 9mm cannot made to go up to a .357sig or .40 S&W. :yesway:

A lot of people that I know have a semi-auto as a primary weapon and a revolver of some sort as their back-up weapon. I don't know anyone who truely relies on a semi-auto as their 'only weapon' while I do know of several individuals who rely on a revolver as an 'only' weapon.

Just my :twocents: !!!

+1

A s&w 640 is a great gun to take a look at. I love mine. I love my glock 23 as well.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    no my wife is terrified of guns in general, not anti-gun but they scare her. i was looking into a .40 I would love to get one i could recoup my cash on and am looking at the 400-500 range. I know what to look at in a long gun, are handguns pretty much the same?

For my first handgun I bought a GLOCK 22 which is a .40 s&w, and about 6 months later I wished I had bought a 9mm. Don't get sucked into worrying about a 9mm not being a 'manstopper' or not. I feel like the reason I went for the .40 is b/c I thought it was less of a wussy round and is cheaper than .45.

Find something that fits your hand, the XD's are fun as are the Sigs if you have big hands... Though they are a bit high priced for what you get, c'est la vie...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hard to beat a 4" service sized pistol in 9mm/.40S&W for all around flexability. Glock, XD, S&W MP, FNP, Ruger SR9 are all good firearms to use as a starting point. They are common, within the price range, and should hold their value pretty well. You just have to handle a few and see what you like.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've had a an XD in 9mm regret trading it...but didn't have money to buy a new gun. Great shooter and great trigger can't go wrong with an XD, or a Glock, or a 1911, or a nice used S&W revolver...I like the model 19 myself good luck and God Bless!

Top Bottom